February 20th, 2012
Awards, Beauty, Celebrity Style, Fashion, Hot or Hmm
Weekend Hot! or Hmm…: The 43rd Annual NAACP Image Awards and More!
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Happy Monday, folks!

My heart is heavy and my eyes are puffy this weekend from watching Whitney Houston‘s BEAUTIFUL home going service on Saturday. Thoughts and prayers to her family and may she rest in peace.

Though everyone’s focus was on Whitney, naturally things must go on, so some folks were out and about. Let’s take a look…

At the 43rd Annual NAACP Image Awards…

LOVE this hair and makeup on Tamera Mowry-Housley. The brown smoky eye with a touch of silver brings out her brown eyes perfectly and her hair is as shiny and bouncy as ever. HOT!

The dress?

The cowl neck silver Nicole Miller gown accented with a raven clutch looks fabulous on the famous twin.

I’m not as in love with Tia Mowry-Hardrict‘s makeup and hair as I am with her sister’s, but it’s still quite lovely. Her skin is glowing like the morning sun.

This mint green one-shoulder BCBG Max Azria dress is the perfect color and shape for the new mama, but the shoe choice is a little underwhelming. No worries, Tia’s still a hot chick.

Viola Davis oiled up her guns and her own twins in this tangerine halter Hervé L. Leroux dress. LOVE the color on her deep cocoa skin—sista’s body is TIGHT. *drops down and does 100 push-ups* ok—does 1/2 a push-up. smh

I like Vanessa Williams‘ makeup, but the thin brows age the “Desperate Housewives” star. I know Sam Fine (who often does her makeup) didn’t do this, so whoever did, please give this woman more brow.

But I do love the sweetheart neckline jacquard dress. Look at her skin just glowing and glistening. Go ‘head, ‘Nessa!

Oh, Tracee. I was digging the new hair color and usually like when you do this top knot, but it’s not polished enough for the red carpet.

And this Jovani scattered sequin dress seems ill-fitting. This is not how we like our “Girlfriends”. Hmm…

Ashley BanksTatyana Ali wore a simple chocolate brown halter dress with sexy cut-outs. Somebody’s been working out…I see you, Tatyana! HOT!

This makeup is everything! The brows perfectly frame her gorgeous face, the blush brightens up her complexion, and the hair is coiffed to perfection. HOT!

Clearly there was a halter dress trend at the NAACP awards and Taraji P. Henson was up on it with this silver Randi Rahm gown that I love.

Hair and makeup is typical Taraji, but we’d have it no other way.

Sanaa Lathan wore a tangerine cowl neck Escada dress that hugged her curves. LOVE.

Love that she paired bronzy eyes and cheeks with a popping red lip. HOT!

Her co-host Anthony Mackie looked all dapper in his suit. Just look at that little smirk on his face. ;)

Paula Patton looked lovely in a strapless red beaded Monique Lhuillier gown. Great hair and makeup, too.

Octavia Spencer posed in an azure ruched Tadashi Shoji gown. The designer certainly knows how to dress Ms. Spencer–in fact, I got to hear him tell the story of how emotional she got when he dressed her for the SAG Awards—she couldn’t believe how beautiful she looked. He sure knows how to make a woman feel good!

Love this wavy mermaid hair and smoky eye on our girl Amber Riley.

This asymmetrical neckline navy blue sequined dress is it, honey! Loves it, Amber.

Ne-Yo wore his usual suit and hat (likely from his line at Sak’s). Good job.

I adore this coral gown on Michelle Williams. The color makes her look youthful (coughfinallysneeze) and the flow of the fabric adds a little curve to her frame.

Meagan Good can really rock a short cut as seen above, but can’t say I co-sign these tattooed (???) brows.

What I do co-sign is this light peach dress and her hot little body in it. *drops my sandwich and does a 24-hour cardio marathon*

“Girlfriends” and “The Game” creators Salim and Mara Brock Akil make a gorgeous couple. Salim’s taupe shoes and bow tie are making me choke on my grapes, but this black deep V-neck gown on Mara brought me back to life.

Despite the fact that you can find Lenny Kravitz‘s outfit at the junior’s section at Macy’s, he’s still really, really hot. I missed most of the show, but did catch his performance (funny—because I’m watching “The Jeffersons” now as I type this). I’m going to need his new album.

Oh shoot, Keshia Knight Pulliam is getting thick out there in Atlanta. Not mad at all, but a less clingy and less shiny dress would have done her better. Or perhaps a shaper. And is the hem falling down? C’mon, Kesh.

And I see she subscribes to the Kim Kardashian “more is more” school of thought when it comes to fake eyelashes. Yikes. Great hair though.

I love me some Keke Palmer and simply adore this hot pink Naven gown she wore. Our little baby done grew up *sheds single tear*

I’m not exactly in love with the hair and the dark lip paired with the dress, but we still love you, Keke!

I can’t decide what I think of Jill Scott‘s lace dress. I’m seriously at a loss for words.

Hair and makeup are on point though.

