May 10th, 2012
Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Work Wardrobe
Style Inspiration: What to Wear As A Young, Stylish Boss

Kirah writes,” At 27, I have recently been given a biiiig promotion. My new post requires me to be constantly in the public eye, in the media, and having meetings with VIPs (including ministers and ambassadors) who are much older than me. I want to strike the perfect balance between looking like a boss (because I am the boss of people who are my parent’s age) and looking like the young, fashionable 27-year-old that I am. Any ideas?”

Congrats on your promotion, Kirah! Big tings a gwan. At any rate, Jihan and I collaborated on a few ideas. You ready?
Just because you’re a boss doesn’t mean your wardrobe has to lose all the fun! Play a bit with pattern while sticking to conservative silhouettes. I love this graphic print dogtooth print pencil skirt and top by McQ by Alexander McQueen:

Play down the patterns with a black blazer and black pumps, but continue to pop with a red bag. This might seem like a lot of look, but you can mix and match each item with different pieces in your wardrobe to create multiple work ready ensembles. Pair the skirt with a white button down; wear the top with black pants; rock the black jacket, black pumps, or red bag with just about anything:

If all over pattern is too much, you can also have a bit of fun with a classic. Instead of a hum drum black jacket, try a striped beaut, like this one by Vivienne Westwood.

Of course tone it all down with a black pencil skirt and heels, along with a statement bag (the one pictured above is from Louis Vuitton):

My last look comprises a Black Halo dress in burgundy, anchored by brown Christian Louboutin pumps:

Accent with small statement earrings, and throw on a trench and a Chanel bag on your way to and from the office:

Jihan says, “You get those coins and prestige, girl! If you want to look like a boss, the first rule is: dress like a professional. Look for pieces with modest, classic silhouettes. It makes for easier dressing and of course, you’ll look like the authority figure you are. Since you’ll be in the public eye, take a cues from First Lady Michelle Obama, and look for eye catching, layerable pieces. This Akris dress is a good foundation. It’s feminine yet commanding. Round it out with a blazer and pair of power pumps.”

“… Make your statement with accessories, particularly a chic statement necklace, which will go further than say, a statement earring. Other than that, keep the rest of your look simple. Splurge on a well-structured boss lady-worthy bag. Looking for the necklace pictured above? Get it here. The navy version of the blazer is here.”

If you’re going to wear pants to the office, make sure they’re work-approved, well-cut trousers. Peplums are all the rage this season, so if you want to stay on trend, find a top with a modest peplum in, again, a timeless silhouette. The neon necklace is another trendy piece that will work in the office if you pair it with the right outfit.”

“… Add a red lip, some colorful shoes, and voila! You look like a boss, and don’t have to give up your youthful style. You can get the green version of the shoes pictured here, and the peplum top here.”

Get some affordable options here:

And there you have it! Which look would you rock?
And how do you dress with authority while staying stylish?

See more of our Work Wardrobe tips here.

35 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear As A Young, Stylish Boss”

1. Apple says:

Great collabo ladies. I like the looks shown here. I didn’t get a promotion but I’m inspired to wear at least two similar looks in the near future.

2. Miss Understood says:

Nice post!

3. boo says:

Claire’s looks are perfect for what she described… while Jihan’s looks may be a little to much for a corporate environment but ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for a fashion magazine or fashion/beauty PR which is what I do…
    overall great job ladies and congrats girl on your promotion!!! #weerrrkkk

4. Siyam says:

These are perfect work ready looks. I always have trouble trying to find interview looks that don’t scream “corporate copycat” and all these are workable. Thanks ladies!

5. SophiaVee says:

I currently work as an internet sales representative at a dealership but my sales manger just informed me about how she plans on promoting me after she moves out of state. This post could not have came at a better time! I have grown even MORE excited for my possible upcoming position!

6. FashionOne says:

Claire I love the first look…Hot!

7. Qcon201 says:

Love this post!! All of the looks are HOT!!

8. Love these looks…

9. Lioness says:

Love this post!!!! Finally some fashion forward corporate looks. I like all of them except for the last one and that Alexander McQueen outfit in the first look is calling my name!!! Do you have a more affordable option?

10. savetheday says:

congrats, kirah!!

i love every.single.look here!

@ jihan– addordable = adorable + affordable? cute! :-)

11. Claire says:

@SavetheDay Addordable, while novel (and adorable), was actually a spelling error. We fixed:)

12. Nkiruka says:

Love All The Looks , But Sheeeesh Were You Going For Realistic Prices ?

13. Ijeoma says:

Congrats on your promotion Kirah!

Bravo Claire and Jihan. I love these ensembles – they’re definitely sophisticated, chic, and contemporary. My favs are the one with the McQ skirt and top and the one with the green shoes!!

14. Jihan’s looks seem a bit too fun for a job that requires you to sit with ministers & ambassadors. They would be perfect for after work cocktails/dinner.

Claire’s looks are perfect for the type of position described. The looks are a bit costly, so it could be great inspiration.

15. Congrats on the promotion!

16. Crystal says:

I love all of the looks. Jihan’s looks are very coroporate, she just added some fun colors. Claire’s looks would have me in a meeting struggling to keep the mens’ attention on business and not bootay! LOL!

17. Wallflower says:

*adding this post to my favorites!*

18. ugk says:

ummmmm she better have uber big promotion with some of these prices. Okay!!!*snapsfigners*

19. natalia says:

LOVE EVERY OUTFIT!

20. iQgraphics says:

i miss alexander McQ. but the industry got what they wanted from him, right? makes me sad.

21. soon2Bmrs says:

Love all looks here! Congrats Kirah :)

22. binks says:

This is what I love to hear, women doing big things! Congrats Kirah! LOVE all the looks listed, I think all of them work.

23. Ay says:

Claire can we please get a Look for Less for that Givenchy flared jacket? #ineeds

Great post though love all the looks :)

24. DeeDee says:

Best post ever!!! Going to buy everything!!

25. Syreeta says:

Every item is gorgeous! There are endless possibilities with a wardrobe like that

26. Kelley Barnes says:

This first set is the only one I care for and would wear. The other ones have really stylish pieces but I wouldn’t necessarily pair them together.

27. Brenda says:

Congratulations Kirah!!!! Love all the looks.

28. Aha says:

The first three are chic, the last 2 are safe. I think probably the last two are the moat realistic. The first three are fun and fashion forward.

29. KK says:

I like both Claire and Jihan selections. Its a twist for all of those gladiators in suits. #Scandal

30. LilLawyer says:

I actually have the same dilemma! Just became junior associate at 26 and it’s hard balancing the look of being a young, fly, professional. Can anyone list any websites that has reasonably priced professional clothing for younger women because Forever21 will not work in the workplace*

31. Kirah says:

OMG!! I’m in love with all of them. And they suit my style perfectly. Thanks for the advice girls and for your swift responce . This

32. Aleya Bamdad says:

Loving everything here- especially the McQueen tops.

33. Desi says:

Love this post! Can we get more post like it on the WORKING WOMEN (i.e. corporate, engineers, lawyers, journalist, teachers……..) and not these darn boring celebs and psuedo celebs?

Thanks In Advance!