June 11th, 2012
Fashion News, Solange Knowles
By Jihan

20120611-124332.jpg

Solange Knowles has cut her hair three times in the past, but it seems her most recent big chop three years ago has garnered the most public reaction. The DJ took to twitter to vent her frustrations on the natural hair community policing her tresses, after reading this post in which the writer quotes internet commenters who say Solo’s type 4c hair “doesn’t look like” theirs, and that Ms. Knowles is in need of a twist out. She wrote, “I never painted myself as a team natural vice president. I don’t know the lingo and don’t sleep with a satin cap… However, I did [notice] when I picked out my hair, I kept seeing feedback about needing a “twist out”. Connnnfesssioonnn: I HATE twist outs. Correction, I hate the way they look on me SO I end up always picking them/ steaming them out. Look, all I’m saying is. My hair is not very important to me….so [i] don’t encourage it to be important to you.” Right on, Solo! People need to stay out of her tresses and worry about theirs! Her natural hair is bringing in them Carol’s Daughter coins, so clearly, her curl pattern and lack of a twist out is just fine! (Glamazons via @SolangeKnowles)

The Observer seems to think Anna Wintour may be posed to become one of the US’s next ambassadors to London, due to the Vogue editrix’s elevated political involvement. (The Observer)

• According to WWD, Maison Martin Margiela is the latest label to collaborate with H&M on a holiday collection. Neither Margiela or H&M have confirmed this partnership, but if WWD says it’s so, I’m inclined to believe it. Margiela would be joining the ranks of Lanvin, Jimmy Choo, Stella McCartney, Marni, and of course, Versace in collaborating with the Sweedish retailer. (Grazia)

• Stiff upper-lipped Britons around the UK are clutching their collective pearls over the latest mailers advertising Harvey Nichols‘s summer sale. The ads feature models who appear to have wet themselves with the caption “The Harvey Nichols Sale. Try to Contain Your Excitement.” The retailer says the ads were inspired by a quote from Pretty Woman: “During the production of the campaign, we researched the use of this expression in popular culture and social media and were satisfied that is is both commonplace and invariably used in a playful, inoffensive manner, which was in-keeping with the tongue-in-cheek spirit in which we intended our campaign to be taken.” In other words, stop being so darn sensitive, it’s just a little pee pee! (Telegraph)

• Remember Bathing Ape? The brand is teaming up with rapper Kreayshawn on a limited edition collection of tees to celebrate the release of her new album, Something About Kreay. The shirts will be available in BAPE London stores and on their website June 23rd. (MTV Style)

~ Jihan

41 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Solange Knowles is Tired of You Dissecting Her Natural Hair, H&M to Collaborate With Maison Martin Margiela?, and Brits Up in Arms Over Newest Harvey Nichols Mailers”

1. Soul Touch says:

I agree with Solange!!!

2. LawyerChic says:

She’s tired of talking about her natural hair, yet she’s a spokes person for natural hair products? Oh I guess. You don’t hear J.Hud saying she’s tired of talking about that Weight Watchers lol.

3. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

But J.Hud did say she was tired of talking about her weight though. Does a model wanna talk about clothes all day and night, do engineers wanna talk about levers and pulleys all day long? Maybe for Solange, this Carol’s Daughter gig was just that, a gig. She may not want to talk about her hair outside of that. And people put way too much into hair typing. Most women I know have several different hair textures on one head, so to say she isn’t a “real 4C” is bogus. I’ve seen e-beefs erupt on natural hair forums over this hair typing stuff.

4. I agree with Solo, but if it wasn’t her hair, people would find other things to criticize so what’s a girl to do? H&M and Margiela sounds like something I might have to camp out on Michigan Ave. for. Bathing Ape Tees? That shit Kreay.

5. Reicie says:

I feel you @LawyerChic! How in the H-E double hockey sticks are you gonna get heated and you’re selling a natural hair care product that is geared towards hair texture? I understand the bold comment saying her hair needs a twist out..that was bold and very stereotypical black woman-ish as if having natural hair in whatever texture isn’t the ‘thing’. I have combo hair but I do a knot out to change the texture just fora ‘swith’ in hair-do’s. Folks need to recognize when a line has been crossed even in famous-ville!

6. Savage says:

What Solo has to realize is that there are some die hard natural women out there. Like they take natural hair so damn serious its daunting. She may see is it as just hair, but for many going natural is a lifestyle. It changes thier whole being. So while its not a big deal to her some of her fan base may take it as a jab when she says she doesn’t care about her hair like that.

7. cici says:

I absolutely understand Solo’s saying she is tired of talking about her hair. I am too! She is a spokesperson for the products not for HER hair. We need to stop letting it define us, you don’t have to make an announcement that you are “going natural”, that you got a “twist out” or, etc.

8. jillibooboo says:

Natural hair wearers are getting out of hand. they work around spouting unsolicited advice to relaxed heads about the need to stray from the “cream crack”. just because you were un-successful maintaining a healthy head of relaxed hair does not mean we all are.

i swear, a little education is a dangerous thing in the hands of some people.

smarter people can entertain a thought without forcing down the throats of those around them.

