June 7th, 2012
Accessories, Celebrity Style, Shopping
5 Cool Accessories You Should Try: Bindis, Flower Crowns, Ear Cuffs, and more!
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Hello, my name is Jihan and I am an accessories queen. I’m always on the hunt for new and interesting flourishes to add to my outfits, and I love to experiment.

Statement earrings and necklaces are always fun, but when I want to really make a splash, I try to get a little funky with my embellishments. Today, I’m sharing some of my favorites. If you’re looking for ways to add interest to your accessories game, try some of these funky pieces:

1. Sticker Bindis

A bindi is a Southeast Asian embellishment worn in the center of the forehead. Gwen Stefani sported them while she was going through her Southeast Asian style phase in the ’90s, and Azealia Banks was spotted at Coachella rocking one. Bindis are great because they are so easy to wear: they’re a relatively subtle flourish, but they still manage to make a statement. Plus, with a little eyelash glue, you can use them again and again once the original adhesive wears off.

If you want to try one, Etsy sellers like Bindiart and Shaliniscrafts (I’ve purchased from both) have a pretty good selection of gorgeous bindi sets to choose from, with prices ranging from $4 to $16. Sets usually contain 6-12 bindis, depending on style and size. Topshop also sells bindi sets for $12 bucks. Get the look here:

2. Flower Crowns

Let me just start by saying I am no fan of Lana Del Rey. But my inner hippie couldn’t help but be jealous of the flower crown she wore on the cover of her single for “Video Games.” A big, blooming flower crown is such a fun accessory for summer, especially at casual cookouts or rooftop fêtes when you want to give your look a whimsical twist.

Indie brand Cult Gaia offers a (somewhat pricey) selection of flower crowns, starting at $75.

If that sounds too rich for your blood, you can get more affordable options here:

3. Ear Cuff and Combs

Ear cuffs have grown in popularity over the last few years, but this version brings a new twist to the trend. The ear cuff end is attached to a hair comb by a (sometimes embellished) chain. All you do is slip the cuff part over your ear, and tuck the comb end into your hair. ASOS has a few options, if you’re looking to give this one a spin:

4. Hanging Tikkas

A “hanging” (my word) tikka is a type of bindi. Tikkas were a prominent accessory in Chanel’s Pre-Fall 2012 show, and Alicia Keys rocked one during Paris Fashion Week. You can find ones that attach to your hair with a hook as well as stick-on options. Wholesale Indian Jewelry site Bombay Jewelry has a huge, super affordable selection of tikkas, if you’re into the look.

5. Nose Chains

This one is not for the faint of heart– or for those who lack the necessary piercings. I have a nose stud, and while I enjoy the subtle simplicity of my piercing, a nose chain is a cool way to edge out my decidedly feminine personal style. I wore a nose chain for my 22nd birthday (oh, to be that age again), and I got a few double takes, but lots of compliments nonetheless. If you want one, Etsy has a wide selection of nose chains at great prices.

Of course, Kelis takes it to another level!

Indie jewelry designer Nyne Lyves also has a small offering of really cute nose chains.

And there you have it! I told ya, some of these pieces are risky! But I have worn the majority of these items, and they’re fun and sure to turn heads!

Think you’ll try any of these?

~Jihan

33 Responses to “5 Cool Accessories You Should Try: Bindis, Flower Crowns, Ear Cuffs, and more!”

1. Faith says:

I like these options! Maybe I’ll take a walk on the wild side and try one haha

2. Indigo says:

After seeing this Azealia Banks… I’m never wearing a bindi again!

The nose chin is so Jane Childs… Fashions really repeat it’s self.

3. DivaFabulosa says:

Um yeah, the only one I may consider is the ear cuff and comb accessory.

4. LC says:

I love the flower crowns. So pretty and prissy :)

5. Shanita says:

Bindis are so ’99!!! Love how everything boomerangs

6. Yes lets look as outrageous as possible! NOT!

7. Jihan says:

fashionistachic: it’s not about looking “as outrageous as possible,” it’s about trying something different and having fun with accessories that are a little non-traditional. Obviously, this stuff might not be for more conservative gals, but from my time working in fashion (and just being attracted to the out of the ordinary), fashion isn’t always about following the rules, it’s about knowing what you love, having fun with it, looking great and being confident!

I’ve always been attracted to funky stuff, even back in high school. When all the preppy girls rocked single strand pearls, I wore layers and layers a la Coco Chanel. And that was just my thing!

Fashion people range from folks who love their classic J. Crew, to those who love to experiment. I’m just trying to show some love to the latter! :)

8. EboniWright says:

I love the nose chain. It’s so different and daring.

9. dyshaun says:

Thank you Jihan. I’ll call her #basic since youre on the job and all.

Yay! Great suggestions, can’t wait to try them!

11. A few of these are cute to try, but nose chains and such aren’t my speed.

12. Jae says:

this comes to mind http://tmblr.co/ZhC6swMrED5d from ‘Bitchcraft/Wiggatry’ caption as well.

