May 7th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm
Hot! or Hmm…: The 2012 Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

The Gala Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations exhibition happened tonight, and of course fashion industry insiders slipped on their best pieces to celebrate the stylish annual event.

Let’s take a look at a few of our favorite celebs and what they wore, shall we?

Solange Knowles arrived with Rachel Roy, staying on the peplum trend in this custom canary yellow Rachel Roy gown. The DJ completed her look with Sergio Rossi heels and a silver and gold “Flavia” clutch by Eddie Parker. If you can point to a time since 2009 when Solange hasn’t looked absolutely flawless, please do. And can we talk about how snatched Rachel Roy’s waistline is?

And let’s get a Solo shot of Solo…

Gorgeous. Hot!

Eva Mendes also tried the peplum trend with this red-orange Prada gown. Her makeup is gorgeous, but hmm…the fit and silhouette of this strapless does nothing to show off her undoubtedly hot figure. Perhaps a trip to the tailor could’ve helped. We’ve seen her look much better, no?

Chanel Iman was Tom Ford‘s date, and the top model wore a look from his Fall 2012 collection. Loving her smoky eye and that banging dress. Hot!

Joan Smalls and Olivier Rousteing were clearly one of the best looking couples on the red carpet. Humunuh humunuh humunuh, Rousteing is disarmingly attractive! Joan’s Balmain dress is cool, but that turtleneck is a little too buttoned up. I would have loved to see her glorious clavicles!

Speaking of clavicles, Lala Anthony‘s were on full display, amply showcased in a New York Knicks blue Zac Posen gown with a deep decolletage accessorized by a Forevermark diamond and pave marquee shaped ring in oxidized gold. It’s a pretty color…hot! Carmelo looks great too. I’ll wager he’s just glowing from the Knicks’s first playoff win in a decade!

Jourdan Dunn beamed for the cameras with her friend Cara Delevingne (who is giving mad face, no?). Both ladies looked fresh faced and feminine in waist cinching Burberry gowns. Loving Cara’s Fall 2012 runway studded gloves. Hot!

Kanye West looked somewhat somber and subdued in a Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci tux, probably seething over most of the attendee’s relative lack of style.

Rosario Dawson cut a clean line in a black leather creation by Calvin Klein. No complaints here with the fit of the gown, and she actually looks quite sleek and chic. Hot!

I’m pretty sure this is the best we’ve seen Azealia Banks look. That Alexander Wang frock fits her like a glove, and with nary an ombre mermaid weave in sight, she is the picture of youthful sophistication. Her slightly unconventional makeup looks nice as well. Work it Ms. Banks!

Janelle Monàe is *gasp!* not in a tux! I actually can’t believe what I’m seeing, is this real? That said, the change is hot!, but hmm..the fit on this satin jumpsuit, especially in the mid section, is a tad unflattering.

Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz rolled through, both in Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci black suits. Swizz skewed dapper, but hmm… Alicia somewhat ruined her look with her toes on front street. Perhaps a more streamlined sandal or a pointy toed pump would have upgraded her choice from hmm…to hot!

Rapper/Artist MIA hopped on to this season’s floral trend in an iridescent Hawaiian print sculpted jacket and skirt by Stella McCartney. She seems a bit lost under all that hair, but her lip color and outfit pop! Hot!

Paula Patton beamed in this blush pink gown from Vera Wang. She’s so gorgeous, it’s hard for her not to look hot.

Jessica Alba looked stunning in this liquid gold lamé Michael Kors gown.

Ever on Bajan time, our friend Rihanna arrived fashionably late in a gown by Tom Ford and hairdo stolen from the official Janelle Monàe lookbook. She finished her look with a pair of Louboutin pumps. Check out the back of her dress:

Bam! What do you think of her look? Hot! Hmm…or boring? (I’m leaning towards option number 3.)

Amare Stoudemire was strapping in Calvin Klein.

Rashida Jones stunned in Tory Burch.

Liya Kebede also slipped on a Tory Burch dress. I always wish Liya would ‘wow’ when not styled for a photo shoot, but am consistently disappointed. Even a dangling earring, touch of makeup, or even a bracelet would have elevated her look. This gets a hmm…Her shoes, however, are hot!

And last, but not least, Beyoncé Knowles showed up nearly naked in a glorious Givenchy couture frock. This is a seriously stunning look from King Bey, Ty Hunter really jumped out of the window with this one! Hot!

Get a load of that train! I live!

And there you have it!
Who do you think was best dressed?

Take a look at a few more images from the night:

*Stay tuned for more pictures, we’ll update as soon as they are available!

Images via Getty

144 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm…: The 2012 Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala”

Yessss Bey ! And that’s how you do nude illusion !

