April 27th, 2012
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Zoe Kravitz is looking snatched for the gods on the cover of NYLON magazine’s young Hollywood issue. (The YBF)

• Betsey Johnson has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The label has had its share of financial woes in the past. In 2010, Steve Madden, a close friend of Johnson’s, took over the company’s $48.8 million loan in exchange for ownership over the brand. Since then, Johnson has remained at the creative helm of her label, but after several attempts at restructuring, Betsey Johnson’s chief financial officer, Jonathan Friedman, says the brand was left with no plausible alternative: “After exhausting our resources and possibilities, it became apparent that neither a restructuring arrangement with a new equity investor nor a sale of the business enterprise as a going concern outside of bankruptcy was to be forthcoming. Accordingly, our board made the determination that a Chapter 11 store-closing process will likely be the best way to maximise the value of the company’s assets, for the benefit of its creditors.” Betsey Johnson currently has 63 stores and 350 employees, most of which are about to be laid off. (Vogue UK)

• African warlord and former Liberian president Charles Taylor (the man who gifted Naomi Campbell blood diamonds back in ’97) has been found guilty of 11 charges including rape, murder, and sexual slavery. After four years of hearings in a UN-backed court for Sierra Leone, Taylor will be sentenced on May 30th, and spend the rest of his life in a British prison. (Vogue UK)

• It looks like the much-hyped J.Crew x Manolo Blahnik collaboration won’t be happening after all. The retailer confirmed they are holding off on the project, due to “wholesale production restraints on [Manolo Blahnik's] end.”  But weep not, Blahnik and J. Crew enthusiasts– there still might be a future collaboration between the two. Manolo Blahnik president George Malkemus says, “We were looking forward to the potential collaboration between our two brands, we both came to the conclusion that fall wasn’t the right time. We hope to do something together in the future.” (Fashionista)

Pharrell Williams is releasing a coffee table book about how awesome he is, and he’s getting Anna Wintour to vouch for his brilliance. The Vogue editrix is one of the several contributors to Pharrell: Places and Spaces I’ve Been, a book about the producer’s illustrious career, and conversations with the people who have inspired him over the years. Also contributing are rappers Jay-Z and Kanye West. Any excuse to gawk at the “Frontin’” singer is welcome ’round these parts. Places and Spaces will be available come October 16th, at about $55. (BET)

Nicki Minaj‘s wig glue is working overtime, keeping an iron grip to her scalp as she frolicks in the ocean for her new music video, “Starships.” (Hello Beautiful)

~ Jihan

25 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Zoe Kravitz Covers NYLON Magazine, Betsey Johnson Files For Bankruptcy, and Nicki Minaj Debuts ‘Starships’ Video”

1. star says:

DEATH TO LACEFRONTS!!!
    r.i.p nickis edges

2. Siyam says:

Sad about Betsey, Zoe looks hot and Nicki looks like she’s having fun in her video.

3. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Zoe looks beautiful! Just like her mother!

4. Rutgers University says:

I can’t stand pharrel. something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way.

5. Chimee says:

I love me some Pharell but 55$ for a book thats not a college text book is a bet much!

6. Kitty B. says:

Sad to learn about Betsey any major accomplishments or events I had my dresses and coats were always purchased from her…sighs…..

i hate the song Starships, it bothers me and the video is no better… shes done so much work to herself…this is not the Onika I knew in ’09 :(

7. lola says:

Dead @ Nicki Minaj‘s wig glue is working overtime, keeping an iron grip to her scalp as she frolicks in the ocean for her new music video, “Starships.”

I’m done. Lowers casket.

8. sci1045 says:

Nikki please go somewhere

9. keisha says:

where can I find Zoey’s belt?

10. Mona L says:

Her breast and ass is also staying in place because its fake! Just like that lacefront!

11. shelly says:

@ star

Ditto…#deathtolacefronts!

12. p says:

“Nicki Minaj‘s wig glue is working overtime” lmao, jihan you are too funny. nicki looks and sounds ridiculous in that video.

i feel bad for betsey johnson. i hope they put charles taylor underneath the jail.

13. mallory says:

lolol @ jihan

14. ShrenAKO says:

Man! Why is Nicki still rapping. This is so far from hip-hop. Today’s music is dead….and poor Betsy. Why don’t her famous friends help her out.

15. In other news: I predict a major sale at Betsey Johnson’s …

Hell, you were thinking it too!

16. ninjo says:

LOL “wig glue is working overtime”

17. Blessed&WellDressed says:

Lace front madness!!! haha This isn’t even real music.. AT ALL, the video makes it worse. I cannot take her seriously-ever.

Tears for Betsey, I love her work.

18. Cookie says:

My heart breaks for Betsey. I have followed her since I was in high school. I just bought a pair of her earrings yesterday! I love the quirkiness! Zoe does look beautiful and alluring. As for Nicki, I could never get on the Barbie train. I love Barbies, I even collect (bout 20 years worth) them but she is one I do not want in my collection! Her entire being is just nonsense!

19. Starr says:

I’m not a fan of Nylon magazine. Although I do occasionally view the magazines time to time. But, why couldn’t Zoe K. cover the mag? Why does she have to share the mag w/ a bunch of white girls?

To be honest I have never seen a Black girl on the cove of Nylon magazine. smh

20. 3000reasons says:

Nicki’s wig is glued to the middle of her forehead and she looks awkward when she moves, dances, stomping, etc. just stop

21. dayuum_chelz says:

i love betsey johnson clothes but honestly i can understand why she is going bankrupt. her clothes are cute but she charges WAY too much for it. And doesnt offer any sizes over a large but most of the time medium. Sorry but there are far too many heavy set girls on budgets( me included lol) who would love to wear her clothes but id be damned if i spend 300 dolla on a damn dress lol

22. Some of y’all at the top have me LMAO! Zoe looks great! I can’t stand Pharrell, Naomi’s dress is awful. Nicki annoys me and poor Betsey!

23. sarahb !!!! im london G says:

i like starships – its catchy :)
    sad to hear about betsey j
    pharells hair is green
    and charles taylor – life in a british prison ? are u serious ? why not a sierra leone prison?
    the british justice system here is ‘fucked’ up – you can get a college degree in jail- its almost like a hotel, holiday getaway

24. Milra says:

i guess im alone in this but starships is fitting to her personality, it is way better than stupid hoe.

this is the first vid i like from nicki. it reminds me of the 90ies in holland

25. theMANEtopic.com says:

Nicki can do no wrong in my eyes,LOVE her! #teamnicki