9. jillibooboo says:

walk*

“creamy crack”*

10. Indigo says:

I agree with Solo… The natural hair community need to get over themselves.. I am tired of the “natural hair” police/hype too!! Find something else more important in your lives . There is more going on besides some darn two strand twist! I just wish black women knew how to feel important…This wouldn’t even be an issue.

11. jillibooboo says:

@ indigo
    “i wish black women knew how to feel important….”

AMEN.

12. Mimi says:

@LawyerChic I agree. She may not have signed up to talk about her hair, but what did she think was going to happen when she attached her name to a brand associated with natural hair. For her to not care so much about her hair, it makes me wonder did she just sign on to Carol’s Daughter for the check. It makes me question her integrity.

13. forever and a jay says:

@mimi

can she not use their products without being obsessed with hair. Solange lives a complete life that includes career, child, dating, DJing…. hair isn’t the only thing she focuses on (unlike other black women who sit on the couch all day, are 200lbs overweight, and think hair is their saving grace)

lose the holier than thou “intergrity questioning” attitude.

as if you COULD question it.

14. Sheena says:

@savage it’s not Solo’s job to care that people are die hard about their natural hair. If they take it as a jab that Solo doesn’t care too much about HER hair they need to get a life and some self esteem.

15. Crystal says:

The natural hair community can be very vocal on their opinions about what other people do to THEIR hair so I feel her on that but umm, if you want people to buy magazines and support your endorsements, you have to learn how to take the good with the bad. You can’t pop off on twitter every time someone irritates you…

16. Mimi says:

@Forever and a Jay.
    Why wouldn’t I be able to question her integrity as a spokes person for a product? Isn’t that what an informed consumer would do? Or possibly I should just buy the product because her face is on the poster and I like her music? Nobody said she has to be obsessed with hair, but her blatant nonchalant attitude makes me question if I’d want to purchase Carol’s Daughter’s product based on their spoke person’s comments. Your comments are completely left field. I swear its a crime to have an unpopular opinion these days.

17. Indigo says:

@ Mimi… I’ll save you some more time..CAROL’S DAUGHTER’s IS NOT ALL THAT! See,no need to for Solo’s input. lol It’s truly over rated and does nothing for natural “coarse” hair… or skin.. But if you have mixed hair (y’all know what I mean) then it’s all good.

18. Savage says:

@Indigo!! CD is not all that in my opinion, and there was no plethora of high end hair care products for natural hair on “transitioning kit” when I made the cut back in ’04. And @sheena you have to realize that most of the women who go gaga over Solo’s style are the natrual fanatics. When homegirl was weaved out noone paid her anymind..

19. forever and a jay says:

@mimi
    so dont buy it. who cares? i’m tired of ppl policing others hair care routine.

im relaxed with waist-length hair and I dont care much for my hair either (in that it isnt terrible important to me), i do, however, still use high quality hair care products.

the two are mutually exclusive.

you don’t have an “unpopluar opinion”, in fact, your opinion is rather popluar; but the masses aren’t known to ‘think’ on the regular….

20. Hello says:

I also agree with Solange alot of natural hair ladies are know it alls, they think they know whats best for your hair and expect you to do exactly what they say, I don’t understand how they can tell her what to do with her hair its HER hair if she likes it let her be she knows what works and what doesn’t work for her and her hair geesh!

21. jillibooboo says:

@forever and a Jay

omg so true….

22. Mimi says:

Never once did I say anything pro or anti natural/relaxed hair. I’ve been natural my entire life, so the movement hasn’t phased me one bit. Nor did I comment on her hair care routine. I commented on Solange’s statements a spokes person for a product. I never understand why those commenting on this blog take comments as an attack on their lifestyle. Folks go hard, but lack basic comprehension skills to keep their arguments on basis.

23. bella says:

I’m currently transitioning but i do agree with solange. there are some real natural hair snobs out there that love telling other black women what they should do to their hair. It’s not that serious. Hair should not be the end all be all for you. There are so many other things to worry about.

24. Sprinkle says:

Can’t the natural haired community and the relaxed/weave haired ladies all just get along..it’s just hair..geesh

25. Crystal says:

I agree @Mimi. People can’t take different opinions on this blog. Also, if she endorses hair products, she should’ve kept those comments to herself. I wouldn’t buy a car from a car salesman that told me they don’t really care about cars.

26. Kay says:

@Sprinkle Right?!?!
    I love all my sisters, kinky or straight. Besides, it’s just hair.

27. Well for one, i think her natural hair has gotten her a lot of buzz amoung our community, but at the same time, black hair shouldn’t be the big topic of discussion, she pretty much said why she was tired of getting perms and things, and that was 3 years ago. I get it, I know bloggers who make their living off talking about natural hair, and to some it’s something deeper, to some of us it’s just our hair (me) and to some they are just excited to know what to finally do with natural hair, and are having a blast learning these new styles. But I agree, I would get tired of it, you don’t see people dissecting other folks hair as much. Again i get that it’s new to see someone rocking the curls as often as she does, but it gets tiresome.