2. mesa says:

Rihanna hair tho??? What’s going on?? Lol and Bey looks great!!!! Just great. And solo looks great in yellow. Lala looks pretty in blue too and honestly that’s the happiest I have seen melo in awhile. Lol

3. nickey says:

Solange was the best look for me so far. Rashida’s look is a snooze, but everyone else brought high fashion. I personally don’t like Beyonce’s dress at all. The train looks horrible. But she looks amazing, fit and fresh faced.

4. Str says:

Beyonce , beyonce , beyonce :) Show stopping King!
    Rihanna’s hair is awful but she is a beautiful.
    Solange= Werk , I’ve seen her wear a yellow dress before so it’s ok.
    Kanye suit is dapper but please invest in lip balm.
    Lala’s dress complements her skin tone beautifully!
    Nay to Janelle

5. dayuum_chelz says:

ALL HAIL QUEEN BEY

6. Nicole O. says:

Camilla Belle was my fave until I saw Beyonce in Givenchy Haute Couture & took my breath away. Absolutely FLAWLESS.

7. Bribri says:

I don’t like Bey’s dress, It could be just me but i think she’s doing too much.

8. Kathleen says:

I’ve always been amazed at how close to naked Bey can look without being trashy at all! Just stunning.

can you please profile stylist duo Poodle Pusher? they have taken Solange and all of her accessories to new heights! They are FABULOUSLY AWESOME STYLISTS!!!! I LOVE Solange’s fresh look!

10. ... says:

Beyonce.

11. addikted2fashion says:

I was bored nearly to death and then the Creole Queen Mother filled my body with Givenchy life! Thats how you make your big post baby return to the red carpet!
    This is way better than that too tight McQueen frock she wore to a previous MET.

You better WERRKK Bey!!

12. Gretchen says:

Beyonce. The very F*cking end.

13. King Bey slayed everyone! I just wish she would have worn a pair of simple earrings. Solo looks great as per usual! Glad to see Janelle in something other than a tux, but the wrinkled satin jumpsuit is killing me softly. LaLa’s dress is nice, but kinda boring for the occasion. Paula Patton looks put together for once. Tory Burch+ Met Gala= FAIL!

Rihanna!!!! What happened??? Dress is GORGEOUS nonetheless but a bit boring and subdued for you. Is Mariel Haenn no longer styling you? YOU KILLED @ the 2009 MET gala with the Dolce & Gabbana tuxedo….maybe your just over it! I need that thrill seeker, daring fashionista back!

15. Kayla says:

Camilla Belle should definitely be included in this post because her dress was gorgeous. Paula Patton is stunning. I love the train (color) of Bey’s dress but I’m not loving the nearly nude appearance of the dress. I’m seeing a whole lot of back and its just not working

16. V says:

Beyonce KILLEDDD it. I beg anyone to differ. I did not Like Chanel Iman, Rihanna, Janelle Monet, Rashida Jones or Jessica Alba :(

17. Peach says:

Yasss Bey!!! Paula looks really pretty…Rashida needs to put that Tory Dress back in the closet for another event tho.

18. NYC chick says:

Many gorgeous looks here, particularly Solange, Chanel Iman, and Lala. I love Rachel Roy…would be nice to see her featured more on the site (although the shot above is not her best look).

I guess I’m the only one not feeling Beyonce. Not feeling the lipstick or the fact that she is drawing attention to her thick, masculine neck. She’s also just too naked. Speaking of necks, Rhianna looks horrid from the neck up. Her hair and make-up are atrocious.

19. lola says:

BEYONCE SHUT IT DOOOOOWWWWWWN!!!!!
    Everyone else, pack your bags and go home cos Beyonce is going to be tomorrow’s headline.
    Who is that in the bushes? hiding behind those ratchet plants? oh look, it’s the haters. Heeeyyy!!! hey gworls!

20. Renita says:

MIA???? Umm…. LOVE Paula Patton. Love the Tom Ford on Rih, but her hair is a ridiculous mess. Beyonce is absolutely stunning and damn near flawless. I personally LIVE for the lipstick choice…That coral is great contrast to the purple feathers hand plucked from Keri Hilson’s eyebrows. The only thing I would have changed is the undergarment. UGH…Wish it matched perfectly…Or she should have dared to go there without anything underneath. OWN it.

21. SAM says:

beyonce looks gorgeous, but she never experiments with her hair.

22. Lola A. says:

Rachel Zoes dress was the bomb!!!! post that please!

23. Kinky Curly says:

I was waiting for this post! Out of all the looks posted here, my top faves are definitely Solange,Chanel Iman, and Paula P. in no particular order. An honorable mention would be Rachel Roy.I love Rihanna’s Tom Ford dress, but the hair and nails kind of bring the look down. Everyone else up there was meh. My Fave dress that I’ve seen so far overall would probably be Emma Roberts yellow one.That may change once I see all the looks for the gala

24. Aha says:

Anyone asking for Camilla Belle clearly isn’t familiar with this site…

25. Kinky Curly says:

I’d also add Rosario Dawson and Jessica Alba to the honorable mentions. I actually like MIA’s dress…that’s all I like about her look and Camilla Belle should have definitely been up there because her Ralph Lauren dress was on point

26. @LiyahBella says:

Love. Love. Love!!! Jessica Alba’s dress was stunning! Rhianna’s dress was hot but could have did with open toe sandals vs LB’s Piggaile heels. Iman is so very classy and Beyonce was the closer.

