• Tyson Beckford once got paid $40,000 for a show he says he “Literally, just walked – for no more than a minute or two [and] they paid me a silly amount of money… $40,000. I was like, ‘Really? You don’t have to give me that!'” Beckford also assures the ladies that male modeling does not a gay man make. “I might have met maybe three male models that are gay. It doesn’t make any difference to me what sexual preference people are but the majority of guys in this game like girls. And we get to work with some insane-looking girls.” (Mr. Porter)
• Last night, NBC’s Fashion Star held an event at H&M’s 51st street location in New York City. Several members of the cast were there, including H&M buyer Nicole Christie. I caught up with her to ask what advice she had for young women of color looking to venture into fashion. “I would say explore your options because there are so many avenues for us in the fashion industry right now, whether it’s buying, designing, whether it’s management in retail, there’s so many avenues and options. I started out in retail, just loving fashion, so I’m not a natural-born designer, but I know what I like, and I know what sells. Explore all your options and find the best fit for you, and find a mentor. That would be the last point. Find a mentor! In this industry for black women, I think it is so important to network and support each other. And I can say that my mentor, she’s a woman, but not a black woman, but when women identify with what we go through in terms of our goals in this industry, it’s so important. And it can be, maybe not who you think it is! Maybe it won’t be a black woman, it could be a Chinese girl! But find someone who believes in you, and work with them. Make that your second job.”
• Attention plus-sized fashionistas! Kellie Brown of the Fatshion Insider is hosting a plus-size swap & shop in New York City Tuesday, May 1st (that’s next week) from 6-9PM at Tammany Hall at 82 Orchard Street. The plus-size bloggeratti is expected to be in attendance, selling their own new and lightly worn clothes, in addition to new pieces from Lane Bryant. So if you’re a size 10-26, check it out next Tuesday! (Slaves to Fashion)
• President Barack Obama looked particularly yummy yesterday when he stopped by the Jimmy Fallon Show. Host Fallon whipped out a photo of the President during his college years, rocking a short ‘fro and a fur-lined jacket that Obama identified as a Goodwill purchase. The President: he used to be just like us! (The Cut)
• Victoria’s Secret Angel Chanel Iman is hardly angelic in Jenna Elizabeth‘s short film, The Thirst. While the title might indicate a different, more groupie-type thirst, the film tells the story of seduction, infidelity, and revenge. Watch Chanel Iman poison her lover after catching him in a tryst with another woman. (Bullett Media)
• Lala is giving away three gift baskets on her site today, which contain plenty of goodies from her MOTIVES for Lala cosmetics line. Three of the first 25,000 readers to register at IamLala.com will win 5 lipsticks and lip shines, a power compact, eyeshadow palette, mascara, cream foundation, blush, and an eyeliner. Go to IamLala.com now to register and enter this sweet giveaway.
All images on www.the-fashion-bomb.com and www.fashionbombdaily.com are readily available on the internet and believe to be in public domain. Images posted are believed to be published according to the U.S Copyright Fair Use Act(title 17, U.S. Code.). Copyright ® 2006-2015 The Fashion Bomb LLC. ® 2006-2015 All text herein is property of the author and may not be copied or reproduced without explicit permission.