May 16th, 2012
Spring Wardrobe, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to Afternoon Tea

Kierra writes, “I’m fulfilling my desire to be more active in my church and community and have organized an afternoon tea event for the young ladies (ages 10-16) at my church. One of the points of the tea event is to showcase etiquette and proper dress for certain occasions. However, seeing as how I will be the host, I can’t think of a thing to wear! I want to show the young ladies that you don’t have to sacrifice your fashion attitude at events like this and that you can be classy and chic at the same time. Any suggestions?”

Yep! Jihan and I collaborated again. Check out our picks.
For afternoon tea, I’d slip on a super prissy dress with bright colors, like this Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Marghi Printed Cotton Dress (isn’t it gorgeous?):

I’d make it pop with yellow heels, and have fun with colored nails. Keep accessories simple so the dress can shine:

If a $450 dress isn’t in your budget, this $78 Shoreline Soiree Dress in Khaki from Modcloth is also a good option:

If you feel like splurging, Giuseppe Zanotti’s Bow Pumps are always fun:

Jihan adds, “I go to church almost every week, and I like to keep my attire simple, feminine, and classic. I chose this yellow Marni frock because it’s sleek, modern, playful, and the color really pops. Pair it with these super adorable blue Carven bow slingback heels, and a killer pair of earrings.”

Ciaté‘s caviar manicure is really taking off these days, so show these young girls how it’s done with this whimsical and fashion-forward detail. Add a chic clutch, and you’re ready for tea and crumpets affair that is pleasing in the sight of the Lord!
Get the look here:”

“If you’re the type to only splurge on bags and shoes, try this Neon scuba skater dress from Topshop on for size:”

Add this more affordable pair of earrings, and a cute ring. (I’m living for this Betsey Johnson Rio skull ring.) “

What do you think?
Which look would you wear to afternoon tea?

31 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to Afternoon Tea”

1. IMJUSTSAYING says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let your interns/employees also create some what to wear outfits. I loveeeeeeee the way you dress claire Claire but these outfits always have your signature style!!!!!!!!

Im dying for a change

2. Claire says:

@IMJUSTSAYING If you read the post, you’d see that Jihan came up with 2, and I came up with two. If you don’t like what we do, then perhaps this isn’t the blog for you. And if everyone felt the way you do, then we wouldn’t have 10 requests like these a day.

3. Briana says:

I actually like Claire’s options!

4. i love the style……Claire…the dress and the shoes are to die for, and if one cant afford them, they are easy to spot in boutiques and other clothing stores…ps love the jewelries my online boutique carries some unique quirky accessories too.

5. Dee says:

Love love love it all!

6. binks says:

What? No gloves, pearls or fancy hats…this is afternoon tea of course! Just teasing ;) I love all the options listed though that Betsy Johnson ring scared the heck out of me at first but it is getting cuter the more I look at it…lol

7. jme says:

Drooling over the dress from Modcloth….

8. Kierra says:

Thank you so much for the options ladies!!

I love the dress from modcloth and its pairings.

Thanks again!!

9. Kierra says:

P.S. The colorful options are pleasantly fashionable for this event without going over the top.

You ladies are awesome!

10. Liz says:

Love the options Claire and Jihan!

Both selections are Great, but I prefer Claire’s picks on this one. Great job!

12. Farah Andrea says:

Loved every option! Except the Betsey J ring, looking like something for a voodoo priestess, but that’s just Betsey ;)

13. Brenda says:

I always look froward to “What to Wear to” selections. I always love everything that Claire picks, and always look forward to Jihan’s picks. Also, thanks for giving us the look at various price points. Claire and team, keep up the GREAT work.

14. Digg says:

I love all of the looks, but Claire’s are my favorite here. I actually owned a Tea Room with my mother and sister for a few years and I am a Tea Mistress. I would wear both of those first options to host.

15. FBD Lover says:

I love the What to Wears. I especially love Claire’s picks and I like that she and Jihan have been collaborating.

16. EshaDiva says:

LOVE IT! made me want a cup of mint tea lol

17. Sydni says:

I like what Claire did here, just enough. But Jihan, I also noticed this on the What to Wear as a Young Stylish Boss, her looks dont always come together, they lack unity. Like the jewelry in the second outfit combined with the bold colors of the dress, shoes, and bag- it just seems like too much. Idk, just my opinion. No shade though!

18. Miss Smith says:

Kudos for to Kierra for taking the initiative to do this! These are nice choices!

19. Nakia P says:

@Claire, love you picks and will be be inspired by this for a tea in June. Oh and glad to see you shutting down those side eye comments… Two snaps :).

20. Vanessa says:

Totally fashionable and church appropriate!

21. itsjustme says:

love the collabos between claire and jihan.

22. krystel says:

lovely guys!!

23. Misskhadiva says:

woooow claire got mad @IMJUSTSAYING…she didn’t say she didn’t like your options, she just wants more options. *hiding before i get hit with words*

24. Siyam says:

Love the options. I’m never quite sure what to wear when someone invites me to their church since mine is more relaxed but these are great options. Also, digging the Carven heels and the Modcloth dress!!

25. blow my candles out says:

i like this – the colours are soft, suttle and summery
    reminded me abit of phaedra- southern belle classy attorney
    also somthing to wear to church/wedding on a spring,summer afternoon evening
    im sure if one cant afford the pieces shown you can always look
    for cheaper alternatives:) thats the whole point :)

26. NonyabizNess says:

I LOVE these options!

27. endESQ says:

That Vivienne Westwood dress is do beautiful. Doesn’t it remind you of something our FLOTUS would wear? Very regal.

28. DarlingCocoa says:

I like the options, and thank GOD because I’m almost afraid of what would be said if I made a slight suggestion like @ImJustSaying did. Geez, I guess opinions are only ok if they are in total agreement with the popular opinion.

29. Ronnie says:

Little fancy for church, however, this is Clairs blog, so I would never advise her to do anything different! If u like it great and if not move on to the next post! Geesh, its a blog not the style bible!

30. h-vogue says: