May 21st, 2012
Fashion News
By Jihan

Jeremy Scott designed the costumes for Nicki Minaj‘s Pink Friday 2: Roman Reloaded tour.

What do you think of these graffiti-emblazoned pieces? Are they Hot! or Hmm…? (MTV Style)

ESSENCE Editor-in-Chief Constance White moderated a discussion on the “rebranding of Africa,” the growing textile industry in several of its nations, and ultimately, if Africa’s growing economies can be a new source of luxury for Western (and now, Far Eastern) buyers. (The Cut)

• Some lucky rich person bought Carey Mulligan‘s Met Ball custom Prada dress on Ebay for $2,950. (The Cut)

Victoria’s Secret will open their first UK store July 25th, on New Bond Street at the corner of Brook Street. The launch of the new store will be fêted by some of the brand’s most recognizable Angels, though there is still no word on exactly who might show up. The next day, the intimates retailer will open another store at Westfield shopping centre in Stratford, east London. (Telegraph)

• And for my West Indians, the Toronto Revelers Mas Camp held their band launch this weekend, revealing some seriously stunning Bollywood-inspired costumes for this year’s Toronto Carnival. Check them out! (Beauty is Diverse)

~Jihan

13 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Jeremy Scott Designs Nicki Minaj’s Tour Costumes, Fashion Notables Talk Rebranding Africa, and Victoria’s Secret to Open Two UK Stores”

1. The costumes aren’t bad, very Nicki. I’m sure they’ll be better than the ones she’s worn in the past.

2. zimbabwechic says:

Rebranding Africa? Well first you would have to come to Africa to actually know what you are talking about instead of talking out the side of your necks about a continent you have never been to. Then you would have to educate people that Africa is a continent made up of 53 countries NOT ONE COUNTRY, with diverse styles and fashions and cultures within each country and that no one country is the same. We are not on 24/7 safaris and no not every country in Africa has savanna plains or lions. As you can tell I’m not holding my breath on that one Ms. White.

3. beautyFULL says:

Rebranding Africa,how very condescending.

4. Crystal says:

I wouldn’t be so hard on Nicki if she was late teen’s – early 20′s with this foolishness.

5. Naija Vix says:

*sigh* zimbabwechic took the words out of my mouth….

6. Sandra says:

I am not from Africa but I feel that the fashion industry does not know anything about Africa to talk about rebranding. I have to co-sign with Zimbabwechic on this one.

Congrats to VS on their new stores opening in England.

7. Indigo says:

I agree with Zimbabwechic also…

8. Mazuba kapambwe says:

I was at the panel and the discussion was not about ‘rebranding Africa’ . It was called ‘Design Africa’ and issues discussed ranged from a definition of luxury, mass production etc.

9. Someone please give Zimbabewchic a mic, the rest of the world needs to hear you girl…preach!!!!!!!!!!!! i get tired when i hear people assume or act like Africa is a country and not a continent…we are not Australia booboo 53 diverse, independent , and unique countries..with different ethnic , tribal groups that has different styles , and materials used to beautify their clothing..Ms White needs to get schooled by you Ms. Zimbabwechic pow!!!!!!!!

10. Tessa B says:

I actually like the graffiti tour wardrobe..very fun and great for the summer…

11. GhanaianPrincess says:

THANK-YOU for speaking the truth @ zimbabwechic. African nations are all unique in their on special way. Why do people think its okay to group us together and not specify any of our countries. Educate yourselves and appreciate the individualism of each country before you talk about “re-branding” Africa. Just like any other continents countries, we differ from each other. Its funny how most people will refer to Africa as a country and specify countries in Europe, Asia, North America etc…

12. Harare Mbama says:

PREACH @zimbabwechic! Taura iwe vakunzwe!

*frustrated face* I too am so tired of this lumping together of our identities, cultures, ideals, perceptions, governments and economies. We Africans are NOT all the same and I wish the so-called educated and influential in fashion would be specific about things. Wish they would talk about Mali’s cotton industry, Nigeria’s mover and shaker consumers and their incredible spending power, ethically made garments coming out of Lesotho and what would work in which country after having done some in-depth research. Zandile Blay Amihere is in Zimbabwe doing her thing and checking things out. Go to my homeland in your summer chic and latest eyewear THEN talk to me about what would work production-wise.

I am an African. Hear me hiss my teeth, shake my bald head and ask my Ancestors to enlighten those who need enlightenment quick.

13. BlushB says: