March 8th, 2012
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Peep the full editorial for Vogue Italia’s ‘Haute Mess,’ photographed by Steven Miesel. It can only be described as glorious high fashion rachetness. (Fashion Copious)

Please watch the adorable Alber Elbaz sing ‘Que Sera, Sera’ in celebration of his 10th anniversary at Lanvin. Yes, folks, Alber is so awesome that he give us a present for this 10th anniversary.   (Youtube)

•Jean Paul Gaultier has been appointed Creative Director of Diet Coke. He will bring his creative flair and fashion prowess to a limited edition collection of bottles and cans. Can’t wait to see!

• Designer Lie Sang Bong sent his models down the runway with their faces partially painted brown. To me, this look is dangerously teetering into blackface territory; but do you think  this racist, or just a case of quirky artistic license? For reference, this designer has previously used black models in his shows. (Now Fashion)

• Marc Jacobs stepped out with Mr. Slave architect and designer Peter Marino for the Louis Vuitton- Marc Jacobs exhibition photocall at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs. Jacobs chose a polo shirt dress and buckled shoes from his namesake collection for the occasion.  (Daily Mail)

• Pulitzer Prize winning fashion critic Robin Givhan (who Karl Lagerfeld says he’s never heard of… *side eye*) thinks that bloggers suck up too much to brands. Since most bloggers have never worked as journalists, she argues that they are ill-equipped to properly review fashion shows, and instead end up singing designers’s praises without casting that pertinent critical eye. “It’s got to be more than just ‘I loved it or I hated it,’ ” says Givhan. “You’ve got to explain your thinking — how you got there. Criticism is not personal opinion. At its best it’s opinion based on a set of facts that are set in context. I’ve seen shows that I’ve loved but I knew that critically they were not great. And vice versa.”  (The Star)

~Jihan

22 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Peep Vogue Italia’s Haute Mess, Did Lie Sang Bong Use Blackface in His Fall 2012 Show?, and Robin Givhan Says Bloggers Lack Critical Eye”

1. katie says:

“To me, this look is dangerously teetering into blackface territory”
    That because it is black face. If we even have to ask, it probably is.

but do you think this racist, or just a case of quirky artistic license?
    I study art. This is art (sadly), but is still racist at the end of the day. I say it both because art can be artistic and offensive.

2. Mal says:

Robin Ghivan needs to take some demerol and a nap.

3. Lee in London says:

I think Robin Givhans is right, bloggers are not fashion journalists and therefore cannot accurately critique collections..I’m glad she said it.

4. Fashionbum82 says:

I study art as well and yes this is Black face..but I am not offended nor do I believe that it was the intent..

5. artsylee says:

Robin Givhan… Thank you so much. Just because a brand is popular doesn’t mean that they produce quality designs. It stands to reason too that just because you wear a high fashion brand doesn’t mean that you are fashionable, that things fit well, that the colour works. So glad to hear this.

Whether meant to be artistic & quirky or offensive, the bottom line is that it is offensive & in-sensitive.

And what is going on with men in fashion? Too many are losing their minds!

8. sun.kissed says:

What in the Pink Ranger/Lucky Charms hell is Marc wearing? He needs to quit playing. I’m over all of the junked up/hood chick editorials. Find a new lane!

9. Sandra says:

I agree with Ghivan. I am a fashion blogger and I do reviews on my blog. You have to be able to say more than I like ir or not. You have to explain why? Something for me to keep in mind. She was right when she also mentioned the fact that some bloggers are paid in trips and other freebies to tell good things about designers or to wear their clothes on their blog. Fashion integrity should be more important than popularity or getting freebies just to attend shows.

10. Erica B. says:

Vogue Italia looks like it pulled photos from “You Know You’re Dead Azz Wrong”. People should stop walking the streets looking like a fool and giving them fodder. I’m not offended because I’ve mocked this type of ratchetness as well.

I think Robin needs to be realisitic and keep up with the times. If blogger’s opinions didn’t matter, they wouldn’t be invited to sit front row. What? Did a blogger steal her seat?! Bloggers have a far wider reach than she does. I think she’s hating because she doesn’t have the mass appeal as Atlantic-Pacific, Maneater or The Fashion Bomb.

11. Fab. says:

lmao @ Mr. Slave!!! Hahaha he looks just like him, icant

12. Brittany says:

I think Designer Lie Sang Bong partially painted faces was a cool concept. I don’t see blackface and I don’t think anyone should be offended.

13. Rob says:

I’ll be honest. IDGAF about this Bong collection. It was lame so, yeah…

The Italian Vogue thing is VERY interesting to say the least. MTO is convinced the editors are checking for them smh lol

I agree with Robin 100%, however if you are going to talk these bloggers, feel free to call out your peers too….Lets talk about some of these real editors who “suck up to brands” shall we?

14. Robin Givhan She is right! I read a ton of blogs that praise the hell out of designers and i’m thinking for one this line if boring, or ill designed. Just because it’s from a certain brand doesn’t mean it’s all that. They are scared to be different and say anything against these brands as if they are watching. I like bloggers that pretty much point out what they like about a piece or something. If they only knew how many other blogs are out there putting on these designers in the same fashion they might be tempted to think outside the box and put their real thoughts out there.

15. Also the face paint…had he do another color it wouldn’t have been a problem.

16. Robin Givhan is so right. Everyone who loves fashion, has an opinion, and had a medium to express said opinion is not automatically a critic. I do, however think she may be overlooking the fact that blotters are the voices of the consumers, so they are still very important to the modern fashion industry.

I also love Marc Jacobs and his dresses!!

17. Tai says:

LMAO @ sin.kissed!!!! Literally almost spit out my water!!!! Hahaha I was thinking the same thing!

18. p says:

brittany-just because you’re not offended doesn’t mean you get to tell other people whether or not they can be offended.

anyway, i definitely think that’s blackface. i don’t think white people should be painting their skin to look like other races ever because of the racist history of blackface, yellowface, redface, etc. i don’t think intent matters when it comes to racism, you still feel offended. people need to educate themselves.

as for robin givhan, i think she’s right. some fashion bloggers come off incompetent when critiquing fashion and others seem genuine until you realize they’re being compensated and shilling for a particular brand.

19. bougiehippie says:

I agree with Robin. Gain training first! Then critic second.

20. noirmuse says:

Robin Givhan seems to dismissing fashion bloggers altogether, and that’s irresponsible journalism. Fashion blogs are image oriented, messages need to be concise and effective and few writers know how to do that, but those who do hit it out of the ball park. As for just kissing up to brands and media entities she would know.
    The sun is setting on Givan and she’s clearly 10 miles off of where she’s attempting to be. As an aside, I’ll never forget the amount of hate she directed at the FLOTUS, for no damn reason. Just bitter!!

21. MEME says:

Of course Fashion Bloggers are gonna sing the praises of every collection they see, they obviously are either getting free stuff, or enjoying the perks of sitting front row at their shows. They really aren’t going to risk all of that by being honest, especially by coveted luxury brands. This is the downside of Bloggers.

22. Ronnie says:

Robin is so right but the problem to me is taking theses blogs so seriously. Arent the just for fun? All the arguing on here about each others opinions. Ridic! As for the black face, its a freakin black oval. We dont own the rights to everything done in that color. Its just art! It could be an ode to the moon and darkness. Who knows, calm down!