28. Kay and Sprinkle exactly, which is the issue I have with some folks who swear out this is the only way to live, as if hair is the deciding factor of being healthy and staying away from chemicals. When those same bloggers stop wearing make-up that is harsh, stop eating fast food, and take up a vegan lifestyle then holler at me about whats best. I get that perms can do damage, but guess what everybody isn’t sipping the natural hair kool-aid, and that shouldn’t make anybody think differently of someone. I think some people take it way to seriously. And I’m a natural, rocking a fro as I type this, but I honestly don’t give a hoot.

29. nike says:

@indigo, you couldn’t have said it betta!

30. Brittany says:

Some of the comments on this article are really nasty to me.

31. whatevs says:

I saw Solange’s tweet the day she tweeted it…and I have to admit it irked me…you make your coins and got this level of fame from your hair and talking about it…to say you’re not going to talk about hair anymore is disingenous because that’s what you’re paid to do by Carol’s daughter…

but I do see it from her side as well…I get tired of naturals telling me what to do with my hair…just because I chose to go natural many, many moons ago…does not mean I’ve pledged my soul to some natural society and that I have to walk in uniform pattern with them…

32. whatevs says:

@ amen on that Carol’s Daughter’s mess…thank God there are more companies now that provide better quality products…

33. kia says:

let’s be real the reason she was on the oprah show was bc she was “pro natural hair” and everyone loved her for it which made her everyone’s go to natural diva with style and now she’s goes on what’s making her money?! that’s messed up

A lot of naturals tell me to do stuff to my hair but it doesn’t mean I’m going to get pissed about it

34. Katie says:

I’m sorry Solange but people have the right to comment on your hair seeing how you are a face of haircare line. And this isn’t a good look as far I’m concerned. I’m not saying that she should have a twist out but she should put some effort into it. I understand she likes the wild look (I do too) but sometimes her hair is a off from time to time.

No one is ignorant for having an opinion about Solange’s hair, no one told her to wear it like that, no one told her to post pictures, or become the face of Carol’s daughter.

As a celebrity Solange, understand that you will be judged and ridiculed. Likewise, If you are a spokesman for a company. That comes with the territory. If Solange can take the compliments and the positives then Solange can take the criticisms and negatives as well.

Does she have the right to wear her hair a certain way? YES, but I also have the right to comment on it. If you don’t want comments on the pictures you post, then don’t post them. While I don’t care too much for her fashion choices, I usually like her hair, but sometimes her hair does look a bit off to me :/

35. Katie says:

Oh and btw, who wears Bape anymore? And why would I want to purchase a tee shirt of a white female rapper novelty whose who likes to culturally appropriate black American female culture? I couldn’t wear half the crap she’s wearing without being labeled a hoodrat, but let a white woman wear the same thing and it’s cool and edgy? >_> Not to mention she say the n-word and hangs out with racists you say the n-word as well.

No thanks.

36. Onlooker says:

Solange always sounds like such an entitled brat! She thinks she’s the shit when she’s really famous for being Beyonce’s sister. Sorry, it’s been on my mind for some time, but she carries herself in a really annoying way!

The above isn’t really about this rant, but about her other numerous ones.

I do applaud her for not succumbing to the NEED To have a defined “curl” pattern. I’m black, my hair isn’t curly, it’s more…kinky with a few undefined squiggles. Some people really subscribe to this notion that if it looks like an Afro, get some product and/or manipulation into that bad boy, to make it look less like an Afro. The black body and its numerous and complicated complexes :(

37. Tamara says:

There are a lot of natural-hair nazis out there. A woman asked what products do I use for my hair, and I listed a few. She said I shouldn’t use this brand or that brand because they use certain ingredients. If it works for me, let me be. And the same goes for Solo. Let her be.

38. kat says:

The minute she walks out in some busted shoes and someone takes notice, she’ll say that she doesn’t care about fashion.

And I don’t get the whole “I don’t care about hair” nonsense. People say that, yet they spend hundreds of dollars going to shop and buying high end products. That’s a lot of money and effort going into something you don’t care about.

She’s still my style idol, but she really ought to learn to let that sort of stuff go-who cares what some random stranger on the internet has to say about your hair?

39. Bukky says:

I am a natural chic but some of these natural sistahs take it way too serious, it is annoying!How can you make your whole life about your damn hair?I agree with Solange leave her hair the hell alone!

40. babyB says:

Sheesh, all this fussing about hair! Everyone needs to chill and live and let live!

41. moi says:

spot on Solo! even though I do not understand what she means by :’my hair is not very important to me…’ I don’t get it. Isn’t your hair supposed to be important to you as a spokesperson for Carol’s daughter? Bad line there but overall, rightly said.