May 30th, 2012
Fashion News, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• A few pieces from Kim Kardashian‘s Cannes luggage got jacked by British Airways employees. The reality star says that in addition to a few expensive purses, the thieves took off with a pair of sunnies her father Robert Kardashian gave her before he died. While we can all agree that Ms. Kardashian is overexposed, it’s a little low to steal from someone because they’ve got money. I hope whoever took her shades feels guilty enough to return them! (TMZ)

• Photographer Tyler Shields pissed off a lot of people after posting images of his girlfriend, Francesca Eastwood (yes, that Eastwood) burning and taking a chainsaw to an $100,000 Birkin bag. ArtInfo caught up with the photographer, who stands by his work: “I think if people are [upset] because I spent money on a photo shoot, then they should be upset about every single photo shoot that takes place ever… Paris Hilton spent $200,000 on her album cover. The catering budget for the movie “John Carter” was $5 million. It takes money to make art. People spend money to make their work. If I was operating a McDonald’s, would people be upset because I bought inventory?” Whether we think his little project was “art” is another story. Personally, I’d hate to see such an expensive, crocodile skin bag destroyed. I would have gladly taken it off their hands! (The Cut)

• If you’re looking for a pair of seriously exclusive kicks, look no further than Rayfish Footwear, a new shoe company peddling genetically-engineered stingray skin shoes in custom patterns. That’s right. Scientists are taking customization down to the molecular level. The brand’s website provides a template from which you can choose from 29 possible patterns, and design a unique print which scientists will then grow on the stingray. Rayfish Footwear is soft launching the brand with a series of design contests where entrants can log on to the website, create a design in their template, and submit them to win a free pair of shoes. The brand is expected to officially launch later this year, at which time the shoes will start at $1,800. Would you ever splurge on a pair of genetically engineered shagreen (stingray skin) kicks? (Fashionista)

• As part of their new health initiative, German Vogue published a spread featuring 100% un-photoshopped models. (Jezebel)

Meadham Kirchhoff Fall 2012

• UK readers, London designer Meadham Kirchhoff is taking over Topshop‘s Oxford Street flagship this Friday in honor of Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee. The designer is throwing a carnival fête complete with face painting, glittery pink popcorn, and Jubilee themed Meadham Kirchhoff tees. The festivities start at 5pm. (Vogue UK)

• At long last, here is Jay-Z and Kanye West‘s new music video for ‘No Church in the Wild.’ Hot! or Hmm…? (Hello Beautiful)
~Jihan

42 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Kim Kardashian’s Luggage Ransacked by Airport Staff, Photographer Tyler Shields Unapologetically Destroys Birkin Bag for Art, and Jay-Z and Kanye West’s Video for ‘Church in the Wild’”

1. Nikki B. says:

Burning that Birkin was a SIN!!! I agree, I would’ve taken the bag off their hands & walked off like a Model. For art, of course.

2. liz says:

Sometimes some of us regular folks who do not have a certain amount of money think we can dictate how people who have spend theirs. Yes, I (and probably you too) totally wish she had given me that 100 grand Birkin bag instead of burning it; and we may think it is a crazy waste of money. But truth is it is not our business!! People work very hard for their money and if they decide that flushing it in a toilet makes them happy, so be it. They don’t owe any one anything!

3. Shanita says:

We burn things far more precious than a silly bag on the daily. Do I care that a Birkin was charred…not really. Do I get the message…without a doubt. Freedom of speech and the right to an opinion has become so distorted over the past few years that it’s hard to prove a point without a million reasons popping up as to why you shouldn’t. Everyone has somethin to say, so whatever, you on the mic, what’s ya beef?!

4. Emily says:

Kim K does all that for attention AGAIN. If it was that valuable she would have used a TSA approved locker or put tthem in a carry-on. Plus why using twitter for this? Why not just dealing with BA on the low? The british press gave her little attention while she was there, that’s why she is actng attention w horish again.
    About the Birkin: with a father as respectable and low-key as Clint, a true legend, I would hope she would not act that kardashianesque. But hey, her money, not ours….

5. Indigo says:

Burning that bag speaks volumes… Too bad so many are caught up to hear it.

