April 12th, 2012
Beyonce, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Beyoncé recently penned a heartfelt letter to First Lady Michelle Obama.

The singer waxes poetically about Mrs. Obama, calling her “the ULTIMATE example of a truly strong African American woman,” noting that she is “proud” that her daughter, Blue Ivy Carter can “grow up  in a world where she has people like you, [Ms. Obama,] to look up to.”   (Beyoncé)

• Model Joan Smalls did a quick questionnaire with Vogue, where she revealed her desire to raid Carine Roitfeld’s closet, her affinity for Stewie Griffin from Family Guy, and her love of NYC’s favorite burger spot, Shake Shack. A girl after my own heart. (Vogue)

• How long does it take to make a rebuttal against accusations that your company committed copyright infringement? Three hours. Guess Inc’s Marc Fisher took that amount of time to refute claims that the brand had knocked off designed conceived by the folks at Gucci. Fisher, who is the licenser of Guess footwear said, “I don’t understand the allegation… My family has been making shoes in this country probably longer than Guess exists.” He added that after 50 years, shoes start to look “tremendously similar.” Simple as his argument is, you can’t say he doesn’t  have a point. (WWD)

The Cut wonders if we should call the nail art “trend” that has recently captivated the fashion world an actual “trend” since black people have been on it for so long. I think we already know the answer to that. (The Cut)

High Snobiety Spongebob-ized Kanye and Hova, both in a pair of Yeezy 2′s. Unfortunately, neither of these drawings look like the actual artists. (High Snobiety)

~Jihan

39 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Beyonce Writes First Lady Michelle Obama A Letter, The Guess vs. Gucci Case Rages On, and is Nail Art Really A Trend?”

1. mi manning says:

wow! she wrote “u”, instead of “you”…what is this, a text message? what kind of mess is that to an educated woman like Michelle Obama? Beyonce need to take her devil-worshipping butt back to school!

2. PrncessOfZmunda says:

Sooooo she’s on a first name basis with the First Lady?? No Mrs. Obama. Michelle though? Oh.

3. Jen says:

There they go again. White ppl taking our Sh** and saying they came up with it. Hip hop music is in the process of being taken from us too. just give it a couple decades.

4. S says:

Good to see that black women can support one another
    Cos lord knows reading blogs it feels like there is no support
    Michelle Obama and Beyonce are friends and usually publicly shout each others praise.

5. Candice says:

Way too deep guys, missed the entire point in the letter, I despise it when folks act like they’ve never referenced the POTUS as “Barack” and the First lady as “Michelle” Ha! stop playin. (and not a Beyonce stan btw)….keep up the good work Jihan! or should I call “u” “MS. Jihan” lol

6. lalaland girl says:

Wow, sweet intentions but this is a really poorly written letter. It seems like it was written by a ten year old…I hope that it was just something that she scribbled on a napkin.

Maybe Beyonce.com was not such a good idea. Mystery works well for many people.

7. Anon says:

“The singer waxes poetically about Mrs. Obama” I know Jihan is a stan but c’mon son!

8. It was a sweet letter, but I wish it wouldn’t have been shared with the public due to comments like the ones above. As celebs and public figures go–Beyonce and the First Lady are ‘friends’ so why should she address her as Mrs. Obama? Give me a break! Nail art isn’t a trend—it’s a way of life, lol!

9. Kitty B. says:

I seriously believe the letter was released only because this girl wants and NEEDS attention….and there are so many grammar errors in the letter dont know where to begin…its a like a 10yr old wrote it…SMHHH

SMH at the Kanye and JayZ drawings…

10. Nahla Denise says:

Yall were looking for something to be wrong before you even read the letter. #lame. @mi manning “wow! she wrote “u”, instead of “you”…what is this” Way too hype about the negative. Get your life honey bun.

11. mary says:

Beyonce didn’t graduate from HS so from a gramatical standpoint this makes perfect sense. Bey is a dancer and not an english teacher. Her expertise is being pretty. Sweet note, but we should have had someone PROOF READ before we post on line bey bey.

12. Bree says:

Totally agree with *sun.kissed of 8ty4 Vintage*…all this negativity has got to stop! Give the girl a break.

13. Vicky says:

Congratulations Beyonce- you’ve written the same letter as millions of 3rd graders across the world (and I’m not even looking at grammar)

Why did this need to be made public again?