27. Dannielle says:

MIA looks like a damn fool! Please don’t give her snaps for those lips, she looks a fool! Everyone else looks pretty good

28. WendyB says:

Beyonce = flawless.

29. Danielle says:

i must say, i am impressed that most of the ladies really looked lovely !! usually most people look mediocre at best. this is the best red carpet i’ve seen in a while !!

30. Lord, I wish y’all would stop calling her King Bey. The dress was ok. I wasn’t all that impressed. Rihanna looked terrible. Solange looked fabulous in that pale yellow peplum gown. Go Rachel Roy! LaLa’s dress was very stunning.

31. Empress says:

Beyonce Giselle Knowles….Flaw-lessssss…
    Solo looks nice…
    Love Lala dress against her complexion
    Paula’s dress is pretty too..
    Rihanna looks too gothic #nobueno

*ALL HAIL KING BEY*

32. Mmonroe says:

Ummm so was no one appalled by mary Kate/Ashley Olsen? (not sure which one it is) but wtf?

33. solo says:

Solange hands down. I’m tired of seeing Bey with the same ole mermaid fitted dress. Ri looked good in her dress, just wish she came out with a smashing hairdo. Not really feeling anyone else.

34. Alexis says:

BEY! YOU GIVE ME LIFE!!! I LOVE HER! I wish Rhi Rhi did it BIGGER and BETTER though!

35. shelly says:

I guess I am the one three people who DON’T really care for Beyonce’s dress. I think she could have taken the cake if it were executed better. I hat that I can see her nude body suit underneath the dress. I wish it would have looked more cohesive, and not so obvious. I have seen the nude/sparkled lace look done better on Jennifer Lopez, and Rihanna at last years Gala. I do like the bottom of her dress though.

With that said, no body wowed me this year, sadly. But Lala, Solange, Janelle Monae, and Paula Patton look nice. Rihanna…baby girl, you could have done SOOOOOO much better (googles her Met Gala pics from last year). There’s always next year, lol.

36. theMANEtopic.com says:

Beyonce looks HIDEOUS!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!! It looks like she’s dragging one of those 70s furry rugs on her dress! Her sis totally out shined her.
    #epicfail

theMANEtopic.com

37. whatevs says:

King Bey KILLED IT!!!! Princess Solange slayed whateva was left…

38. jaybeelove says:

BEYONCE!! You fucking werked!
    Rihanna, pleaseeeeee! get back your original stylist, Mariel Haenn and leave Mel Ottenberg alone, because…well..look at you at the MET.

39. Kirksey says:

i’m sorry but beyonce was the absolute worst with her off colored spanx, mermaid sillouette that she’s done a thousand times & butt cleavage in the back. The dress could’ve been spectacular if properly accessorized or on someone else.

B was closely followed by rihanna and whatever was going on with her hair smh.

the best of the bunch was definitely solange. she has truly come into her own, everything she wears looks stunning on her.

chanel iman looked great as well.

40. Jasmine says:

Those knowles girls know how to kill the compeitition… im no BEY fan… but she took the cake

41. Sandra says:

No to queen B. It was too much for me and too ugly. Rihanna was boring to me. I was not even expecting her to be there. Lala looked nice and I guess everyone else is alright. Solange and Rachel Roy did look nice though.

42. ijs says:

both beyonce and florence’s breast area’s doing stunts. not the best tailoring. #dointhemost

43. Jennelaine says:

Im so underwhelmed :/ the met gala is the most important night in fashion; the one night where everyone is supposed to completely turn out the red carpet with a head turning work of art. I don’t see that this year.

The ones I did like were Amber Heard, Amy Poehler, Karolina Kourkova, Leighton Meester, and Beyonce…She definitely wins in my book.

44. Jaz says:

Why do y’all call beyonce king bey? I love solange ‘s look.

45. Cynthia says:

#Dead someone saying Bey took the cake and Solange slayed what was left. That was them double teaming. 1,2, punch.

46. Cynthia says:

Someone needs to come get MIA…cuz…

47. Sarees says:

Awesome Collection…. Like all the outfits wear by this beautiful ladies…

48. jme says:

with the exception of Beyonce(nice) and Christina Ricci (love,love,love), i am underwhelmed this year. No J-Lo?

49. Bronze says:

I like the jumpsuit Janelle Monae wore. Futuristic and classy.

50. Lainea says:

Beyonce made everyone else invisible.