6. My Response says:

Kim K always looks good. #thatisall

7. 1. are we sure Kim Ks stuff was really stolen or is it a publicity stunt and if so I am sure the thieves will return the merchandise in 72 days or so…

2. Im a HUGE fan of Birkins but a bigger fan of art and artist expression. I could care less what he does with his moolah but I dont think this images are that great and that is what upsets me.

Have a great day!

8. Siyam says:

The Kanye x Jay-Z x Frank Ocean video was very thought-provoking and I loved it. The revolution is on its way, man.The Burning Birkin? I appreciate the fact that it’s art. Kim K and the Case of the Slippery Sunnies? So sad. Theft is wrong no matter who it’s from.

9. This would be symbolic if the bag were authentic. But it is not. Her pricing was off, that is not real croc, and her bag is fake. Might have cost her $800 or so to buy, IF that.

I wrote a piece about it on my blog. It is such a publicity stunt. But she’s on E! so what should we expect?

10. Caribbelle says:

I may not be a Kim K’s fan but some of the folks that do this at airports are annoying as hell. With all the airport security and constant video access, I ‘m pretty sure they already know who took what and when.

As for the burning of the birkin… he paid for it, he could do whatever he wants with it. You really see how the bag has become such a status symbol. A lot of folks are so invested in it, but at the end of the day its just a really expensive bag. Hell even Jane Birkin doesn’t care about it anymore so what does that tell you.

11. mahoganyb says:

I can’t wait until PETA and Rayfish Footwear meet.

12. Deb says:

@jen…lol..72 days indeed. But I’m not surprised Kim took to Twitter to air her grievances with BA. Alec Baldwin and Kevin Smith did the same when they had grievances with other airlines after being kicked off flights. Isn’t that what social media is all about? I’m not even going to touch on the issue with the Birkin. $100,000!!! Madness.

13. zimbabwechic says:

The orphan’s home at my church burned down, one child burned to death while the little ones heard his screams, another is fighting for his life in the hospital. Walking through the house looking at the remains of the only home they ever had, the burned books, the charred wood from the bunk beds, the ruined toys, upset me and honestly Kim Kardashian can buy new bags and burning a $100 000 bag is not art, it’s just an overrated, mildly talented photographer looking to stay relevant through an outrageous act. A tenth of what he spent could rebuild the orphanage UUUUGH!!

14. Brittany says:

I’m kinda tired of the use of “sunnies” for sunglasses.

15. MaacoBee says:

Jay-Z and Kanye destroyed a million dollar Maybach in the Otis video..where was the outrage then? Art is art,whether or not the artist is over or underrated. Graffiti is considered destruction of property…but it’s art..and possibly the only American-born visual art form.

16. Dee says:

Booooo to Birkin burning. Lol! I would have gladly taken it. I could careless about “the message”.

17. Jennesia says:

According to the Purseblog the estimated value of the Handbag is $38, 000 not $100,000 and they thought it was fake. So…..

18. MaacoBee <<<< Uh Hello! they sent that girl some pretty gross messages too hoping she would die, and said she could have fed starving kids, but had she brought the bad and wore it i'm sure nobody would be saying a thing! People are crazy and need to chillax!

19. Diva says:

what a waste of $$$ to burn such an expensive handbag… but then again what a waste of $$$ to purchase such an expensive handbag.

20. Nicole says:

Why not just fly on a private plane…..they have plenty of money! (rolling my eyes)

21. MissRich.com says:

Church In the wild video, was way too violent for me…

22. SoHappy says:

Something so valuable should have been carried on. Also, she needs to get rid of the louie luggage.

23. baby-b says:

do ppl actually think kim k is sporting glasses her father gave her before he died like what…7 years ago???????
    Has anyone ever seen her wear anything over a season old??? Get real Kim. Nice try pretending that they had sentimental value. Bitch is just mad her shit got stolen and now being the greedy fame whore, is making things up. get real.

