March 15th, 2012
Fashion News, Solange Knowles
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Need another excuse to watch Solange Knowles live and breathe?

Watch this video from Carol’s Daughter, promoting the “Transitioning Movement,” for “Healthy hair, natural hair, beautiful hair.” Will you join the movement? (Carol’s Daughter)

• After scoring $80 million from Crystal Financial LLC (a big investor) to keep the company from folding, people are wondering how long until American Apparel CEO Dov Charney runs out of luck, and won’t be able to find someone to cover his enormous debt. The company is staying afloat almost entirely on loans, and one of their biggest is due to be paid ($50 million to Bank of America) in July. This  would explain the three-month extension of the American Apparel warehouse sale in New York City. But with their stock steadily decreasing (American Apparel is now worth only 92 cents a share), it’s only a matter of time until the company runs out of options. In the meantime, if you’re in NYC, you can visit the American Apparel warehouse sale at 766 Avenue of the Americas bet 25th and 26th sts. (WWD)

• The CFDA Fashion Awards nominees have been announced! Honorees include: Marc Jacobs, Jack McCollough, Lazaro Hernandez (all CFDA board members),  and The Olsen twins for Womenswear Designer of the Year, and Reed Krakoff, Alexander Wang, and the Proenza Schouler boys again in the accessories category. The affair will be hosted by Seth Meyers, the perfect person to head a self-congratulatory ceremony for the CFDA (WWD)

• So, the Kardashians are extending their quality line for Sears, now offering a selection of intimates. The Photoshop work in this ad is impeccable. (E! News)

~Jihan

22 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Solange for Carol’s Daughter’s ‘Transitioning Movement’, CFDA Fashion Awards Nominees, and Kardashian Kollection Intimates Campaign”

1. alicia Nicole says:

How is American Apperal in that much debt . Thats sad to hear and annoying at the same time . Such an amazing store

2. Maybe they need to market in a different way half of the ads are flagged when i’m at work and i can’t go on their site either. Nor can i fit anything with these DDD’s but thats understandable.

3. Naynay says:

So sad to hear about AA. I hope they don’t fold. I love their clothes (when worn properly).
    OMG… The Kardashians look so photoshopped.

4. Blue Carter says:

The Olsen twins are nominated because they design for Elizabeth and James and The Row.

5. Hannah F. says:

I thought all the kids shop at AA, how are they folding???? Anyway, I like the Solange Knowles for Carol’s Daughter, although her hair is natural, she has a weave in it in this ad. And she’s promoting natural, healthy,transitioning hair…..hmmm. Not that you can’t have healthy hair with a weave, I would just have preferred her embracing her natural
    Without a weave to give transitioning girls some empowerment. I do, however, like this Victorian Roll Tuck she’s rocking

6. Donny Don says:

American Apparel does what a lot of brands are start doing LIMITING. Their clothes are meant for 1 particular size, group, and look so it limits your clientele and your money making potential. I could never wear any of that merchandise because I have broad shoulders and a big butt.

7. Vanessa says:

Riiight for the KK, the photoshop is unbelievable but yet believable. And for the CD line, is it for their transitioning kit?

8. Robin says:

I for one am not THAT sad/shocked about AA. This dude is the king of douches with his shady business practices and the over priced clothes. I definitely saw this one coming.

I have never used Carol’s Daughter products (nor do I plan to), but the transitioning kit seems cool. I was a straight big chop so I didn’t really need a kit like this one. I’m sure this will be successful seeing how packed the natural bandwagon already is…

I’m not fluent in Kardashian.

9. katie says:

I need to the Kardashian sisters to go away. My gawd, these people need to go away.

I don’t like Solange and I don’t care for Carol’s Daughter, soooo, moving on.

American Appeal is going down because their prices. I walked in and I saw these bow hair accessories I really liked, but the price. I couldn’t. There is nothing special about these cotton, solid color bows. Nothing.

10. Crystal says:

Ok, a transitioning kit? I can’t blame them for trying to make money, that’s what companies do but this is dumb. There will be people that fall for it like they do every other clever marketing gimmick.

11. Mrs windy City says:

Is it me or is this “natural” movement disturbing? I say that because there is now an Association that if you are not rocking your natural hair then you are the devil. Women with weaves and relaxers are being condemned and jostled for their choices.

What’s wrong with loving each other and whatever you decide to do with your hair?

12. I’m not surprised about AA, though I know a lot of ppl shop there they are overpriced, who wants to overpay for trendy tee’s and disco pants that you won’t be thinking about two years from now? The Kardashian’s look great in the ad. Someone will be buying it, trust and believe, can’t knock their hustle.

13. Savage says:

Love AA. I do, and if they go under I will be 1st in line to get some disco pants for the cheap!! lol And that Kardashian photoshop..they might as well be cartoons..And Solange just doesn’t do it for me..There I said it! The transition kit is a brilliant money making scheme..I guess I’m a little sore bc when I went natural back in ’08 it wasn’t embraced or glamorized as it is today….

14. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Kim’s waist is a Photoshop FAIL. But they did a great job on Khloe’s, though. American Apparel, there are just no words. And will the fashion folks be able to take Seth Meyers’ joke, you know how sensitive they are, and Seth goes IN!

15. Siyam says:

Rotf @Robin ” I’m not fluent in Kardashian.”

16. Grace says:

@Savage, I’d have to agree: I just can’t jump on the Solange bandwagon. I’ve never been that impressed w/Carol’s Daughter products either. I wanted to love them but they’re just overpriced, better-packaged drugstore products.
    That Kardashian photo may be lol…

17. Grace says:

may be = made me (tee hee)

18. p says:

“Need another excuse to watch Solange Knowles live and breathe”….no because i’ve never really liked her like that.

the kardashian photoshopping is ridiculous. kim’s waist looks completely unnautral.

i like some of AA’s clothes but dov charney has always creeped me out with all the stories about him sexually harassing AA employees and the company covering his ass. i’m on the fence about this.

19. Utibe A. says:

I’m far from a Solange groupie; I like her though. All I have to say is, if you are going to advertise for transitioning with natural hair, then AT LEAST have the chick in the commercial have ONLY HER HAIR! We all know that isn’t all Solange’s hair. C’mon now. -___-

American Apparel isn’t made for anyone with any type of curves what so ever. There are some cute pieces, but I’m not going to spend my hard-earned money on pieces that won’t fit me well.

The photoshop work in that Kardashian ad is impressive, yet ridiculous. We all know Kim and Khloe aren’t the same size. Hell, Khloe is far from obese, but she is a lot larger than her older sisters. Just saying.

20. ChasB says:

The Kardashian line has such poor quality, I’m glad you pointed that out. I was excited to try on a few pieces and when I tried them on all the material looked cheap, the designs were okay, and all the clothes were poorly made and ill-fitting. I expected more, it was horrible!

21. RHONYC says:

dope rendition my fave Solo song ‘Cosmic Journey’.

“yes, i love you i swear”. ;-)

22. Mika says:

Mrs Windy City why would you call the natural hair community disturbing just b/c of the feelings of a few. I’m natural and am not aware of this group you’re talking about. My opinion is this group is full of women who have lost friendships and have family members that don’t want to be around them because they now refuse to get a relaxer. YES PEOPLE ARE LOSING VALUABLE RELATIONSHIPS B/C THEY WANT A FRO. It’s sad but true. I haven’t experienced that in any of my relationships mainly b/c the people in my life know I’m not one to rumble with so they’re (very few) remarks are taylored to appeal to my funny side. Plus I get IT and don’t expect everyone to change how they feel JUST b/c I’m natural. Just know Mrs Windy city that there are plenty of naturals who love you and ain’t mad if your hair blows in your eye :)