13. whatevs says:

DTM!!!

14. Ms.Missy says:

yeaaa, um! I guess…this look is HOT if ur in the entertainment business, doing videos, print modeling, etc..artsy-fartsy kinda thing.

However,just to f*ck w/tha white folks @ my job, I would wear the handing tikkas..Bindis, flower crown. especially coming off a weekend like on a Monday. And say it has something to do with my religion…lol. and watch they ass bag back away from my desk…lol

15. Nikki says:

They’re nice…but I feel some type of way about reducing cultural symbols to accessories. I understand that I’m not part of the Indian culture but it just makes me uneasy

16. SoHappy says:

No thanks! The ear/hair accessory is okay though.

17. That spiked crown thingy on Kelis looks so “satanic” to me……lol…the flower crowns are really cute tho:-)

18. Dee says:

Now I want an ear cuff. Fb is such an enabler.

19. Kristina says:

I agree with nikki while yes its nice to look at but i feel like sensationalizing accessories like the ones in this article depreciate the cultures associated as a “trend” while it holds great cultural and religious symbolism to people. Im not saying to be in a box but all things have meaning atleast look it up before wearing it #thatisall

20. My Response says:

they’re all tacky

21. babyB says:

Digging the earr cuffs a lot! Been wanting to get some but wasn’t sure where so I’ll definitely hit up Asos.

22. Omgeezy!!! says:

Go jihan I have everything but the nose ring”!They’re dope!!

23. binks says:

Personally I would wear the flower crown when I am feeling girly and low key…everything else…not so much.

24. Marthe says:

I love this post, it’s something different from what we normally see on here (not that i dislike the other posts, i’m a huge FBD addict!). For me as a young girl, i would like to try the ear-cuff thingy, but i’ve got thick dreadlocks, so i don’t know if it would work out as fine as i want. lol
    And i think i could definatly rock a nose chain to a party! When i read your comment (Jihan) on here I knew you and me are/were very alike. I’m in highschool now and i feel like i came from outer space when i look at the other girls somewhat boring style, but i’m happy this way! Fashion and style means uniqueness!

25. Ms_She says:

Good Morning,

I understand alot of people wouldnt wear this, but such is fashion. Its about rocking what you like, how you like, and making it look good.

Personally the flower crowns and bindis i wouldnt wear. If i had a nose ring, Id be all over those nose chains, and I work corporate at a conservative bank. I am actually in love with that spiked ear cuff, and i appreciate Jihan for the idea cause i been looking for ways to spice up my buns now that summer is here and dont wear my natural hair straight…

This fashion blog would not be as popular or holistic if it only focused on what was hot or mainstream. It also wouldnt be fair. Fashion is fun and different and for the open minded. So although not all the idea are for me, I love the post for giving me the opportunity to explore different options.

Thanks Jihan!

26. Naija Vix. says:

LMAO @theCreativeChic !

27. Jihan says:

@Nikki @Christina

So how do you feel about people wearing African Prints? Or the rise of African inspired print in fashion? How do you feel about black Americans and West Indians wearing African print/Dashikis/Kente cloth when they no longer have any connection to the culture? What about Mandarin collars? Do you eat with chopsticks? Do you wear Paisley? Should Westerners bellydance?

Though you suggested that I did not, I indeed DID read up on bindis before this, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, but several sites said they have largely lost their religious significance. (Here’s just one of the sites: http://hinduism.about.com/od/bindis/a/bindi.htm) While there are certain ones that mean something, (and you know, there is a time and place for everything,) several places advertise them as an accessory. The bindi used to be just a dot and then it evolved into something that comes in different sizes, shapes, and patterns. I think it would be more problematic if I was saying “wear the red dot,” which is the original, as opposed to the modern, embellished ones that are out today which are worn for decoration. Just like earrings, necklaces, etc.

Either way, it’s your decision. I feel comfortable wearing mine, and I like how it looks! Look, I’m black, I’m West Indian, I’ve got lots of experience with people “depreciating” my culture. I also have family members of East Indian descent. The last thing I want is to be guilty of cultural appropriation.

28. SPA says:

Ok … a lot of you may be too young to remember this, but this makes me think of a dancer that used to be on soul train back in the 90s that always wore long box braids and a nose chain. LOL. As a previous poster stated, fashion definitely repeats itself. I’m a little in love with the ear cuff …

29. Jackie says:

I liked the post. Very cool suggestions for those who like to experiment and such. My only questions is why did you have to say that you didn’t like Lana Del Rey? That wasn’t exactly necessary to the post. You used her picture to suggest a headpiece, it could have been left at that. :/

30. I happy to see jihan promoting etsy

31. Truth Teller says:

ummmm NO NO NO AND UMMM HELL NO

32. sedz2 says:

Just picked up an awesome spiked one from http://www.behoneybee.com/collections/earrings/products/spike-ear-cuff

Today!! so excited to wear it this weekend

33. Jess says:

Look up cultural appropriation. Stop making other peoples’ culture your trend.