24. jemjem says:

i dont want a 100k birkin bag, even its for free..
    its pretentious to work around an accessory that is clearly beyond my budget.a look at the rest of my wardrobe, of normal expense, and ppl would assume it was a fake. unless its within your budget to spend 100k on a bag, it makes no sense to even have it. there are a billion fashion accessories that i would take over that bag, any day at all . he got the bag honest and he can do with it what he pleases. no purse is worth 100k and birkin bag buyers in general deserve to be criticized if he does

25. i hope the TSA took her leather pants that she wore every day before Kanye…and still does. They must be funky by now

26. prettyOdd says:

Was Jay-Z or Kanye even in the video?!?!? I must have missed it….all I saw was disturbing//violent images. On top of that, Watch the Throne is almost a year old. Kim…..over it.

27. art is subjective he could have been trying to say a million things with those images

28. shanita i agree with you wholeheartedly

29. I went to high school with Franny (Francesca Eastwood) and she has always been an artistic out there kind of person, and this photo shoot isn’t any type of new activity for her or her boyfriend Tyler Shields. I’m actually really proud of some of the work I have seen her in, like a similar shoot to the one above where she destroyed a Christian Louboutin heel and an artistic rendition of the Occupy UC Davis pepper spray incident. If you look at any of Tyler Shields photos you will see that this type of photo with the Birkin bag is a common theme. Although it is sad to see a Birkin bag go to waste people should just enjoy the art provided.

30. BlkRose says:

I travel all the time and my most important items are always “CARRY ON”. I’ve been silly enough to not keep my jewels and whatever I care about on the plane with me. I don’t even travel with my expensive luggage. I only do that on road trips where I can keep an eye on my material.

I hurts to see that bag burn because even though I work within the fashion industry and I live and adore the art of clothing, but it does bother me that a bag made out of reptile skin can legally cost that much and people will still buy it.

I probably shouldn’t comment since I will buy a pair of $1,000 shoes or bag without even blinking twice.

31. Desi says:

Yes, whats up with everyone and their godmothers using the word sunnies now instead of sunglasses??

Chileeeeee this is one copy catting generation LOL!

32. Ronnie says:

Burn the bag! Awesome! Art has no price and it speaks volumes! More worried about a bag when there are true genocides happening as we speak!

33. melly miyagi says:

34. Melly miyagi says:

@ emily just bc u dnt like Kim k doesn’t mean she is doing this for attention an even so does it matter she got her stuff stolen so she can bring as much attention to it as she wants it’s her twitter page

35. i dont check in my “sentimental” items when flying. Just saying.

The burning of that bag is not art. Its a publicity stunt. Funny that they had the idea for this “art” around the same time their reality show premiered on E!.

Unphotoshopped pics of models?!? Wow. I’d def like to see more of that.

No interest in that video. Over the WTT phenomenon at this point.

36. Fashion Bags says:

What a waste. Why burn a perfectly good 100k bag. What a waste.

37. Style says:

What a waste. They could find nothing better to do with 100k?

38. Bribri says:

Did I miss something? I just check out Taylor shields site and all he said was that Birkin bags can cost up to $100, 000. He didn’t explicitly say that the one in the photo was 100, 000. And even if he did destroy a 100, 000 bag, it’s money/ bag that majority of ppl will never have, so who are they to dicate what someone else should do with there property.

39. LawyerChic says:

Its been reported all over the media that this specific bag was 100k. What’s a sin is that a damn bag cost that much.

40. Umm says:

Whether the bag is 800, 38g or 100g its overpriced and overrated. The things money is wasted on and then the world complains about money. Smh!

41. Cushy Lips says:

She may not have her bag, but she still has her smile!

42. Genuinely talking, this is actually the period associated with Michael kors purses exactly where a large number of individuals are purchasing all of them in order to satisfy their own contemporary modern desires and needs however you like. They’re really conventional, emblematic as well as flexible purses. Most of all, your personal Michael kors purses tend to be produced with a extremely distinctive, inexpensive as well as long lasting share. As a result of top quality production, your personal Michael kors purses might consequently appear really fascinating purses. Presently these people can be found in numerous expert purses stores on the internet through enabling you to very easily purchase your personal Michael kors purses on the internet. They’re really durable purses by which you can very easily reserve lots of add-ons for example attires, jewelry, makeup, beauty items, belts, notebook computers, shades, and many more. That’s the reason on the internet Michael kors purses business enables you to obtainable reduced Michael kors purses.