May 25th, 2012
Beyonce, Fashion News
By Jihan

• Fashion pioneer Eunice Johnson is the subject of an upcoming exhibition at the Chicago History Museum. Johnson, wife of Ebony magazine founder John Johnson, navigated couture ateliers in Paris, Rome, and Florence in the ’60s and ’70s as one of the few (possibly only) African-American clients. Despite her status, Johnson dealt with discrimination, having to convince some designers to sell her key pieces for her personal collection, as well as for Ebony’s Fashion Fair shows. Spending an average of $1 million per year on iconic pieces by Yves Saint Laurent, Christian Lacroix, Emilio Pucci, and more, Ms. Johnson accumulated approximately 7,000 items of clothing and accessories over her lifetime. A curated selection will go on display in Chicago March 2013. (WSJ)

Bryanboy will receive the exposure he so craves as the newest addition to the cast of America’s Next Top Model. The flamboyant blogger has signed a contract with the show, and may serve on the judging panel.  (WWD)

• Unlike the folks over at Gucci and Burberry, Prada CEO (and husband to Miuccia PradaPatrizio Bertelli isn’t mad at counterfeiters who knock off Prada wares. Says Bertelli, “Fake goods aren’t totally bad, at least it created jobs at some counterfeit factories. We don’t want to be a brand that nobody wants to copy.”  Do you think he has a point? (WWD)

• If Michelle Obama could be someone else, who would she be? The First Lady told People“Gosh.  If I had some gift, I’d be Beyoncé.” Good to know Michelle Obama and I have that in common. (Politico)

Louise Gray is the next designer to release a range with Topshop. The collection will include Gray’s usual fare, “simple shapes in her signature style with colour and texture,” as well as a selection of cosmetics, sure to appeal to the kindergarten set. Think fluorescent eye makeup and glitter pots. Gray says, “My idea behind the collaboration was to design for the Topshop girl a range that was young and fun, similar to both the fashion and make up I wear already.”  Look for the range in Topshop stores at August’s end. (Telegraph)

• Ever wonder how retailers like Zara and ASOS knock off designer brands? Refinery 29 has the tea. (Refinery 29)

•Find available hotels in NYC at Luxury-Hotels.com, and check the NYC events calendar for more fashion events in New York City.

Our Lady Yaki has been so gracious as to take us behind the scenes of the making of her Revel comeback concerts, which kick off today in Atlantic City. Anyone going? (The YBF)
~Jihan

16 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Eunice Johnson’s Collection The Focus of Upcoming Museum Exhibit, Bryanboy to Join America’s Next Top Model Cast, and Behind The Scenes of Beyoncé’s Revel Comeback Concert”

1. ShrenAKO says:

Hmm, I dislike the First Lady’s answer…lol but to each it’s own! I agree with ‘Prada’ a little, but they’re stealing from the brand if you think about it.

2. The Creole Queen Mother of The Beehive is back to snatch wigs & sashay like nobody’s business across her stage! WERK!

3. Dom says:

That ASOS model knows how to work! I swear, she makes rags look good! IDK her name, but I call her the “selling me a dream” model since I know what works on her wouldn’t look as hot on me.

4. Bajan Candy says:

Wow, that’s fantastic go Ms. Johnson! I would love to be able to view that collection. Way to have a positive attitude Mr. Bertelli. (sn) Beyonce looks amazing!

5. makeeasweet says:

beyonce must have really impress the first lady after that dinner they had together.i hope beyonce know she is truly blessed to have such a wonderful life.

6. coach bags says:

7. Caribbelle says:

lol @ the exposure he craves. I stopped watching after Jasleen’s season so yeah. I wish him luck.

8. I’m glad Michelle Obama was bold enough to say that she would be Beyonce, haters fall back–you can’t deny the talent. The B* is bad! Damn, I wish I was going to that concert!

9. Brenda says:

Info on Bryan Boy’s bag….I love it!!

10. Bronze says:

Because American botiques would not sell Mrs. Eunice Johnson clothes…she went to Pairs and purchased them herself. Her immpecable taste was such that black models wearing YSL…..would be the first to wear in the U.S. To see the entire collection white women would have to attend her shows because she was the only one who had that particular gown.

11. makeeasweet says:

@brenda

i think his bag is dolce gabbana

12. lola says:

QUEEN CREOLE OF THE BAYOU IS READY TO SCALP YOUR ROOTS. U READY?

13. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

This isn’t a knock against Beyonce per se, but she is from Texas. The Bayou is in LOUISIANA. Thou shalt not get it confused.

14. Era says:

We shoulda gone back to Afrtoca when we had the chance then we wouldn’t have had to worry about discrimination. Who cares what others think of you when you are in your own country, lol

15. Era says:

Why do we give money to people who do not like us and who look down on us? We buy there things to make them see that we are just as good as them and they can’t stop us buying sheet cos we’s equal. Such bullsh**

16. Queen B says:

I applaud Eunice Johnson for her impeccable taste and exquisite style, but she should have turned her nose up at those white designers not wanting to sell their merchandise to her. I would have been highly offended and took my buying power elsewhere.