February 7th, 2012
Christian Louboutin, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Christian Louboutin is celebrating 20 years in the luxury shoe game with–what else? More shoes!

The designer is releasing a capsule collection of 20 shoes and six bags in honor of the event, all of which you can preview on the brand’s Facebook page. Like what you see? ‘Like’ it to be one of the first to shop the collection. (Telegraph, Christian Louboutin Facebook)

Holland’s Next Top Model winner Ananda Marchildon is suing Elite Model Management for withholding her prize money after the agency allegedly told her she was too fat to get any runway work. Her three year contract was cut short after only two years when she could not get her hips down to the required 90cm (Marchildon’s hips measure 92cm). According to her, she was told by one of Elite’s lawyers that “although she has a nice face, she has a fat arse,” and “She never had it in her to become a top model because she was unsuitable for catwalk work.” Welp. (UK Guardian)

• PETA is gearing up for fashion week, sending out a slew of ads scolding the fashion industry for its use of animal products. Stella McCartney is the latest to show her support, appearing in a short film for the organization. She pleads, “Please join me in exploring the huge variety of fashionable shoes, belts, purses, and wallets that aren’t the product of a cow’s violent death.” Last week, a PETA ad featuring Penelope Cruz conveniently popped up in the Garment District. The poster reads “Give fur the cold shoulder,” which is exactly what would happen were I to take off this vintage fur stole keeping me warm. (Huff Post)

• In honor of London Fashion Week (which starts next week), Topshop is celebrating their ten-year affiliation with the British Fashion Council’s NEWGEN designer program. The two have rounded up some of NEWGEN’S most noted alums (Christopher Kane, Mary Katrantzou, Erdem, Meahdam Kirchhoff) to each design a t-shirt as part of a capsule collection for the reatiler. Look out for the tees in Topshop stores and online next week! (Vogue UK)

Karl Lagerfeld guest edits today’s issue of Metro International newspaper. Pick it up for his editorial insights, headlines, illustrations, and candid witticisms.

• Yves Saint Laurent Resort 2012 campaign film shows you how wonderful it is to be a rich woman vacationing in Cannes, and that is is never too warm to wear a red trench. (Hint)

~Jihan

13 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Christian Louboutin’s 20th Anniversary Capsule Collection, PETA Beefs Up Ad Campaigns for Fashion Week, and Topshop’s NEWGEN Capsule Collection”

1. Marsha D says:

Karl Lagerfeld looks half dead…like he’s pulling a “weekend at Bernie’s” on us :-/

2. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

PETA= People for the Eating of Tasty Animals! Like, what else am I supposed to do with a chinchilla or a mink? You know how rodents breed, I’m just doing my part to keep the population under control…

3. Marthe says:

I try to wear the least of animal-killing clothes/shoes, I just have one or two pair of leather shoes (in a closet of 30 pair!) which are both gifts. I don’t understand why people should wear real fur (i’m not saying anything about the people living in icecold-temperatures like north Russia) if fake fur can be made so well the latest years that it looks real. No offense on your vintage stole, Jihan. Buying real fur these ‘modern times’ now is just WRONG.

4. Hold the hell up? CM’s do they have any idea what a difference that doesn’t make. She needs to sue them for that. If she won the contest then she needs to get her money period!

I can’t deal with Peta…they are pretty tacky and violent to me.

5. Mel says:

Those Louboutins are crazy, what a pair of showstoppers:)

6. sun.kissed says:

LOL @stickynsweet. Top Model needs to quit playing and pay up! I wonder what Tyra has to say about this mess…

7. Melinda KE says:

I agree with Marthe. Peta tends to go overboard, but there is no reason to drape yourself in a dead animal unless you live in Alaska or you’re a cave woman.

8. lanenabuena says:

I agree that PETA goes overboard however I do believe that in this day and age it is unnecessary to kill animals just to wear their skin and fur. I really think that if some of the people who wear fur stopped and watch a video of how these animals are slaughtered for their skin and fur they would re-think it. I love me some fashion but I really think that we can look so fly in faux materials.

9. Jazzy says:

PETA goes overboard and people need to educate themselves on both sides of the story. Do you know how synthetic fibers are made? Have you every been in a chemical factory? Do you know what effect the emissions and waste from those plants has on people and the environment? Why do you think we see an increase in cancer, allergies, etc. I am tired of people fight more for animal rights then the rights of human beings. Animals were originally meant to be used for food and clothing and just because there is a different why to make clothes doesn’t mean it is a better way.

