• Rihanna might not be using a stylist to dress her for runs to the grocery store anymore, but that doesn’t mean she’s done with fashion completely. The singer is teaming up with British television network Sky Living for a new fashion reality show searching for the next big undiscovered designer in the UK.
Alongside Girls Aloud singer Nicola Roberts, Riri will oversee various challenges tasking the designers with creating outfits for her famous friends. Finalists will have the chance to design a costume for her Wireless performance in Hyde Park come July, and Rihanna will rock the winning design. Despite the rather paltry prize, the goal of the show is to give little-known designers the exposure they need to kickstart their careers. So, it’s like Project Runway for rookies. Think you’ll be watching? (Sky Living)
• Are you confused about those weird J.C. Penney commercials where the people scream “Nooo!” at all the sales? Allow me to clear things up: it turns out the retailer is taking a new approach to its markdowns. Instead of having several arbitrarily-discounted sales throughout the year, they’re biting the bullet and slashing prices at least 40% or more, so there is no excuse for shoppers to wait for sales to get a good deal. So that means at JC Penney, the new regular price for a $20 blouse would be $10. It will be interesting to see if this approach actually increases revenue for the company. In these tough economic times, consumers are more inclined to wait for sales in order to save money on the items they want and need. But if those items are perpetually on sale, it could encourage more spending. We’ll see what happens! (The Cut)
• Kan’t get enough of the Kardashians? The sisters have continued their quest for worldwide saturation with a jeans like available at Sears and Sears.com. Each style, retailing at $68 each, will be named after a sister–The Slim Fit Low Rise Skinny Leg is called the Kourtney, the Sexy Curvy Low Rise Straight Leg is the Kim, and the Tall Curvy High Rise Boot Cut is the Khloe. Sigh. Will you buy?
• ELLE France has removed that awful article praising blacks for finally dressing like good white folk, instead of stumbling about in baggy jeans and throwback jerseys. As with all racist articles poorly masquerading as works of praise, ELLE’s editor says the article was “misinterpreted.” Hmm, where have we heard that excuse before? (The Cut)
• Vera Wang is 62 years old and looks better in a swimsuit than most women a third her age. Here she is, posing for this month’s Harper’s Bazaar in a swimsuit bottom and corset, and pointy toed black pumps. You go, Miss Vera! (Daily Mail)
• Peep this preview sketch Tracy Reese leaked of a look from her upcoming Fall/Winter 2012 show. It’s a little Mary J.-esque, no?
5 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Rihanna to Host New Fashion Reality Show, ELLE France Removes ‘Black Fashion Power’ Article, and A First Look at Tracy Reese Fall 2012”
Leave a Reply
Fashion Bomb TV
Popular Posts This Week
Cheap shopping online for more fashion and beauty products