January 24th, 2012
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Christian Louboutin sat down with the folks at Bergdorf Goodman‘s 5th/58th blog, answering five questions, including “Which trend do you want to see go out of style?”

In true from, Louboutin answered, “Clogs,” (wait, clogs are a trend?) because he “love[s] shoes,” (but hates comfortable ones). He continues, “Hearing the sound of a clog, it’s really not nice, not pretty, it’s an ugly sound, and it makes not only an ugly look, but the way people are walking, only in the desert, should you be like, those camel-types of walk.” (5th/58th)

• If you’re sick of Kim Kardashian, so are folks in the UK. The reality star’s membership-based shoe website, Shoedazzle, is shutting down operations across the pond after expanding to the British Isles only last September. UK members received an email from the site saying their subscriptions would be terminated at the end of the month, and several pairs of shoes are on sale at deeply discounted prices. Some are hailing this event as a sign of the Kardashians’s waning sphere of influence, but I just think British customers are less inclined to buy low-quality shoes from an overexposed American Princess. (The Cut)

Céline fans will be deprived of a Fall 2012 runway show this year, as their creative director, the widely admired Phoebe Philo, is pregnant with her third child! Nobody wants to stress out a pregnant lady, so instead, the brand is opting for a scaled down production on March 4th. Congratulations to Ms. Philo on her pregnancy! (WWD)

Gilt Groupe might be worth $1 billion, but even their massive value couldn’t stop the mass layoff of 10% of their staff (80-90 persons), and shut down Gilt City offices in Houston, Atlanta, San Diego, Dallas, Seattle, and Philadelphia. The company, however, is said to be planning on hiring more people than were let go. So for those of you looking for a job, Gilt might be a good place to start! Or not… (Styleite)

Banana Republic is the next mass retailer to team up with a designer, this time with Trina Turk for a 60-piece collection of playful, girly springtime frocks in bright colors and print. The prices will be reasonable as expected, ranging from $49.50 to $150. Expect the capsule to be out in June. (WWD)

~Jihan

14 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: 5 Questions for Christian Louboutin, Gilt Groupe Lays off 10% of Its Staff, and UK Shoppers Aren’t Fans of Kim Kardashian’s Shoes”

1. Shalanda says:

Shoedazzle is owned by Kim K.?! Had no idea! Anyways, I’m excited about the collaboration between BR and Turk. High/low collaborations never disappoint.

2. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

I like that Banana Republic outfit, that’s my style!

3. llehsal says:

Seems like all their deals are slowly falling apart.

4. Tawanda C says:

Am I the only one LOVIN’ Solo in the first pic?! Love that chick!

5. Dee says:

I still don’t get the idea of paying a $39.99 monthly membership fee to receive a pair of cheap shoes. You can find those same shoes in my area at shoe stores like Shoeland/Traffic from $10 – $20. Heck even at Bakers,Charlotte Russe and Rue 21. SMH!

6. like_really_ray says:

Shoedazzle shoes are the absolute worst! They’re poor constructed, very ill fitting and very painful. Now mind you I have been walking in heels since I was 15, I work 8 hour shifts in heels and all of my heels are 4 inches and even I hate Kim’s shoes. You guys remember the Barbie doll shoes & how Barbie’s foot was made with this dramatic arch? Well, that’s exactly how you have to hold your foot just to wear these shoes. They feel as if they’re made out of cardboard.

7. sun.kissed says:

That Christian Louboutin vido was absolutely boring…of course people in the UK don’t want shoe dazzle shoes! BR/Tina Turk sounds cute!

8. iQgraphics says:

They are horribly cheap shoes. You can find better styles at Payless and if you want leather, you can find great name brand ones at Marshalls.
    Then there’s Aldo, Nine West… etc
    yeah, tired of kim k and all of those membership clubs, justfab … there are so many of them now

9. J_Key says:

Shoe Dazzle is owned by Robert Shapiro and Kim is just a spokesperson for the company

10. Crystal says:

I hate clogs too. LOL. I thought Shoe Dazzle was a joke when I first heard of it. I won’t knock Kim’s hustle though. You can say what you want about her but she’s making something out of a bunch of nothing.

11. shoe dazzle? girl bye with that.

12. Brandi says:

apparently the kardashians are losing momentum in the states, too.

13. MEME says:

Kim doesn’t own Shoedazzle, she is just a spokesperson, either way, that company is a scam to me, I can go to my local shoe store and get some Michael Antonio’s for less than what their selling, and I don’t even like Michael Antonios LOL.

14. MEME says:

I like Mr. Louboutin, I’ve never met him, hopefully will one day, but a couple of friends of mine work for and with him professionally, and I always hear that he is so pleasant to be around. Obviously the success of his brand hasn’t gone to his head, and best believe there are designers with huge ego’s. I like that he gives such personal interviews, because we see the man behind the shoes, and he is clearly passionate about his craft.