February 27th, 2012
Diversity, Ethnic Models, Fashion News
Fashion News: Joan Smalls Covers Vogue Italia March 2012
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Joan Smalls is the cover girl for this month’s Vogue Italia. Photographed by Steven Miesel for his “Haute Mess” spread, Joan is the first woman of color to cover the issue in four years. The model tweeted her surpise this morning at snagging the March cover, describing it as a dream come true:

Congratulations to Joan! Our model of the year continues to snatch wigs!
What do you think of the shot?

~ Jihan
PS Does this cover remind anyone else of Donyale Luna , the first black model to cover British Vogue?

If you don’t know about Donyale, read about her here.

15 Responses to “Fashion News: Joan Smalls Covers Vogue Italia March 2012”

1. Sabrina Davis says:

Congrats! When I seen this cover I actually had to take a double look, because she resembles BEYONCE on that cover O_o

2. lola says:

Sabrina
    She does. Not a fan of the cover. They could have done something a lot more fiercer but congrats regardless.

3. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Joan Smalls is doing things and everywhere these days. She is “THE” model of the moment. Just saw a special on her on CNN this past weekend. Good for her!

4. Taj says:

I think the cover is absolutely beautiful.

5. bougiehippie says:

This girl is clearly winning right now!

6. Diggs says:

I think the cover is gorgeous. Congrats to Joan!!

7. Jill says:

She reminds me of my mom as a young woman so much. IT’s crazy.

8. Vanessa says:

Very comparable. Very pretty.

9. Safera says:

Right on the money Jihan. I thought the same thing; Donyale Luna.

10. sun.kissed says:

Yeah, I thought it was Beyonce at first glance too. The photos are similar, but I can’t help but bring up that Donyale’s face is half covered.

11. Katy says:

Many people are saying it’s been 4 years that black modelS have graced the covers of Italia Vogue but my question is, when was the last time only 1 black/latin model got the cover??

12. Katy says:

I understand there was a black model on the cover 4 years ago but the magazine was about celebrating black models. Does anyone know who was the last black model to solely grace the covers for Vogue Italia?

13. @katy I believe Rose Cordero was the last to cover Vogue Italia

14. josh says:

@beauty is diverse- Rose was actually on the cover of Vogue Paris, not Vogue Italia.

15. The Minute I set my eyes on your posts glitter explodes throughout the atmosphere angels and fairies dance across the room the world shines rainbow colors I love your blog keep posting baby X mercury moonshine dutchess