May 16th, 2012
Fashion News, Tyra Banks
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

20120516-175825.jpg
Back in August, Karl Lagerfeld was spied in St. Tropez filming a video for electropop artist Jean Roch‘s “St-Tropez” with Snoop Dogg. Well, the video’s finally here.

It rouses some feelings in me that I can’t explain. What do you think? (Fashionista)

• Millenials are poor with expensive taste. The largely broke and unemployed demographic increased spending on luxury fashion items 33% last year, compared to baby boomers (people with real, non-Monopoly money) whose luxury purchases only went up 19%. (Fiscal Times)

Kelly Rowland must have seen a slender tall black woman modeling whatever she bought

• A new study has found the obvious, that women are more likely to buy clothing when the models reflect the shopper’s size, age, and for nonwhite customers, race. Ben Barry, who conducted the study, says “My study found that women increased their purchase intentions by more than 200 percent when the models in the mock ads were their size. In the subgroup over size 6, women increased their purchase intentions by a dramatic 300 percent when they saw curvier models. Conversely, when women saw models who didn’t reflect their size, they decreased their purchase intentions by 60 percent, and women over size 6 dropped their purchase intentions by 76 percent…Furthermore, black consumers were 1.5 times more likely to purchase a product advertised by a black model.” This explains why I’ve been buying everything this ASOS model wears. (ELLE Canada)

• Just in case you didn’t already think Daphne Guinness was awesome, here’s a video of her performing Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” with Element 4 at Arlene’s Grocery. I am so feeling her gritty, old school Rock ‘n’ Roll vibe. (PAPER)

• Since Vogue has pledged to stop featuring waif-thin models under the age of 15 in their magazine, Tyra Banks has taken it upon herself to make this decision about her. Mme. Banks penned a column for the Daily Beast, in which she comes out in support of Vogue‘s new mandate: “…I actually mentor other girls in the modeling industry—girls that have not been on Top Model, but who appear in Vogue worldwide. On late night calls, I console them as they confide in me about their bodies maturing, and not being able to fit into sample sizes anymore. Now I know you all will still call me for advice, but I don’t think there will be as much of: ‘I’m hungry, Tyra, and I’m tired. But I still want to do runway and high-fashion work. I want to stay on top.’ With Vogue’s new mandates, things, I hope, will now change for the better.” Oh Tyra, we’re so happy to hear that because of Vogue, you will no longer be burdened with making already thin and beautiful young girls feel better about their growing bodies. (Daily Beast)

~ Jihan

13 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Here’s That Snoop Dogg/ Karl Lagerfeld Music Video You Didn’t Think Existed, Women More Likely to Buy Clothes From Models Who Look Like Them, and Tyra Banks Supports Vogue’s Anti-Waif Initiative”

1. 11 Reasons says:

the shade!!!!!! Lol Jihan is one of my fave.

2. Siyam says:

Cracking up over here!!

3. Utibe A. says:

Jihan, your sarcasm makes my heart smile. ♥ =)

4. robyn says:

OMG im sitting here at a conference in among govt accountants (read: the most boring people in the world) trying my best not to bust out laughing!!!! You are HILARIOUS!!!

5. Wallflower says:

If I could punch anyone in the face and get away with it… it would be Tyra Banks.

6. Siyam says:

and what in the world is “Saint Tropez” even about? The guy can’t even sing..although I admire his location choice :)

7. Bukky says:

Jihan! Your commentary slays me every time! I can tell it’s you without even looking at the author tag. Hilarious! Thanks for making me snicker on a weekly basis. :o)

8. V says:

well tyra you do love to make everything about you…soooo

9. Mads says:

Jihan for President!

10. phat-2-phit.blogspot says:

lmaoooooooooooooo Jihan Hilarious

11. Aleet says:

I thought it was just me. I buy everything the African American model for Urban Outfitters wears. It just looks so nice on her skin!

12. Michei says:

Me too! I have to catch myself sometimes and ask ‘Do I like this because its a black girl modelling it or do I actually like the piece of clothing?’ lol

Side note – I thought that model may have been British?