14. Bie says:

I wish Michelle Obama would start praising regular African American women who work hard everyday at the grassroots level but are not commended or even recognized because we are not in the spotlight. It’s easy to commend eachother when you are in a position of power.

15. couturesista says:

Why is it that when black people do certain things it’s considered “ghetto, hood or tacky” (ex. nail art, multi colored hair) but as soon as it hits mainstream America, it’s a trend, REALLY? Cut the crap!

16. Giselle says:

so—

It matters to you B:ACL women the way she wrote the letter?
    It matters to you BLACK women that she wasn’t 100% gramatically correct?
    It matters to you BLACK women that it’s hand written?

Or — Should it matter that it is a letter expressing her love and admiration for another strong black woman?

And you all WONDER why y’all get degraded in such ways.
    Y’all have NOOOOOOOOOOOO respect for anything!

please, take a hot seat —> \_ and sip that THIRST quencher.

17. Giselle says:

BLACk* excuse me, I was a tad pissed lol

18. peachie says:

why do we care about beyonce’s letter being grammatically correct? do you think this is something that she actually put in an envelope and mailed to the white house? it’s not that serious. LOL

19. Cici says:

“Can I blame Marc Fisher?”…Yes I can…

“What I understand here, which is very frequent [in fashion], is an inspiration to create an original bag of G’s with the same components,” ~Paul Marciano

….Stop Jockin!

20. Stephanie says:

I thought the letter was really sweet. Its a shame so many of us complain about the stupidest things. Who cares so much about the way the letter was written than what the letter actually meant, no body but the HATERS. Get over yourselves because Bey is here to stay.

21. CC says:

lamo yall cray! its not supposed to be grammatically correct, it wasn’t mailed out in a sealed envelope. these notes are more in line with tweets, or like txt messages. some of you are really pressed, lol

22. Brandy W. says:

Come on Bey, upto is not a word.

23. tforre7777 says:

I am going to say that this letter is a fake. I mean really, the letter isn’t formatted. “Michelle, is the ultimate example…”. Oh my. Grammatical errors every where. Maybe this was meant to be a note?An email of some kind? Seriously, if this is at all real, Bey, needs to field everything through her publicist before releasing to the public. Not a good look at all. No bueno.

24. babyB says:

Grammar nazis take several \_ \_ \_ \_
    Don’t act like we wouldn’t find grammatical errors if we looked at your Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr pages. Her intentions were sweet so stop looking for the slightest reasons to hate. I say this as a non Bey stan btw, it’s just ridiculous!

25. Nunyabizniz says:

Yeah, that letter is awfully writen, but the message is sweet though… Why y’all mad that some folks pay more attention to grammar than some others? It is the same thing when I read the blogs, mistakes irk me deeply, so it is not about Beyonce … I know Jihan was cringing while reading that letter, but hey, stanning is much more serious than grammar I guess, lol

Guess needs to stop. They know they were trying to jock Gucci’s sneakers, but then again such arguments are difficult to prove.

I would raid Carine Roitfeld’s closet too, that bish is a beast!!!

26. Lisa says:

That Beyonce letter is disrespectful! You don’t adress the First Lady like that. I don’t care who you are. I have tried to like Beyonce, but she always comes up with the most stupid things. My 12 year old niece can write a much better than this one. Stay in your lane Beyonce, talking to educated people is not something you should be doing!

27. Something is wrong with y’all.

28. yallwack says:

I had to leave a message, because there is some hating a*s women on this site it is amazing how some3 of ya’ll have so much hate for beyonce and never came with in 2 feet of her. The girl has done nothing to none of us, but still I guess u can’t stand her cause u want to be her!! The focus of this letter is not grammar, but her appreciation for Michelle Obama. And no she dosen’t have to address her properly as we would because they are friends! Damn black women stay negative and ya’ll wonder why you don’t have a man, husband or some of ya’ll can’t even get friends to stick around. Oh and let’s not forget the internet gangsters, who only talk trash over the internet. Please all the daily haters on here please play in traffic for 3-7pm.

