June 10th, 2012
Snapshot, Solange Knowles
Snapshot: Solange Knowles for Glamour France July 2012

Solange Knowles for Glamour France July 2012.
A quick translation of the interview (just for fun):
Glamour: What’s the secret to your style?
Solange: [My style is] very eclectic as I like to take risks, but I always cling to glamourous touches and classic details. I’m not necessarily inspired by magazines or fashion. I surf a lot on blogs and find it cool to see real style from real people. My travels also influence me. I always take lots of pictures, and then inject all those inspirations into my wardrobe, my home decor, or my makeup. And we can’t forget the icons: Diana Ross, Erykah Badu, Bjork, and Lauryn Hill.

Glamour: How can one successfully create a good mixed and matched [wardrobe]?
Solange: If you have different prints, both pieces have to have the same fabric. Certain colors like violet and pink also work well with animal prints. And then, you have to create a certain harmony; I avoid mixing African patterns with Aztec prints, for example.

Glamour: Is style a family affair for the Knowles?
Solange: We love fashion, but we all have different styles. It must be said that we grew up with a grandmother who was a designer and my mother, who has her own collection.

Glamour: Do you ever go shopping with Beyonce?
Solange: I do 90% of my shopping online and now my whole family does the same! From time to time, though, my sister and I will pop by Opening Ceremony in New York and spend a few hours there.

Glamour: When you come to Paris, do you shop as well?
Solange: I prefer to pass the afternoon at Place des Vosges with a picnic and a book. I also like to get lost in Paris; last summer I rented an apartment in the 10th arrondissement, and I explored all the cool cafés and bookstores in the area. I feel very safe in Paris. The metro is super easy to use and my son speaks French, so we always find our way around!

Glamour: What beauty item do you use to boost your look?
Solange: I always wear mascara, and above all, I put on a flashy, matte lipstick. My favorite color is “Firecracker Orange Fire” by Rimmel.

Glamour: Any new projects on the horizon?
Solange: I just finished my new album. It took me two years to write and compose it. It’s a new chapter in my life. I’m super excited!
Interview by Auce Augustin
Translation by MOI
Source: The YBF

Posted In
49 comments

49 Responses to “Snapshot: Solange Knowles for Glamour France July 2012”

1. Auty says:

One word: YES!!!

2. live laugh love says:

She is rocking the natural look! Love it on her. ..

3. Danielle says:

Ah-maze-ing

4. SLIMB says:

Yesssss solange , love this woman.

5. Madame M says:

Just one thing: This interview was for glamour france and not Elle France ;)

6. Mary J. says:

Divaaa!! i love every look except for the shoes in the second pic—> eww :/

7. Claire says:

@Madame M Merci! I changed it. Think my eyes were crossed when I first saw it.

8. Nattral says:

Come on in, Solo! Pics are hot and I can’t wait for the new album.

9. Charise says:

Solange….a girl after my own heart. She is such bohemian hauteness! Loving it!

10. loverly says:

Thank you so much for the translation! You are awesome, Claire!

11. Yes, yes and yes, Solange! Thanks for the translation, Claire.

12. Izhause says:

Great style she’s so gorgeous!

13. lola says:

Solange looks stunning as always but I just can’t with photoshop. I just can’t.

14. Adrian says:

Love Solange! Great interview.

15. Marsha says:

Wow!

16. TWhen did Solange become so COOL?!?!…..This is amazing

17. Erin says:

Solange is stunning!

18. Nikkibellaray says:

Wow! Solange just destroyed the competition…Gorgeous!!!

19. Emily says:

Nice pics but this is nepotism at its finest. She is everywhere for no valid reason.

20. Taj says:

Solange is gorgeous and I absolutely love this spread.

21. MissD says:

I love Solange I’ve been a fan of her style for alongggg time it’s weird I never really was a fan of her sister but Solange is a different story love it!

22. Fabulous! L-o-v-e loves it! This spread is definitely the answer to all of the questions!

23. Ms.Fierce says:

Thank you so much for translating! Solange looks beautiful per usual :)

24. Lauren says:

Yes, honey! She betta do it!

