March 1st, 2012
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• When will magazines stop relying on racist tropes to sell copies? After being blasted by dark skinned Filipinos, FHM Philippines has scrapped a cover featuring fair skinned actress Bela Padilla pushing past two Filipina models painted black, under the caption “stepping out of the shadows.”

Ms. Padilla and the folks at FHM apologized for the misstep and claimed the cover had no racist intent. FHM released a statement saying, “In our pursuit to come up with edgier covers, we will strive to be more sensitive.” I feel like this is happening too many times. Is racist imagery really so hard to avoid? (BBC)

Delfina Delettrez (of the Fendi clan) has teamed up with Kenzo to design the accessories for their Fall 2012 collection. The selection will include belt and shoe clips, necklaces, bracelets, and rings, which will be made from real walnuts coated in resin. Prices will range from $270 to $600. Sounds fab, no? (WWD)

• The late (still feels weird saying that) Whitney Houston is Essence Magazine’s April 2012 cover girl. (WWD)

• Word on the street is Bill Gaytten has been signed on to Dior for another six seasons. Rumor has it that Raf Simons was in talks with the label to replace John Galliano, but (like Marc Jacobs) was rejected because his salary requirements were far too high. (Hint)

• Speaking of Dior, the brand has launched an “online magzine,” which would be a cool and innovative descriptor, were it not for the existence of the word “blog.” (WWD)

• For jewelry e-tailer BaubleBar‘s second designer collaboration Fusion series, they’ve partnered with none other than DKNY. The two will release a nine piece collection of earrings, bracelets, cuffs, and rings featuring resin poppies and multi-tonal metal chains. Prices range from $40 to $320. The collection launches today, so if you’ve learned anything from the past several designer collaborations, you should probably hit up BaubleBar today and cop the pieces before they all sell out! (WWD)

~ Jihan

18 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: FHM Philippines Pulls Controversial Cover, Whitney Houston Covers Essence April 2012, and Was Bill Gaytten Signed on for Six More Seasons at Dior?”

“I feel like this is happening too many times. Is racist imagery really so hard to avoid? (BBC)”

My answer: Not hard to avoid – they are just being who they are. They have no exposure to other cultures (except maybe for tv) or history and I’m sure some of “them” just plain don’t give a rats azz.

2. TicaPica says:

Without a shadow of a doubt (no pun intended) the worst part of this FHM saga, was the justification given by the cover model herself…just watch the BBC video interview with her!

3. Yeah i saw this yesterday and say the caption and shook my head. This is mess, and what were the black models told in order to show up because i think I’d probably put 2 and 2 together and say i’m not down for this. The caption isn’t showing it said something like “out of the darkness” I think if i can remember! I’m sure the white model knew what the concept was.

4. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

@Elle- I read on Huffington Post that those were Filipino models painted darker, which takes this to a whole ‘nother level of irritating.

5. Jihan says:

@ Elle yes, it said “stepping out from the shadows,” and the models are filipinas painted black, both of which are mentioned in this post.

6. stepping out of the shadows huh? smh smh when will it stop?……

7. Pinky says:

really? black face in 2012?? FHM should be ashamed.

8. Marsha D says:

Whitney’s cover shot…mmmm…don’t like the photo they used. Looking into her eyes….she doesn’t look happy in this photo, they should have used another one. JMO.

9. TRUTH teller says:

THAT FHM COVER IS BEYOND FUCKERY! WHITNEY LOOK GREAT IN ESSENCE RIP TO THE QUEEN!

I am not shocked about the cover of FHM in terms of the blackfacing of some of the models. I think they don’t see it as anything wrong, and don’t realize how offensive it can be. This is not the first time, please look up a tv show “Nita Negrita”. That is shown on tv in the philippines. Unfortunately, its a culture where having lighter skin is more acceptable, and due to this, darker skinned or some black individuals are not readily available in the media or accepted in the media. I guess the thought is, if they need a darker individual just paint someone black. I am not trying to make excuses for the mag or the actress, but thats a little background why they may have not thought anything wrong with some of the concepts of the cover

11. LawyerChic says:

Like really who comes up with this stuff? I’ve sat through plenty a brainstorming meetings and bad ideas usually don’t make it out. Idk how foolery like this gets the green light.

12. vonne says:

The media is so predictable. Why don’t these magazines and photographers do something new and creative instead of the typical race baiting? No talent I guess so they’d rather depend on racism. So pathetic.

13. Jihan says:

What’s really weird about this whole thing to me is that while the Philippines has a history of favoring light/white skin, when I was there a few months ago, the Filipino people kept telling me they thought I was pretty. Like they would stop me and everything. Even young teenage boys who are most susceptible to ascribing to narrow standards of beauty. A male store attendant came up and tried to swag on me while I was shopping, but I’m assuming that guy might have been looking for that American *visa.*

The whole thing was strange to me because I thought they didn’t think dark skin was cute, so I was surprised that I was so well-recieved. I guess just like any country, the notions of beauty are multi-faceted.

14. Robz says:

The FHM cover is no surprise to me… Shame on the creative team at FHM. I would actually like to know who the art director was over this shoot. THIS PERSON is who we need to blame (in addition to the creative director who approved this shoot)

I am interested in seeing the Delfina Deltrezz collab. I usually love her pieces but real walnuts? We’ll see…

Was the Whitney cover was pulled from another? It looks like something from the late 90′s?..

Not impressed with Dior as of late. The clothes are beautiful, but I miss the show’s of the Galliano days. What a shame…

15. Dobe says:

Essence could have done better with that cover. Hopefully the pics inside are something to look at. RIP, Whitney :(

16. trena says:

guys its like a habit after a while u do it it unconsciously without even thinking thats what discrimantion and rascism against blacks or persons of darker complexion is like….most of th time they jus do it cause its what they know its implanted in their inconsciousness and many times it comes out unexpectedly jus like this…..

17. Porsche says:

I am more concerned about the phrase that went along with the cover. That is simply disgusting and out of line. I am so sick of this shit for real. It is as if they just don’t get how rude and offensive it is. Every other week there is something. It really upsets me.

18. Porsche says:

And with the hologramation the girl on the bottom left literally looks like an armrest. A prop… it’s disgusting.