June 18th, 2012
Fashion News, Kanye West
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Adidas pissed off a lot of black people after revealing plans to sell these orange shackle-adorned sneakers.

Dr. Boyce Watkins expressed his disappoval for the kicks in a piece for Your Black World“Shackles. The stuff that our ancestors wore for 400 years while experiencing the most horrific atrocities imaginable. Most of which were never documented in the history books and kept away from you in the educational system, all so you’d be willing to put shackles on your ankles today and not be so sensitive about it.” Meh, I’m less concerned about the percieved offensiveness of the shoes than I am about the one of the photos accompanging the Daily Mail article. It’s a drawing of shackled slaves next to modern-day shackled inmates, all of whom happen to be black. How far have we come in 400 years again?  Anyhow, do you find the shoes offensive? (Daily Mail)

• Australian designer Dion Lee has once again tapped Kanye West to design shoes for his Resort 2013 collection. The tie-up pumps look almost identical to the Nicholas Kirkwood-esque heels he created for Lee’s Fall 2012 offerings.   (Styleite)

• Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will award Sarah Burton with the Order of the British Empire for her contribution to British fashion, and general awesomeness. (Telegraph)

• If you needed a pair of impractical shoes for your next scuba diving adventure, Christian Louboutin‘s got you covered with these Snorkeling 100 neoprene booties. Get them for $895 at Shopbop. (SHEFinds)

Azealia Banks takes us behind the scenes of her video for Liquorice. I’m loving director Rankin‘s reaction to her flawless performance towards the end of the clip. “YAAAS,” he screams, “lovin’ it,” articulating how I felt each of the 20 times I watched the video this weekend. (noisey)

Hermès and the French police just busted a multi million dollar counterfeiting ring which knocked off about $22 million worth of Hermès wares with the help of the brand’s mployees. Said Hermès, “This operation concludes a one-year investigation following an Hermes complaint based on clues and abnormal behavior identified through the house’s internal monitoring systems.”  I guess that employee discount wasn’t enough to justify purchasing one of those exorbiantly priced Birkin bags! (Fashionista)

~Jihan

37 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Adidas Faces Backlash Over “Shackle” Sneakers, Kanye West Designs for Dion Lee Again, and Behind the Scenes of Azealia Banks’s Liquorice Video”

Before reading the Adidas article when I saw the shoes the prison inmates immediately came to mind. There are many more invisible shackles that should be offensive to black people. When compared to having a swastika on a shoe I can see the correlation. It can definitely be interpreted as offensive. In regards to the Licorice video I thought that I was the only one who loved that video. I watched it 20 times over when I should have been studying.

2. Dom says:

So beyond disgusted at the shackle sneakers. In what world would this be appropriate? I WEEP for the next generation. Truly Weep!

3. Uknow says:

The theme for Jeremy Scott x Adidas this season is King Kong. The shackles are most likely in reference to that. Why is the world black people would not only appropriate a symbol that could be used for anything (animals are shackled), make it their own, then choose to be offended by it is beyond me. Some people
    Have too much time on their hands, SMH.

4. kia says:

The crazy thing is black people are already walking around with Hermes Collier De Chien Bracelets that look like cuffs I don’t see why adding more shackles would make a difference

don’t support ignorance

5. Cliche says:

The Adidas sneakers are mostly offensive to me because they are a downright hideous contraption. They resemble something Barney might wear for his stay in the slammer. Bye, Adidas!

6. Siyam says:

@Uknow African Americans are one of the few, if not the only people to be shackled like animals. So it’s offensive and the truth is since people of color make up the bulk of the consumer base in that we purchase much more than our white counterparts, the folks who market to us would do well to think about what they create to sell. Also, if you weren’t aware, black people disproportionately populate the prisons and still pick cotton at Angola Correctional, so the shackles are still offensive.

7. Shanita says:

HAHAHAHA @Cliche! Preach, Siyam…But alas, my people perish for lack of knowledge!

8. Shanita says:

And Uknow can RE-SEAT themselves for such a weak comment. Some things will always be sensitive, no matter how far we get passed them. Hell, I can’t even watch Amistad without tearing-up and gettin emotional.

9. eJean1981 says:

These shoes are a non-starter. Whose idea was this anyway? It’s the most offensive “fashion” concept I’ve heard of in a loooong time.

10. Lynn says:

I hope the “shackle” trend doesn’t catch on because for me they will be a constant remainder of a criminal justice system that doesn’t always work. To many people are behind bars because the system is based on court rules and procedures and not the principles of truth and justice. I’ll shed a tear for those I love every time I see those shoes.

11. zimbabwechic says:

I am sure that Adidas cares. The money will roll in and black people will find a new company/person to be mad at. They thank you bringing them the necessary notoriety and publicity to warrant interest and sales.#intherealworld#

12. jojo says:

if you look at the style of the sneakers from a negative view then you will find them offensive, but they have more than one meaning it just that everyone usually goes whichever way the waves blows them if one FASHION ICON say it negative then everyone else will

13. whatevs says:

luv how certain demographics continue to show black people what they really think of them…end sarcasm…I’m just waiting for a non-black to get on tv and reaaalllly put it out there….

14. Ms.Missy says:

Um, first Dr. Boyce Watkins is male.

not only are the shackle sneakers offensive….but who in their right mind would wear such a horrible looking sneaker?

*whats crazy is ppl always talkin’ about AA/blacks are always crying about something being offensive, or reference to slavery, or “we” always pullin the Black card…. that black are sensitive….but I tell you this…. you cant never,ever say anything negative about Jews, the holocaust. Why? because they will not stand for it!

15. CommonSense says:

Uknow, humans, king kong or animals shackles are used the same way.

