May 11th, 2012
Christian Louboutin, Fashion News, Nicole Richie
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Nicole Richie is the latest celebrity designer to be accused of knocking off another brand. Last year, Richie was spotted in a white Odylyne dress with billowy sleeves, braided belt, and an asymmetrical hem. Now, an almost exact copy of the dress is being sold as part of her Winter Kate Spring 2012 collection.

Left, Winter Kate Spring 2012 dress, Right, Nicole Richie in Odylyne

The dresses do look similar… What do you think? (Radar)

• Indian Vogue is creating a fund to bring emerging Indian designers to the forefront of fashion. (FT)

• Executives over at Betsey Johnson have received the go-ahead to start liquidating the company’s assets. In addition to a massive sale of Betsey Johnson items, the company will also be selling its store fixtures: furniture, clothing racks– the works. Most of the brand’s 69 boutiques will close, and only a few of the 400 staff members will keep their jobs. (The Cut)

• Meanwhile, British label Aquascutum has been sold to Asian licensing company, YGM. If you remember, Aquascutum filed for the British equivalent of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy a month ago. But now, thanks to YGM, the brand is saved, as are the jobs of over 100 employees. (Vogue UK)

Christian Louboutin is launching a beauty line next year. Christian Louboutin Beauté is coming to a makeup stand near you. While specific products in the range have yet to be announced, WWD says the collection “promise[s] to break the mold,”  which means, it probably won’t. (Styleite)

~Jihan

21 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Nicole Richie Accused of Plagiarism, Betsey Johnson Liquidation Commences, and Christian Louboutin to Launch Beauty Brand”

1. shaleena says:

Im excited about christian loubiton’s beauty line! of course, im a makeup artist lol! Hopefully its nice!

2. Shawn says:

Oh Betsey! :(

3. tasha says:

Yes, Nicole stole the design. The dress looks exactly alike with a few modifications. Sad to hear about Betsy. I wonder if they will be covering it on her reality show. Not feeling Louboutin making make up.

4. Kitty B. says:

My heart breaks for Betsy, i got the emaail this morning :( but it didnt stop me from purchasing items at 50% I wont lie…..

5. love says:

Dang and nicole can’t even say she didn’t know because she’s wearing the damn dress -__-

6. Oh nooo Betsey!! :-(

Lets be honest, Everybody should sue everybody b/c nobody has anything original these days.

7. Nikki says:

It’s unfortunate for betsey but maybe she should’ve a sub-line that was more affordable or change up the pieces to be more similar BUT with the essence of her more fambloyant pieces.

8. hehe says:

Please that dress isn’t that unique. Any designer can make that dress.

9. hehe says:

You know scratch that , it is a knockoff since she wore the other designers dress and then designed her own copy of said dress.

10. LawyerChic says:

I feel bad for Betsey Johnson, but it won’t stop me from trying to get my hands on some furniture and lighting out of her stores 0___0

11. Poor Betsey, maybe I can get the tulle skirt I was eying for 50% off now…No to Louboutin beauty products, have a seat…Oh Nicole, the got you! Caught in the act.

12. Dee says:

First in line for CL’s cosmetic line. Excited!

13. Ticild says:

LOL.. at the lawsuit against Nicole. Nothing proprietary about this lil house on the prairie dress/ design at all! I remember seeing designs like this at DISNEY WORLD and SIX FLAGS decades ago (LOL). In any case, she did it better!

14. eesha says:

Aishwarya Rai looks stunning on that Vogue cover

15. Danielle says:

I agree with ticild… If they’re gonna sue her they should be handed a lawsuit too. What they did wasn’t original Either

16. Jessica says:

I wish Betsey would change that hair up a bit.. It disgusts me everytime I see it.

17. DivaFabulosa says:

Really Nicole! How is she going to wear a dress and then make a knock off version of it, “sigh”. Wow, Betsy is going out of business. I love her items, I definitely have to take advantage of the sale.

18. Would LOVE to get my hands on some Betsy jewelry at a super discounted price!!!

19. Love my Nicole Richie, but she STEALS ALOT of her designs, trust me when i say it, whoever if designing for her steals from small time jewelry designers and run with it, she has no shame, and thats why i’ve never brought her stuff.

20. Brenda says:

I want to get a copy of that Indian Vogue and see the Work Wear items.

21. Wallflower says:

Dang Nicole! The hi-lo hem is pretty distinct….