Jenifer Lewis has played everybody in Black Hollywood’s mama and showed up looking like the Queen of Hearts in this jacquard getup. What would Vereta Childs say?

But she brought it home with this gorgeous makeup look! And I see you with your little fro, Ms. Lewis!

OK, I’m confused. Did India.Arie think she was coming to the NAACP Image Awards or a local chapter meeting? This white blouse and pencil skirt combo looks fabulous on her, but it’s WAY too casual for the Image Awards. And what’s with the huge purse? Didn’t trust coat check, India?

Foundation is a little cakey, the lip color and hair are nice.

Holly Robinson Peete (who I loved since “21 Jump Street”) rocked a dark teal smoky eye and Shirley Temple curls.

Her dress is gorgeous, but did her stylist forget to continue steaming it below the hips? Yikes.

Garcelle Beauvais and India.Arie both must have thought they were headed to NAACP local chapter meetings. Love her outfit, but just like India, she’s way too casual for such an event.

And because Danielle loves the kids…

Elijah Harris and Trinity Harris look absolutely adorable in their little outfits and natural hair. Aww!

China Anne Mcclain and Zendaya Coleman both look like little princesses with age-appropriate hair, makeup, and dresses.

And little Astro got his cool man on with readers and tie-less jacket and shirt paired with a backwards hat and jeans. Great mix of hip-hop and formal wear. Reminds me of a little Will Smith during his “Fresh Prince” days.

Jennifer Hudson dazzled in a periwinkle Maria Lucia Hohan. Cute.

Love the makeup! The hair is a little 1960s prom, but whatever.

My girl Regina King looked smoking HOT in this scarlet Romona Keveza gown (P.S. remember when Toni Childs from “Girlfriends” got married in one of the designer’s gowns?).

Anika Noni Rose is such a beautiful, elegant woman, but I don’t like this hair. It’s too edgy for her classic face. Nice makeup though.

Not a fan of this Toujouri spring 2012 gown either. The silhouette shows off her terrific body, but the styling seems a little dated.

Then in non-NAACP Image Awards sightings…

Alexandra Burke was spotted at the Felder Felder show at London Fashion Week. I love her look from head to toe—especially this coral double breasted ruffled jacket. HOT!

On first glance, I thought new Roc Nation artist Rita Ora was Beyoncé. Love how she paired the metallic gold sneakers and then mixed various shades and textures of black with her shiny pants, matte blouse, and wool peacoat.

And finally Keyshia Cole and her adorable son (don’t you want to just run and pinch his cheeks?) were spotted out in West Hollywood. It’s funny—if anyone else would have worn this outfit, it would be a huge Hmm… but somehow this whole ensemble (ok, minus the shoes) works on the singer.

And that rounds it out! Which look is your favorite?

~Danielle

35 Responses to “Weekend Hot! or Hmm…: The 43rd Annual NAACP Image Awards and More!”

1. Jada King says:

Sanaa Lathan looks like she could be related to Phylicia Rashad

2. briyt says:

This commentary though!!! Haha she has me weak reading these pictures commentary!!!

3. Tiara says:

I really like Regina King and Keke Palmers dresses. But the make up on Keke Palmer…. it was a bit too much for her I think. She dont need all of that. her hair was great.

Jill Scott hair & make up was lovely. I actually liked Tia Mowry hair and make up, kinda edgy. Tatjana Ali, and Keisha Knight Pulliam… wow… next time better!

4. Vanessa says:

Omg. They ALL look absolutely beautiful. Black fashion at best, everyone looked very nice!

5. Ari says:

I wonder if anyone knows what kind of blush Tamera Mowry has on..i LOVE it..its seems perfect for S/S

Keisha Knight…no suh. Dress fits her Horribly

7. Crystal says:

The Twins are hot!
    Lenny Kravitz can do not wrong. Sex appeal oozes from every one of his pores. OMG!
    Amber Riley looks amazing from top to bottom.
    Jennifer Hudson looks about 50 years old. WTF did that to her hair any why?

8. Janay says:

Wait Wait Wait…I literally lmao when i saw Tracee and couldn’t stop!!. She looks crazy wth?? omg lol

9. I’m in love with Tia and Nia’s looks. I looooovvveeee the vibrant colors!

10. Nakia says:

Danielle, you are BFF in my head… You say what I’m thinking especially the Varetta child’s. And I think of Toni Childs whenever I hear Romina Kevesa :)

11. Amused says:

Dead at the commentary. And yes, up close Sanna does look a bit like Phylicia Rashard. But Danielle Damn Verita Childs what would Aunt Helen say? I like the concept of Jill’s dress…i think the problem is that it goes from narrow at the bottom to voluptuous up top. It’s like a reverse mermaid dress. She needs more volume at the bottom to balance out her assets.

12. MelyB says:

Regina King’s & India.Aire’s make-up artists must be mad at them. They both look bad.

Tatyana Ali looks gorgeous! I often fantasize about an Eartha Kitt bio-pic and she’d be my top choice.

13. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Tamera looks beautiful as well as her sister!
    Lenny Lenny Lenny, I so love this man. He keeps on getting better and better everytime I see him! Hewww
    Tatyana Ali: Beautiful, love her dress. So elegant
    Garcelle: That whole look is what’s up!
    Keisha: Wow…0_o those spider eyelashes could have been toned
    down.
    Sanaa so looks like Phylicia Rashad…hahahaa
    And what’s with Tracee’s eye??!??! It’s been like that for a minute…

14. jil says:

Heeey Danielle, what’s good girl? Lmao @ the coughfinallysneeze, that’s what I’m talmbout! Aaaand I’m not gonna lie, when I saw Viola Davis, them CHICHIS is sitting! I need some bought and paid for ones in my bra.

Now Jill Scott..look like Spike from Tom&Jerry.

Jennifer Hudson needs to put hers away and throw away the key. Cause them thangs need some tlc. NO ma’am.

Now for best dressed of the evening, I vot for Amber Riley, she looks magnifique. Tres belle.

15. Felicia says:

Danielle you are too much rotfl!!! But I need the deets on Alexandra’s Jacket.

16. sun.kissed says:

Loves Keke, Tia and Sanaa for bringing out the bright colors! They all look great! Tamera looks good too. Taraji has finally gotten it right, I was worried about her for a moment. I can’t with Uncle Lenny and those tight pants. Alexandra looks cute.

17. Jada King says:

Eventhough this is typical Taraji hair it always looks great, what products does she use cause I know she’s natural and my natural never looks this glossy

18. Danielle says:

Haha! Thanks, everyone! @amused ha! I forGOT about Aunt Helen. How could I? lol

@ari not sure of the exact products, but a coral blush like Illamasqua Excite with a highlighter on top like Urban Decay Baked Bronzer in Gilded can get you that look.

@Nakia ha! thanks :)

@Jill lol @ bought and paid for ones

@Felicia lol–will see what I can find :)

19. Lauren says:

Yes, Sanaa! Yes!

20. Ninjo says:

Sanaa is not playing y’all! She came out!
    Kiki Palmer was perfection… make up and all.
    Tia’s dress with Tamara’s make-up would have been perfection. Agree… the shoes get an F.
    Amber RIley never looked better.
    Tatiana Ali’s dress is just scary… just a sizzling mess.

21. JR says:

Taraji will always be my girl!! She does no wrong. Meghan Good and J Hud slayed also.

22. Jay says:

Too many no’s in this post to name. So I won’t. Very disappointing. Love the kiddies though!

Good job Danielle.

23. Jay says:

Oh, I pray Viola Davis doesn’t show up on the Academy Awards red carpet looking this bad. I wonder why she wears wigs on the red carpet yet rocks a short natural at other times.

24. B. says:

Sanaa Lathan is a clear winner for me :) Close runners up are Keke Palmer and Jill Scott. Love all three!

25. binks says:

Lol love the commentary Danielle, honestly some hits and misses I don’t have a clear winner because nobody made my jaw drop but loving the color on our sistahs

26. krystel says:

Beautiful Black Peolpe…..but Tia is doing it for me. Best she’s looked in a long time. Absolutely Flawless!!!

27. Mona L says:

I miss Keyshia soo much she needs to come back to us!

28. Indigo says:

They make me wanna get dressed up…

29. Basel says:

Love them all!
    Meagan Good and Zendaya Coleman look great in AIISHA by Aiisha Ramadan Couture!

30. Joanne_ says:

people were out and about this past weekend! lol salim and mara will forever have my heart because they both created one of my fave shows of all time…<3
    i DO NOT condone Joan's dress at all, i'll give her this one pass and act like i never saw her in it…..hmmmm
    Meagan looks great, she resembles a porcelain doll here, those brows though….look…..shapely…
    i must say i was not a fan of Viola's dress but hey, she worked hard for the body so i guess she's trying to show us that, i just hope she gives up less boobs for the Oscar's
    Keyshia looks so relaxed, I love it
    Tia's makeup is my fave for the week! Hot!
    Michelle looks cute here, i really like her dress.
    now that's all i can remember chile…lol

31. Clarissa says:

Ok, my favorite of them all is Tamera because she looked so natural yet stunning for the occasion. I love Keisha’s fitt but the shoes arent a good combo. I actually would like to know where I could find a pair similar to those shoes though. They are very nice!

32. Diva says:

India Sorry…handbag…. clutching my pearls in digust
    Meagan…those eyebrows are NOT the business !
    I love Keisha’s eyelashes, Sanaa & Viola are tangerine dreams !!!

33. sharja says:

My friend does Tatyana Ali hair and did it for that night…So proud of my friend… Ms Leah use to do my hair now she does hair to the stars….Im right behind her soon…I was so shocked when she said she was moving to LA and leaving everything…she showed me that I can do the same….and Im soon right behind her…never know what doors will open for you till you step out on faith ! !

34. Yoli says:

Is it me or does it look like Keisha Knight Pulliam is preggars? Looks like a baby bump to me.

35. FATIMA says:

SANAA LATHAN LOOKS AMAZIN AND KEISHA LOOKS AWFUL.