March 20th, 2012
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

The Cut caught up with Franca Sozzani to ask her about Vouge Italia‘s latest controversial spread, Haute Mess. The editorial has been called both classist and racist by several people, but Ms. Sozzani doesn’t see it that way: “A racist image, I really do not understand. I went through the pages so many times.”  She says the spread was instead inspired by “messy drag queens,” as opposed to low-income blacks and Hispanics.

When asked if she was aware that several of the hairstyles featured in the editorial were direct copies of real-life hairdos found on websites like No Way Girl and Hot Ghetto Mess, the editrix responded: “I don’t know, I don’t know what to answer. No.” (The Cut)

Vivenne Westwood‘s cover for i-D‘s Spring issue is by far the best of the eight so far released. (The Cut)

• Go behind-the-scenes of M.I.A‘s new video for ‘Bad Girls,’ the first single off her upcoming album. The video opens with some old Saudi men trying to figure out who or what the shoot is for. When they realize it’s for a “songstress” named “M.I.A,” they heartily approve of the project. Glad they were able to sign off on it! (Global Grind)

•  Zac Posen is set to release his first eyewear line in collaboration with eyewear company Illesteva. The limited edition capsule collection features cat-eye and oval frames in a variety of colorways including green, clear and tortoise, leopard print, yellow, and brown. Expect the range in stores next month at Colette, Opening Ceremony, and Illesteva.com. (WWD)

Vogue UK is really gung-ho about this Haider Ackermann at Dior thing. The designer recently spoke of wanting to head an established house (he wouldn’t say which) along with his eponymous label, so of course, that means he’s definitely talking to the people at Dior right now. Early this month, a bouquet of flowers was delivered to Dior headquarters, addressed to Mr. Ackermann. Since then, the folks at Vogue UK have been speculating the designer’s possible courtship with the brand. (Vogue UK)

TOMS is getting all fancy on us. The brand is set to release a high-end line, TOMS+, which will retail between $100 and $140. Obviously, these shoes will be made of more expensive materials, and, as founder Blake Mycoskie says, will feature “different design techniques.”  I’ll assume the TOMS “one for one” policy will still stand with this line, only at these prices, they could donate at least two pairs for every one sold. (WWD)

~Jihan

20 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Franca Sozzani Talks Vogue Italia’s Haute Mess Spread, Behind the Scenes of M.I.A’s ‘Bad Girls,’ and Zac Posen Eyes Eyewear”

1. kalakuta27 says:

NB the video for the MIA video was shot in Morocco so those men were probably not Saudi. I could be wrong though!

I’d love to see Haider Ackermann – anything, anything to inject a little life into the house post-Galliano.

2. Sarah says:

Lets be honest….. I have known some ghetto people in my life a they do not look anything like those women pictured above. I do not see anything racist about this. I see black and white women looking horrid.

3. Savage says:

I thought the spread was genius, not racist at all. Even though I have seen women who resemble those looks..lmao

4. sarahb !!!! says:

im tempted to buy a pair of toms
    theyve been creating a wave in london already:)
    so many people have the vintage run down ones – which arent my taste – each to their own
    might get a bright green pair – bit expensive :/

5. makeeasweet says:

not racist,anyone black or white can look a hot ghetto mess.

6. hehe says:

Drag queens? I don’t buy it. I saw side by side of the spreads and some pics that look like there from hot ghetto mess.com. The spread has racial undertone.What a cop-out.

7. The Antifash says:

Although I didn’t have that big of an issue with the “Haute Mess” editorial, Franca Sozzani can miss me with that messy drag queens bit. The art directors present the concepts to the creative directors/executives and they are either a approved or denied. I’m sure those AD’s didn’t have “messy drag queens” on their inspiration boards when they were presented.

I’m excited to hear MIA’s new album. Bad Girls is originally from the Vicki Leekx mixtape, which has to be one of my top 5 favorite (mixtapes) of all time.

I love love love Haider (really), but I’m not sure I love him at Dior. Lagerfeld said he wanted him to be his successor at Chanel, which would be perfect imo, but Dior?.. I’ll be honest, I don’t think anyone can do Dior like Galliano.

I will not be putting a purchase on the new Toms… I dig the cause, but I’ll stick with the $50 joints.

8. sarahb !!!! says:

first the slave earrings and now THIS!
    seriously :/
    black woman are notorious for wearing ‘Rachet hot ghetto mess’
    hairstyles smh
    google “hot ghetto mess” and youll see the skittles weave etc…
    Its 2012 – just when i thought racism was over smh ..

9. Miss Smith says:

I don’t think the Haute Mess story was racist, but I do think it was in bad taste. Excited to see where my Haider lands. :)

10. Tiffany says:

I like the spread!!! I think its the difference between having the money to buy the clothes vs. the style to pull them off. Don’t see anything racist about it.

11. Jennifer says:

I see drag queens all day. There are some drag queens who are over the top just like this.

12. LawyerChic says:

Its amazing how a difference in a headline can change the tone of a story. I saw the Vogue Italia Haute Mess editorial on a few other blogs with RACIST slammed across the top of it. The views were very different. I personally am not offended by the spread. Its not a reflection of myself or any other Black people I know. After taking a look at the entire editorial I questioned if people would be in an uproar if this were an AD for Brooner Brother’s Hair Show. Its a caricature that very few people fit into. Let them live.

13. andie says:

I’m not offended by the Haute Mess editorial, its the unintelligent people who go out in public looking “a hot ghetto mess” that offend me!
    SN: I love Ms Westwood but that cover 0_0

14. Monica says:

15. B. says:

I agree with those saying that the Haute Mess spread is not racist. I feel it would be more racist to declare that because of their standing in our society, those who inspired these looks cannot be considered fashion inspiration. From what I can tell, this spread is meant to be artful and tongue in cheek, not derogatory.

16. p says:

i just don’t feel comfortable with high fashion magazines that barely employ black people appropriating appears to be imagery of lower class black people for their fashion spreads. and it seems as though many of these racially offensive photoshoots and fashion concepts like black face, “slave earrings”, and that horrifying name that dutch magazine called rihanna could be avoided if there were more people of color in the editorial staff of these magazines. a more diverse staff could cut this kind of b.s. off at the knees before it ever makes it all the way to the pages of a magazine and causes an uproar. (although it shouldn’t be the job of poc, and more white people need to educate THEMSELVES about racism as opposed to waiting for others to do it.)

17. Nana says:

What about Bon Qui Qui?

18. gridal says:

It’s a sh!t spread anyway, racist or otherwise, just terrible.

19. Aleet says:

Monica just about summed it up, “I have seen MANY MANY MANY MANY hood women who look like that. lol… what i dont see is how the spread is racist. It wasnt racist when it was on No Way Girl or Hot Ghetto Mess so how is it racist when its in Vogue Italia? We need to pick our battles better than this…lol.”
    PICK YOUR BATTLES! Its *is not* that serious, people. smh