25. Ms.Fierce says:

Thank you so much for translating! Solange looks beautiful per usual :) For a minute there I was worried about her simply following behind her sister, style-wise but she’s grown into her own lane so well. Her style is always true to her!

26. BigA says:

She is her own person…that makes her special…very fashion forward…hate the fact that everyone compares her to her sister…must be a horrible feeling to have everyone tell u your sister is better when they are both special in different ways

27. UrbanMILF says:

Hot! And I love that her son knows French!

28. NYC Chick says:

She looks great!!

29. Haviland Clarke says:

Amaze balls!

30. Can says:

She is giving me Foxy Cleo in that first picture. I love her style and how she wears clothes. A trend setter for sure. Go ‘head Solo!

31. Latora says:

LOVE SOLO!!!!!!!

32. Soul Touch says:

She loves fierce!!! I love all the pieces, those green heels (second to last pic) are just beautiful.

33. Indigo says:

The first pic,she looks like Maxwell..

34. mercedes says:

I love her ! This is nice .

35. D says:

I’m not sure when her “transformation” took place, but her evolution into her own person has obviously had serious ramifications on her personal style. It’s a pleasure to watch the style of someone so fearless and who loves fashion. This is why I get so irritated with the Nicki Minaj/Rita Ora pics on this blog (not to mention those awful reality stars)…they are not fashionistas! You can tell Solange understands clothes, designers and what it means to have personal style which helps her to tell HER own story.

36. lolodoll11 says:

These are some really nice pics. Overall thoughts on Solange. Not long ago she was wearing the hair weaves down to her butt and dressing just like her sis. This new eclectic thing she has going on seems contrived and forced as a way to differentiate herself from her sister. Loving the looks, just doesn’t seem genuine.

37. Dorcas says:

Love her, love her style, looking forward to her new music.
    It frustrates me when people say that her style transformation seems disingenuous. When I went natural, my style changed completely and I’m sure most people who transition from relaxed to natural will say the same. Style evolves, people’s tastes change, fashion/trends change, the world still spins. No conspiracy theories needed.

38. lolodoll11 says:

The tranformation from relaxed to natural hair is not that serious…coming from someone who’s been natural for the past 6+ yrs. My style pre au naturale is the same as post. Sounds like folk trying to be something they’re not if all of a sudden your style changes due to the BC.

39. nichy says:

i agree with dorcas, it does change your style, especially if you dont press your hair often, you absolutely have to rework your look a little bit. And solange was young when she came out, but even then she was doing the waist length braids and tie waist skirts lol. She is grown now, not the same as before, coming into herself at 25.

40. Reicie says:

I can’t even find a word that describes how much I’m girl crushing on Solo’s style now. Absolutely bohemianista fab-u-lous

41. Enigma says:

We all know that in the entertainment industry people loves formulas that work! New young artist conforms to what their managers say might work best for them and it’s not until they become big stars do they get the opportunities to be more themselves and less cookie cutter. When Pink first came on the scene she was more RnB than pop, now we can all agree she’s more pop music. So maybe this is the real Solange and not the cookie cutter Solanage instead of the other way around.

42. tt says:

her stock just rose 100%. i am a bey fan, but i really like solange more. where bey seems manufactured solange feels so authentic. i LOVE her style & i don’t care for bey’s style too much. to be 5 years younger, solange seems to be more mature & better spoken than her older sister.

43. Crystal says:

I do love the spread, although the looks chosen seem to be a little more eclectic than her normal everyday style as of late. I do like her personal style as well though. And I know tons of people who went natural and guess what…they where the same clothes, drive the same car, laugh at the same jokes and eat the same food as they always did. Some people look at being natural as some magical religious epiphany and guess what…it’s not that deep.

44. Joslyn says:

Love! I’ll wear every outfit!

45. whatevs says:

This is why I can’t stay mad at her…I’m so glad that I don’t still dress the same exact way I did in high school/college…I’m glad I evolved…there are still some of the same basic but my outlook on the way I express myself has changed…

Solange has always been a quirky dresser even when she wore the waist-length weaves…its just that her style has evolved…as she’s traveled around the globe and built relationships with designers…

46. wallflower says:

Um…am I the only one that’s excited about the album? The last one was fiyah!

47. Ceccee says: