February 24th, 2012
Fashion News, Kanye West, Tyra Banks
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• These days, it seems there’s little Tyra Banks can’t do. In the past year, she’s launched a new fashion and beauty website, TypeF, published a young adult novel, and shot two seasons of America’s Next Top Model. She can add another accomplishment to her long list, having officially graduated from a Harvard Business School program yesterday! The model mogul tweeted three photos from her big day, including this one of her proudly holding her diploma certificate. Congratulations Miss Ty-Ty! (Tyra Banks Twitter)

Nicole Scherzinger is the newest spokeswoman for imPress Press-on Manicure by Broadway Nails. She is releasing a limited edition range of nails for the brand, with designs inspired by her native, Hawaii. Catch the line in CVS and Wal-Mart. (WWD)

• You gotta hand it to Kanye West. After being panned for the fur-laden spring collection he showed at Paris Fashion Week last season, he pressed on, determined to establish himself as a serious designer. Now, it looks like ‘ol Yeezy’s finally getting somewhere when it comes to designing womenswear. The rapper designed shoes for Australian designer Dion Lee‘s Fall 2012 collection. And you know what? They’re actually cute! (A little Lanvin-y, but cute!) We know Mr. West studied under famed shoemaker Giusseppe Zanotti, and it seems to be paying off. Would you rock these Kanye-designed heels? (Fashionista)

The Cut caught up with Joanna Mastroianni to talk about Zelda Kaplan, who passed away in the front front row of her Fall 2011 show a week ago. “Oh, I was beyond shocked,” she said, “First of all, I had no idea what was going on backstage; I didn’t even find out about it until we were — not only was the show over, but we were out of Lincoln Center. I had no idea… But I have to tell you, if a fashion girl ever decides to go, this is the way to go.” (The Cut)

• Well, it’s official, guys. In a few days, Jil Sander will return to her namesake label to replace current Creative Director Raf Simons. Simons has served at his post since 2005. Still no word on whether Simons will go to Dior, but several sources say it’s unlikely. (WWD)

Beverly Johnson, the first black woman to ever cover Vogue, is getting a reality show on OWN. Beverly’s Full House will focus on the former model opening up her home to her daughter, son-in-law-and newborn granddaughter (how cute is she? I die.) The show is set to air starting March 31. (Styleite)

~Jihan

25 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Tyra Banks Graduates From Harvard Business School, Kanye West Designs Shoes for Dion Lee, and Jil Sander Confirms Return to Her Label”

1. T1K says:

Good job Tyra! Two thumbs up and a hi five for that one ;)

2. sun.kissed says:

Congrats to Tyra! I actually like the Kanye’s shoe design, but they sure don’t look comfortable.

3. Vanessa says:

Yay Tyra!

4. Dee says:

Snaps for Tyra!!!

5. Jennifer says:

Good job Tyra. YAY YEEZY!

6. noirmuse says:

congrats to Tyra!

Hell no for Kanye , Kudos to Tyra ( even though it was a Certification Program )

8. Vanessa says:

That is awesome news from Tyra.

9. Kay says:

Congrats Tyra, it’s a cake walk to start college, but graduating is a BIG accomplishment. Your such a great role model for ALL women around the world! If only I could meet you one day ;)

10. CongraTs Tyra bbbuuttt I didn’t know that commencement ceremonies were held in the middle of semester.

11. Omgeezy!!! says:

umm did tyra ever get and undergrad degree? No shade!

12. Katie says:

“These days, it seems there’s little Tyra Banks can’t do” except for the TypeF garbage wear the people who did tutorials for natural hair or just tutorials in generals for black women were Gawd awful. Glad she took them down. IJS

13. clicky_heels says:

Tyra – be gone with you!

& as for Kanyes shoes = nooooo!

14. charlee says:

Tyra completed a business program, it wasn’t a business degree. She therefore graduated with a certificate not a degree. Still a good look.

I actually like Kanye’s shoe design.

15. BlkRose says:

She did not graduate, it was a certificate program.

16. Kishonda says:

Congrats Tyra!! THats how you do it!

17. Grace says:

I’m gonna need Tyra to take it down several notches. It’s a certificate, not an actual Harvard MBA. Congrats?

18. Ell says:

@Grace. Tyra never claimed that she graduated from Harvard with a degree. Even with it being a certificate, it’s not like some puny learning annex or community college cert in mediation or whatever. It’s a certificate acknowledging completion of an advanced business program for senior executive of a companies w/ annual sales exceeding $5 million dollars. If I were Tyra, I’d be happy sh1tless, too.

19. mahoganyb says:

IT IS A DIPLOMA FOR A PROGRAM THAT ANYONE CAN BE ENROLLED INTO IF THEY HAVE THE $93,000 TO PAY FOR IT. PLEASE PEOPLE, LET’S NOT GET IT TWISTED AND UNDERVALUE THOSE WHO ACTUALLY SPENT FULL 3 YEARS GETTING AN ACTUAL DIPLOMA AND WORKING THEIR BUTTS OFF TO GET INTO ACTUAL DEGREE PROGRAMS. I’m not knocking her accomplishment at all but I don’t think it deserves as much praise as it is getting. She “spent three weeks on Harvard’s campus a year for three years and their education cost about $31,000 per year in tuition”.

20. Grace says:

Actually, tuition at Harvard B-school is $51,000 a year and that does not include living expenses or other costs of enrollment. A number of my close friends actually attended or are currently enrolled in the degree program, which is why I need Tyra to take it down several notches.
    @mahoganby-agreed!

21. Minnie says:

Is it just me or is this hate on Tyra a lil much?? Shouldn’t we be focusing on the fact that she completed her schooling 2 get that Havard certificate?! Honestly I think she is a great role model and sharing this picture of her with her certificate can make a big impact on youngins who look up to her. Congrats Tyra! IMO you’re great!

Really,crossing out the word diploma next to the word certificate is just showing how catty you are jihan.seriously all you broads complaining about it not being a diploma are pathetic hateful b**ches.

23. Jihan says:

To the Anonymous commenter who felt it fit to call me catty, please realize that I had written diploma first, because that’s what I thought it was and it was corrected. No shade at Tyra. I’m actually really proud of her, but I guess you skipped over the part where I congratulated her, so you could rush to the comments section to call me catty.

24. Tricia says:

jihan you know damn well you meant that to be catty! if it was an honest mistake you could have just deleted the word diploma. just own the cattiness because it was funny, lol. however, props to tyra because no one should ever look down their nose at someone for getting their schooling on whether it be a degree, diploma, certificate or a damn GED!

25. Jihan says:

@Tricia nope, did not mean to be catty at all.