10. lanenabuena says:

@Jazzy I assume that you haven’t educated yourself before you placed this comment, I am perfectly aware of the harmful effects on the chemicals used for synthetic fibers however are you aware of the disease ridden animals that you eat. I don’t think there is anything wrong with eating meat however I have been involved in undercover investigations for the treatment in slaughter house and factory farms where 98% of our meat at local grocery stores comes from and if you were to see what the “FDA” deems eatable then you would truly be disgusted. I have seen cows that were sent to slaughter for human consumption that have large open soars with green puss and rotting around there eyes, pigs that have became so ill and sick that they cannot even walk off the slaughter truck and are dragged by a rope. Not to mention what the FDA allows these animals to be injected with (everything from hormones to steroids and more) There have been direct linkage between the high amount of cancer and the meat that we consume. Not to mention the horrible effect that consuming meat dose to the environment, since you’re so concerned here are some facts you may like to read. I am not against anyone eating meat however I think that as a society we have became so over indulgent that this need to reproduce animals for consumption at such a rapid rate is appalling. So Jazzy before you say that it’s so bad for the environment to wear synthetic fur maybe you should take a look what’s on your plate 1st and see which is worse.
    For Your Health
    Some of the leading killers in America today, including heart disease, cancer, obesity, and strokes, are directly linked to meat-based diets. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in America today, and it can often be caused by the build-up of cholesterol and saturated fat from animal products in our arteries.
    The only two doctors in human history who have successfully reversed heart disease have included an exclusively vegetarian diet as a part of their programs. The average vegan cholesterol level is 133 (compared to 210 for meat-eaters); there are no documented cases of heart attacks in individuals with cholesterol under 150. Other health problems tied to clogged arteries, like poor circulation and atherosclerotic strokes, can be virtually eliminated with a vegan diet.
    Vegans are approximately one-ninth as likely to be obese as meat-eaters and have a cancer rate that is only 40 percent that of meat-eaters. People who consume animal products are also at increased risk for many other illnesses, including strokes, obesity, osteoporosis, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, multiple allergies, diabetes, and food poisoning. Learn more about the health benefits of a vegetarian diet.
    For the Environment
    America’s meat addiction is poisoning and depleting our potable water, arable land, and clean air. More than half of the water used in the United States today goes to animal agriculture, and since farmed animals produce 130 times more excrement than the human population, the run-off from their waste is fouling our waterways. Animal excrement emits gases, such as hydrogen sulfide and ammonia, that poison the air around farms, as well as methane and nitrous oxide, which are major contributors to global warming.
    Forests are being bulldozed to make more room for factory farms and feed crops to feed farmed animals, and this destruction causes soil erosion and contributes to species extinction and habitat loss. Raising animals for food also requires massive amounts of food and raw materials: Farmed animals consume 70 percent of the corn, wheat, and other grains that we grow, and one-third of all the raw materials and fossil fuels used in the U.S. go to raising animals for food. In short, our country’s meat addiction is wrecking the earth. Read more about factory farming and the environment.

11. Jazzy says:

@lanenabuena you should never assume anything. You know the saying if you assume you will make an ….. out of yourself

I am a chemical engineer and I am very well educated on all types of food processing. I know about farming for human and animal feed as well. I have taken hands on courses about crops and soil erosion.I have worked in the poultry industry. I have been on a turkey farm, a chicken farm, a diary farm, a soybean field, a corn field, in a poultry processing plant, in a plant that makes soups and yogurt, etc. I also have friends that work in food industry, cosmetics, etc.

Human beings account for more destruction of forests and causes of soil erosion than farms and feed crops. Our need for energy, bigger houses, transportation infrastructure, excess in general is wrecking the earth more then anyone’s addiction to meat. Have you really looked at the break down of were gases that contribute to global warming come from? The numbers for farms are significantly lower than what the chemical industry produces or the damage we are doing with just our waste we send to landfills. So 1/3 of our resources are going to food period not just for raising animals for food. And you have a problem with that when we still have to import food to feed the population and we spend more energy and resources on excesses we don’t need like multiple cars. And you say I am the one that needs to educate myself????

12. Jazzy says:

@lanenabuena as far as health is concerned its called everything in moderation

13. lanenabuena says:

I never said it was the #1 cause of global warming, human beings as a race are exactly what are killing this earth however like I stated above the meat industry is the cause of excrement emits gases, such as hydrogen sulfide and ammonia, that poison the air around farms, as well as methane and nitrous oxide, which are major contributors to global warming. Also we use 70 percent of the corn, wheat, and other grains that we grow to feed farmed food animals alone, think about how many hungry people we could feed with this food if it wasn’t given to animals for us to eat, it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat, and even fish on fish farms must be fed up to 5 pounds of wild-caught fish to produce 1 pound of farmed fish flesh, and one-third of all the raw materials and fossil fuels used in the U.S. go to raising animals for food. Now back to the topic at hand I just found it very offence to hear you say that in retrospect its better on the planet to wear real dead animals then faux furs, If you, which you sound like an intelligent lady have seen the videos of what takes place on factory fur farms (which 90% off all animal hid and furs come from even designers such as Gucci and Prada, it can said Italian leather if it was put together in this country it doesn’t mean that the animal hides and furs weren’t purchased from another region/country) It is really so sad and repulsive to see what takes place not to mention that our economy is suffering so bad in the United States and we are still funding billions of dollars to china for this barbaric product makes me sad. I don’t know you Jazzy and I don’t hate or dislike anyone because of the life style they make by eating meat or wearing fur but I just want people to be aware of the horrific conditions that these animals go thru for us to wear and I hope that as a human race we can stand up and stop this from happening in the future. I have said more than enough on this topic and I don’t knock anything you said about the environment you sound like a very intelligent women and I hope that you can see my point of view as well when it comes to the suffering of these animals. Enjoy your weekend.