16. Dom says:

@ Ms.Missy

Exactly, and you never hear other marginalized groups speaking out against their own people for being offended by something that’s offensive. Black folks be the only ones talking about “you’re too sensitive” to other black people!

17. Jihan says:

@Ms.Missy Noted and fixed. thanks!

18. Utibe A. says:

They are offensive. Period. To show our disapproval, we need to stop with our support of the brand. Words mean nothing if the actions don’t support it. We can’t verbally show our disapproval, but go to the stores and buy these shoes up.

Besides, they are atrocious anyway. Who designed them? Im embarrassed for ADIDAS, for multiple reasons.

19. Savage says:

At the end of the day theses companies/the establishment pulls sh*t like this bc they can!! PERIOD. There will be some buffon wearing those kicks beating his/her chest like and ape. (Apologizing in advance, Sorry Claire and company) But we as a people put too much emphasis on fashion as a whole already. Its not even the amazing form of expression it once was, its more like who’s name is on it. They take away the shackles of past, clean them, paint them, put a name on it and make us pay to wear them…HELL NO. I adore fashion, but how much will this industry get away with until it is too much. What is your breaking point as a consumer?

20. Indigo says:

At this point,they could have sneakers with lil black lawn jockeys on them.. I could care less. Many that are upset don’t know they fuel mess like this. Especially when it comes to fashion. If you’re gonna stand for something,don’t do it half a$$. (shrug)

21. The Adidas shoes are offensive period. It has nothing to do with blacks being sensitive or the shackles having to do with King Kong. Some things just shouldn’t be given the time of day and sneakers with shackles are one of them. Someone should have stopped this before the image reached the public.

22. Jennifer says:

I don’t view the shackles as an homage to slavery; shackles have been used on people of all colors. I’m not offended by a pair of sneakers. There are far more symbolically (& literally) oppressive things about which I need to concern myself.

23. Izhause says:

Same thing I was pointing out about that damn urban outfitters hip hop tee with the words on it saying protein :Eat Chicken what were they Getting at trying to be sublime but Very blatant and no carish at the same time! Those tennis are Shamful too. Why didn’t urban outfitters say to eat granola or turkey…who makes this B.S. trying to imply this crap is so Cool and with it.

24. Izhause says:

Meant to say Shameful.

25. Danielle says:

On another note, a banks is super young. I didn’t know. She was only 20

26. STATUesque says:

Now I hope all these young people, rappers and others who think using the word Nigga opposed to nigger is changing or defusing the word and the situation. This is what you allow people to create when you allow then to call you a nigga homie. they see it [nigga] as an open door to throw slavery in our faces like it was just a day at the park for our people.

27. Nisa says:

@Uknow – so its all about fashion. Obviously you are not of a race that experienced being enslaved. And if you are, let’s see how you feel when you get fitted for a real pair of shackles or the unseen kind. And if you are not of an oppressed race they I pray that God puts compassion in your heart to really see the wrong that has been done by these sneakers. As the Shanita stated, please have a seat…in the front of the class please because you have learned nothing about this life we live in the world that we live. Please re-evaluate yourself and your morals! This is just ridiculous! Why would anyone of any race want shackles on their feet? I am at a loss as to why these needed to be created.

28. Ice says:

I’m all for the struggle but thinking these sneakers are in reference to slavery is definitely reaching. Expecting people to curve their creativity because of something that happened 400 years ago… thats umm, ridiculous. Seriously, if anything we need concentrate on the mental slavery that the majority of us are in today. We can’t be victims forever.

29. TomTom says:

I just think the Adidas are UGLY lol. I didn’t look at it as offensive though I can see why others would. I think the main thing is that people don’t want shackle clothing to become the norm, because truly there is a negative history that comes with shackles. But no need to get too hype about it…..I doubt Uknow meant to be offensive.

30. Tiffany says:

@jennifer – yes

31. krystel says:

It’s a sad day. (SHACKLES) SMH

32. LOLO says:

People that really think this is “just fashion” and this doesnt make them think of slavery or jail is full of it, im sorry. Its not “reaching” or being sensitive, its reality. Even if YOUR not offended because you simply don’t care, good for you. BUT these should be offensive to anybody in my opinion. Just another company trying to use a negative reference as a “positive” fashion statement. If your okay with seeing people walk around with shackles on their ankles in the name of fashion, then your a sad.

33. Sofia Maria says:

why didn’t this article include the designers explanation? it wasn’t a reference to slavery, the message is “shoes so hot you need to chain them to you”. it doesn’t make it any better, but single-faceted report is spurring a bunch of ignorant responses

34. LaTasha says:

Heavy sigh.** Hear we go again. I think the shoes are disgusting and whoever thought shackles were ok to wear should be fired. The sad thing is these companies know what they are doing. This behavior has been going on for a while now. From the attack on black women to Italian Vouge mocking us with what they called black fashion in Haute Mess, A dutch magazine calling Rhianna the n-word, to white rappers using the N-word. These attacks come against us because people are jealous of us. Point. Blank. Period. Secretly we African Americans are doing something right. We have an influence on the world other people wish they had. As long as that is a reality, we will continue to be attacked.

P.S. Did I mention the shoes were ugly?

35. Dom says:

@ SofiaMaria

To me, the explaination doesn’t mean bunk. I don’t care what the “official” reason for the shoe design is. The shoes are BS with and without the explaination.

36. Bella says:

yeah they sneakers are ugly–

but black people are always so QUICK to be jumping the gun when they feel something is targeted at our race, but call each other “Nigga” every day. Have a seat. I dont think they were targeting A RACIAL backlash when creating this though. But yall can chill. if you don’t like the shoe — DON’T BUY IT. simple.

37. i think it is good and new style of fashion. Just another company trying to use a negative reference as a “positive” I’m not offended by a pair of sneakers.