February 2nd, 2012
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• British rapper Tinie Tempah is GQ UK’s best dressed man for 2012.

We can agree with them on that, but we also like him without his shirt. (BBC)

Rocawear hasn’t been doing so well these days. They laid off half their staff in January after losing about $200 million in sales during 2011. Part of the reason? Their men’s collection isn’t doing so well, since the tastes of their target market are changing (thank you, Obamas!) Still the brand presses on, making plans to branch out into children’s wear, and enlisting its wildly popular CEO, Jay-Z, to front its very first television campaign. (WWD)

Not Xuedan Wang

• Xuedan Wang, former intern at Harper’s Bazaar magazine, is filing a lawsuit against Hearst for unpaid wages. Wang claims she was made to work 40+ hours a week without pay for a year, laboring as a full time employee in their fashion closet for absolutely nothing. Unpaid internships are often touted as the way to get your foot into fashion, and the industry itself wouldn’t work were it not for eager young people willing to sacrifice current wages for the promise of a future position. This sort of relationship yields itself to abuse. I feel for her, but I wonder what kept her from leaving during those weeks when she was working 55 hours for nothing? (Styleite)

Solange Knowles will document what she’s wearing everyday this week for Vogue UK‘s “Today I’m Wearing” feature. Each outfit will be flawless. (Vogue UK)

• Psychologist Tara Raines has started the “What’s Your Nude?” movement, urging women of all shades to pressure bra and underwear companies to expand their “nude” offerings. Raines says, “Women of color have tremendous spending power in the U.S. and it’s absurd to think that in 2012 we are essentially disenfranchised when they shop for lingerie. It’s my hope that this campaign will drive not only awareness, but swift action by bra makers.” I’m sure she won’t find many people who disagree! You can show your support by contacting your favorite lingerie company (Victoria’s Secret is a good place to start), and following the movement on Facebook. (Fashionista)

• Check out Prada‘s rather Spring-like 2012 campaign video. Watch models Natasha Poly, Kathryn Kruger, Elise Crombez, Meghan Collison, and Ymre Stiekema sharpen their cheekbones in car mirrors, casting all kinds of supercilious glances to strange music in a rather visually pleasing fashion flick. (Prada Youtube)

• If you were planning on copping a pair Nicholas Kirkwoods and want to make that purchase extra special, head over to Saks Fifth Avenue Thursday, February 9th from 6-7:30pm to meet the designer, get your shoes signed, and receive a complimentary sketch. We’ll be there!

~ Jihan

9 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Tinie Tempah Named GQ’s Best Dressed Man, Solange To Document Her Outfits for Vogue UK, and Meet Shoe Designer Nicholas Kirkwood at Saks!”

1. Ms.Corporate says:

Tinie Tempah….this is why I love chocolate.

2. That man looks good! I wish these Shoe Designers would make their way to DC! I met Christian Louboutin and he was so sweet in person.

3. Dom says:

The nude movement has my support! I’ve been searching for undergarments that actually match my skin tone forever!

4. IF TIMES ARE CHANGING YOU HAVE TO CHANGE WITH THE TIMES & ROCAWEAR NEED TO DO THAT TO SURVIVE MOST OF THEIR APPAREL HAS “ROCAWEAR” OR THE LOGO WRITTEN ALL OVER THE PLACE THEY NEED TO START WITH THAT FIRST SAME WITH DEREON, LOL
    & HOW HORRIBLE IS THAT OF HARPERS BAZAAR ONE OF MY FAVE MAG ANOTHER CASE OF A BIG COMPANY TRYING TO GET OVER ON THE LITTLE ONES
    & TINIE TEMPAH…CALL ME!!! HE-HE

5. Vanessa says:

I so support the what is nude campaign! && that British man…hmmm…yeah….he can get it! :-) so fresh..

6. ICe says:

I feel for the former intern for Harper Bazaar magazine because I was an intern for over a year at a popular record label and they do make you work extremely long hours with no pay…They tell you that at the end of your internship you may be able to get a stipend. However, I can also understand why eager interns put up with it for so long. Mainly because for the love and passion of the business and amazing ppl you meet along the way but the amount of work and long hours suck…

7. Bonifant says:

that prada ad is bland i dont care how many supermodels are in it.

8. bougiehippie says:

I thought I was the only person who adore Tinie’s style!

9. Crystal says:

I’m all for the ‘what’s your nude’ campaign. I don’t really have a hard time finding my nude though, it’s just not called ‘nude’. It’s either dark taupe, tan, coffee, soft caramel or something to that effect. ha! It used to bother me that so many companies label that pasty beige color ‘nude’ but i’m over it now.