• Unless you’ve just returned from an expedition in Antartica, and this website is the first one you’ve read in months (in which case, awesome!), you already know that our beloved diva Beyoncé Knowles gave birth to a baby girl named Blue Ivy by C-section at Lenox Hill Hospital. There has already been much speculation regarding the meaning of the name: Ivy has the Roman numerals for 4 (IV), a number which holds great significance for the couple. Some are guessing that “Blue” is a nod to her father, Jay-Z‘s, Blueprint albums, but I think the name is an homage to Ms. Knowles’ country roots. Now, the wait to see who the child looks like… (NYPost)
• The New York Times Sunday Styles section published a very interesting piece on Nicki Minaj‘s growing influence in fashion. While her wacky Harajuki Barbie looks are often met with much vitriol here, it is clear she is indeed a fashion icon and a source of inspiration and fascination to several people in the fashion industry, including W magazine Editor-in-Chief Stefano Tonchi, who used the rapper as the cover girl for the magazine’s November issue. Though W magazine was a huge honor for the emcee, her manager Cortez Bryant has his eye on a Vogue cover (!), for which he is reportedly “in talks”; “That’s on my wish list,” he says. “I hope. I hope.” I hope, too! It would be nice to see more women of color covering the Fashion Bible! (NYT)
• Anna Wintour, 69th most powerful woman in the world, is spearheading fashion’s attempt to re-elect the most powerful man in the world, Barack Obama. Vogue magazine and 22 designers including Marc Jacobs, Tracy Reece, Rachel Roy, and Alexander Wang have come together under Runway to Win, a charity to raise money for the Obama Victory Fund. Starting Thursday, January 12, you can log on to Runwaytowin.com, and choose from a selection of t-shirts, wristlets, scarves, and tote bags by your favorite designers for purchase, with all proceeds going to the President’s re-elesction campaign. Think you’ll support? (WWD)
• Willow Smith follows in the footsteps of Nicki Minaj, donning a blonde faux-hawk wig complete with a pompador of light pink curls the emcee reportedly gifted her, to go shopping at Louis Vuitton. No word yet on what an 11-year-old might need in a luxury leather goods and clothing store. (Styleite)
• Amina Warsuma talks about her life in Paris in the 1970s as a black model in an hour long interview titled, A Black Model in Paris. She discusses her triumphs, struggles, spending all her money on clothes in Paris (hitting a little too close to home on this end,) and gives advice on how to break into fashion as a person of color.
If you can’t see the video above, watch it here!
• WWD reports that Marc Jacobs has collaborated with polka-dot obsessed Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama on a selection of leather goods, shoes, accessories, and ready-to-wear, set to release in Louis Vuitton stores this July. But you don’t have to wait ’til then to see the pieces– Jacobs will debut the designs in Paris this March during the Louis Vuitton fashion show. I can’t wait to see what these two have produced! (WWD)
18 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Beyoncé Gives Birth, Nicki Minaj Eyes Vogue Cover, and Amina Warsuma’s A Black Model in Paris Documentary”
Leave a Reply
Fashion Bomb TV
Popular Posts This Week
Cheap shopping online for more fashion and beauty products