29. Glow says:

@Stephanie, I agree 100%. O-M-G!! The bizarre and disturbing depths that women go to in order to crucify this young woman is astounding. If she is friends with the First Lady then she can talk to her by letter, by phone, by text, by email….or however she chooses. It was a sweet, affectionate letter sent to someone she admires….nothing more, nothing less. No matter what blog you go to, the same venom is spewed towards this girl. I personally don’t get why some people are So Determined to hate her. What are the true reasons? I personally don’t know of any other celebrity that has this kind of prolonged hate thrown at them like her, be they male or female. Beyonce is just ONE woman among many. The world did not stop spinning off its axis because of her for goodness sake people!

30. La La says:

Come on guys, it’s not a dissertation. All grammatical errors aside, It’s a nice letter. Btw, I just found out what a “stan” is :o/

31. Cynthia says:

Oh… At people always trying to find something to criticize… She called her Michelle…And? As if you’ve never?

32. jme says:

*sigh* I can’t stand that every other celebrity is free game when it comes to sharing an opinion, but Mrs. Carter is off limits….Seriously, this is a forum for dialogue….allow people to share their thoughts without being deemed “haters”. I doubt anyone on here “hates” her.

Oh yeah, sweet intentions in the letter…..I also think she is a beautiful, strong, African American woman to look ‘upto’ (lmao… jk).

33. Missus says:

1. WTH is a “stan”?
    2. All of you who says grammar isn’t important: turn a paper in or email your resume with that grammar or a sales proposal and see what the outcome is.
    3. She is Our First Lady, you don’t have enough respect for yourself as a grown woman to write a PROFESSIONAL letter? I wouldn’t write a letter like that to a” friend”.
    This site is FILLED with Followers! Yikes….

34. Missus says:

Oh Lord: I just googled “Stan” and I know darn well 90% of yall don’t even know who Eminem is….but that’s beside the point. I just really pray for all you kids 27 & under…all you “Slaves to Fashion” and who “gets Life from shoes”…o_O. I’m praying for your generation b/c yall are LOST. Idolizing local dummies who sell their souls for fame…pick up a Bible and most of all get to know Jesus; He’s real and He will openly accept you when u earnestly seek Him. And then you can have all the fashions you desire b/c your desire will be for Him. Psalms 37:4- “delight yourself in the Lord and He’ll give you the desires of your heart “. Matthew 6:33 -”seek ye first the kingdom of God and all His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you” read Chapter 6:30-33. The Lord likes fashion too :-) but Fashion is not to be your god…stop being followers of this world young sweeties…be leaders and let others who are misguided follow you!

35. Blue Ivy's Feet says:

The fact that Beyonce fans are saying proper grammar to the first lady is not a big deal tells a lot about this generation. But hey, if they want to be dumb….more jobs and job longetivity for me because no one is coming for my position!!!

Yes I will scrutinize this letter because the author is made out to be by the media/companies that she is the epitome of what all women should be and I say NOT! It is obvious she is not smarter than a 5th grader because I know a lot of them who could write circles around that attention whoring letter!

36. Truth Hurts says:

Her motives seem good but she’s less than clever.

Then again she is mediocre at best even where vocal talent is concerned and she’s made that her bread and butter. Why expect more from her in any other facet?

I regard her as a nominal talent that through extreme dedication, discipline and hard work made it big.

Not particularly smart. Not gifted with an exceptional voice and range like Whitney or Mariah….but a solidly good *entertainer* who works hard to present a postive image to youth. Props for that. Meh on absolutely everything else. Good hearted but overrated.

37. lolodoll11 says:

“waxes poetically” – wow. There was nothing poetic about this letter. Smh! I’m sure there was a motive behind posting this to her tumblr. I’ma leave it at that. For those complaining about the use of Michelle, I’m with you. Regardless of whether they’re acquaintances or not (bc I definitely don’t consider them to friends…too strong of a word), this is the wife of our President and deserves that level of respect. Heck, even Oprah who really a “friend” will not call her by her first name…at least not in public and this letter was publicized so it falls into the same category. Good intentions maybe but definitely not well executed.

38. Crystal says:

Mrs .Obama is the First Lady of America. Whether or not Bey and her are good freinds, it is proper etiquette and respect that you address her publicly as such. Is this an attempt by Bey to let everyone know that she and Mrs Obama are tight. It sure is a cheap way to feel good about her self. If Obama is a good role model for your daughter it should be because she has qualities of a great woman. This has nothing to do with her skin color. Bey needs to be role model for her daughter and other little girls. It starts with you. Not another black or white person but with qualities of a great person.