January 27th, 2012
Fashion News, Nicki Minaj
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Nicki Minaj and house music king David Guetta are set to release their music video for “Turn Me On” this Tuesday, but for now, the two give us a little amuse bouche of sorts with this sneak peek.

In the clip, Minaj brandishes a hatchet, and Guetta sports some strange head contraption. Either way, it’s an interesting 48 seconds. (Global Grind)

• CFDA president Diane Von Furstenberg is urging her fellow designers to make sure the models walking in their shows this upcoming fashion week are at least 16 years old. The designer said, “Any model walking in the Diane Von Furstenberg runway will have shown i.d. prior to the show,” and encourages other designers to take the same precautions. While I agree that Ms. Von Furstenberg’s proposal is a step in the right direction, it’s still a little problematic that teenagers are being used to shill clothes to grown women. I guess that’s just the nature of the beast? (ELLE UK)

• Here is a first look at the campaign for the much-anticipated Marni for H&M collaboration. I think I just got more excited (The Fashion Spot)

• We were all swooning over Jean Paul Gaultier‘s ode to Amy Winehouse for his spring 2012 haute couture show, but not everyone was feeling it. Mitch Winehouse, father of the late singer, took to Twitter to voice his disdain for the collection: “We don’t support the Jean Paul Gaultier collection. It’s in bad taste. Mitch.” The still-mourning father told the Sun “We’re still grieving for her loss, and we’ve had a difficult week with the six-month anniversary of Amy’s death. To see her image lifted wholesale to sell clothes was a wrench we were not expecting, or consulted on.” Fair enough, Mr. Winehouse. (WWD)

• You should be reading Roberto Cavalli‘s blog. He’s no Kanye West, but I can assure you, in his writing you will find a treasure trove of gems. Consider his observations about the Paris couture shows: “Too bad the music was not more engaging. I really wanted to dance, even if it would not have been so easy in such a crowd!” Roberto, I would have totally danced with you. Wanna bring me to some couture shows this summer? (Roberto Cavalli blog)

• Celebrities and fashion glitterati stepped out to the 10th annual Sidaction Gala to benefit AIDS research last night in Paris. Amongst the guests was the inimitable Grace Jones, fresh and fabulous from her recent performance at the Etam runway show. I would ask if her outfit is Hot! or Hmm…, but since it’s Grace, her look is an automatic haute in my book! (WWD)

Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders are the faces for Alexis Bittar‘s newest campaign. Since I can never get enough of the Absolutely Fabulous duo, check out this behind the scenes look at the shoot. Please note the hilarious background music as well: “FASHION. JAZZERCISE. LIP GLOSS.” I die. (Vogue UK)

~Jihan

7 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Nicki Minaj and David Guetta’s ‘Turn Me On’ Teaser Video, Mitch Winehouse Is Not A Fan of Gaultier’s Couture Show, and Grace Jones at The 10th Annual Sidaction Gala”

1. Nicole says:

Caught Diane Von Furtsenberg on Project Runway All Stars last night….that lady still got it!..She looked Fab!

2. Crystal says:

JPG should’ve let the family know about the collection but I sure didn’t take it as they were using her name to sell clothes. JPG does not need to use anything to sell clothes! The collection is quite moving to me. But I would never claim to understand a grieving parent so I respect his feelings.

It’s on my bucket list to meet Grace Jones. She can do no wrong!

3. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

I wouldn’t want my recently deceased child’s face, image, and music all over the place 6 months later, either. On that note, I have to go hug my baby.

4. andie says:

He should’ve asked, but I don’t think I would’ve been angry. I think it was meant to honor her not just use her image to sell clothes.

5. leslie says:

Grace Jones rocks…as always

6. B. says:

I know it seems cynical, but I am a little suspicious about Mitch Winehouse’s motives, considering the amount of money he made by giving interviews to the press when Amy was desperately ill with her addictions. His actions in the past make me question whether or not he is genuinely bruised by seeing this interpretation of her image or if he is more bruised by not getting a share of the profits? Hmm…

7. tt says:

off topic, but people need to stop classifying david guetta as “HOUSE MUSIC.” no ma’am & the “KING” of house music at that!!! david guetta maybe the king of european techno music, but that mess ain’t house music. chicago old school pioneers will forever be the originators of house along w/nyc & now you have a lot of south african djs doing it big in house music. keep dg in his lane & that’s euro techno-pop! now i’ve digressed. carry on.