February 9th, 2012
Celebrity Style, On the Scene
On the Scene: The AmfAR New York Gala at Cipriani Wall Street
By Faith

20120209-130406.jpg

New York Fashion Week is underway and to kick it off celebrities gathered at Cipriani Wall Street to celebrate the amfAR New York Gala. Take a look at some of the bold looks from the evening.

Janelle Monae

Jennifer Hudson and Roberto Cavalli

Jessica White

Joan Smalls

Miss Universe Leila Lopes

Liya Kebede

Padma Lakshmi

Rachel Roy

Theophilus London

My votes for best dressed of the night definitely go to Janelle Monae and Joan Smalls. Janelle stuck to her classic black and white palette, but gave her hair a little change, added a dose of sexy with a plunging v neckline and chose a palazzo pant silhouette instead of her normal straight leg trousers. Joan’s look was dark but absolutely gorgeous and I loved her plum raisin lip: not easy to pull off, but a great statement when done properly.

Who were your favorites?

33 Responses to “On the Scene: The AmfAR New York Gala at Cipriani Wall Street”

1. Chels says:

Janelle Monae looks amazing!! her skin looks great

2. Jada King says:

Jessica White has a pretty face but y does she always look like this.

3. Dobe says:

Janelle is so cute! Glad to see she’s making some changes… baby steps, lol. I love Jessica’s look, although she could’ve done without the headpiece/turban. She still looks good, though.

4. Caribbelle says:

Janelle looks cute, Joan looks lovely but could have forgone the vampy lip; its to much with the black.

Rachel Roy’s shoes throw off her outfits.

5. Erica B. says:

Love Rachel Roy’s ensemble!

6. Marthe says:

The first time I like Rachel Roy’s outfit. I don’t know Theophilus London but his style is really great! I’m going to google him right NOW!

7. Bella says:

almost everyone looks great. not feeling Janelle’s outfit and Leila’s hair and dress at ALL. no ma’am.

8. Mona L says:

Im saying NO to everyone!

9. MIssRich says:

loved their looks, my girl Jessica White tho, smh I just dont get, she’s really trying lately/ and trying hard!

10. Fashionbum82 says:

Why does Rachel Roy have to throw a blazer over everything?! i wanna see her dress!

11. Dear J. Hud,
    Please fire your stylist. You are giving me drag queen vibes and I want to like this new you..so not fierce ;(

Xoxo,
    AM

12. Nae says:

I thought I was the only one who wondered why Rachel Roy has to wear a blazer over EVERYTHING!! Lol

13. Marthe < he is great, and he has great music and style! I think you'll like him. If you have a tumblr look on there as well!

I think Jessica could have left the gold turban at home though. Rachel is winning in that outfit. I dont think Liya Kebede can really do wrong its simple but i still love it.

14. Marsha D says:

Finally Rachel Roy got it right!

15. ladyshawann says:

Janelle, I like it although this is nothing new from her & Miss U. Thats a good shade of red and the draping is lovely.

16. Tee says:

Jessica white looks a mess!!!! Hated it!

17. Dom says:

Rachel Roy looked like she might have had something going under that blazer…then I saw the shoes and FAIL.

Joan Smalls looked nice. Miss Universe is so beautiful. She clearly needs help in the style dept though. I hope gets it together, she’s too pretty for this bs!

18. J_Key says:

I need every last one of them to go back to the drawing board and try again :(

19. Vanessa says:

Monae looks SO FRIKKIN PRETTY. I absolutely love how she constantly reinvents black and white. She definitely stands out everytime and in everyway.

20. Tiara says:

I like the responses. Cause I thought i was the only one in the world who dislikes Jessica Whites fashion. Everytime I see her i just have to raise my eyebrows. And for Rachel Roy, the lovely lady who usually looks almost worse than Jessica White… but this time…. wow Shine RRoy!!!

21. Asha says:

Janelle Monae for the WINNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

22. whatevs says:

Janelle and Joan look gorgeous…

23. Joan looks like everything supermodel. So fab.

J-Hud.. just. no.

24. whatevs says:

Janella has the most beautiful skin…Joan looks great…

25. Tricia says:

JOAN SMALLS AND LIYA KEBEDE!!!

26. Diggs says:

Janelle and Rachel are the only two I’m feeling. Everyone else is pretty…

27. Liz says:

FINALLY janelle wears something feminine!!!!!!! no no no to Ms. White however. and Liya kebede needs a sandwich or two thrown at her. my gosh

28. Tiffany says:

Love that Janelle is showing some cleavage. Beautiful girl with an amzing dress. Everyone else…eh

29. sun.kissed says:

Janelle has on a jumpsuit! Praise Jehovah! I like Jessica’s look even with the turban. Mr. London needs to cut it out with those cut up skinny jeans. No sir.

30. Samantha says:

Liya Kebede looks like she was forced to be there, not feeling her look at all. Oh Janelle Monae I’ve been waiting for this day, thank you to whoever talked her into this outfit. She’s tiptoeing outside of that style box she put herself in

31. Shelly says:

Does Miss Universe have on a PONYTAIL??? Omg…lol. She needs a stylist asap, smh.

32. Shelly says:

Everyone else is blah, except for (surprisingly) Janelle Monet! I wish she would have posed with her legs closed, but she looks absolutely gorgeous! And I co-sign with the person that said baby steps, lol. It seems like she is trying to switch it up a little bit.

33. Liah says:

Is that the best Liya Kebede could do? She never does her beauty any justice on the red carpet with her outfit choices.