January 9th, 2012
Beyonce, Fashion News, Nicki Minaj
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Unless you’ve just returned from an expedition in Antartica, and this website is the first one you’ve read in months (in which case, awesome!), you already know that our beloved diva Beyoncé Knowles gave birth to a baby girl named Blue Ivy by C-section at Lenox Hill Hospital. There has already been much speculation regarding the meaning of the name: Ivy has the Roman numerals for 4 (IV), a number which holds great significance for the couple. Some are guessing that “Blue” is a nod to her father, Jay-Z‘s, Blueprint albums, but I think the name is an homage to Ms. Knowles’ country roots. Now, the wait to see who the child looks like… (NYPost)

• The New York Times Sunday Styles section published a very interesting piece on Nicki Minaj‘s growing influence in fashion. While her wacky Harajuki Barbie looks are often met with much vitriol here, it is clear she is indeed a fashion icon and a source of inspiration and fascination to several people in the fashion industry, including W magazine Editor-in-Chief Stefano Tonchi, who used the rapper as the cover girl for the magazine’s November issue. Though W magazine was a huge honor for the emcee, her manager Cortez Bryant has his eye on a Vogue cover (!), for which he is reportedly “in talks”; “That’s on my wish list,” he says. “I hope. I hope.” I hope, too! It would be nice to see more women of color covering the Fashion Bible! (NYT)

• Anna Wintour, 69th most powerful woman in the world, is spearheading fashion’s attempt to re-elect the most powerful man in the world, Barack ObamaVogue magazine and 22 designers including Marc JacobsTracy ReeceRachel Roy, and Alexander Wang have come together under Runway to Win, a charity to raise money for the Obama Victory Fund. Starting Thursday, January 12, you can log on to Runwaytowin.com, and choose from a selection of  t-shirts, wristlets, scarves, and tote bags by your favorite designers  for purchase, with all proceeds going to the President’s re-elesction campaign. Think you’ll support? (WWD)

Willow Smith follows in the footsteps of  Nicki Minaj, donning a blonde faux-hawk wig complete with a pompador of light pink curls the emcee reportedly gifted her, to go shopping at Louis Vuitton. No word yet on what an 11-year-old might need in a luxury leather goods and clothing store. (Styleite)

Amina Warsuma talks about her life in Paris in the 1970s as a black model in an hour long interview titled, A Black Model in Paris. She discusses her triumphs, struggles, spending all her money on clothes in Paris (hitting a little too close to home on this end,) and gives advice on how to break into fashion as a person of color.

If you can’t see the video above, watch it here!

WWD reports that Marc Jacobs has collaborated with polka-dot obsessed Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama on a selection of leather goods, shoes, accessories, and ready-to-wear, set to release in Louis Vuitton stores this July. But you don’t have to wait ’til then to see the pieces– Jacobs will debut the designs in Paris this March during the Louis Vuitton fashion show. I can’t wait to see what these two have produced! (WWD)

~Jihan

18 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Beyoncé Gives Birth, Nicki Minaj Eyes Vogue Cover, and Amina Warsuma’s A Black Model in Paris Documentary”

1. dyshaun says:

Congrats to Beyonce and her family. Im a fan. :)

2. Empress says:

Congrats to Bey and Jay Z…Wish them the best with Princess Carter!

I don’t understand why people don’t believe she was pregnant? Cause she didn’t do a pregnant nude pic or because she’s not selling the babys first pictures? Smh…

3. Tas says:

You mean Beyonce’s surrogate gave birth to the baby via C-section. SMH. I wouldn’t have believed all the rumors had I not seen her stomach deflate on that tv show. Pregnant women’s stomachs don’t do that.

4. Madpet says:

Nicki Minaj on the cover of Vouge…..oh hell naw!!!!

5. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Well Nicki is always name-checking designers, so it makes sense. Better than YET ANOTHER Sienna Miller or Gwyneth Paltrow cover. And I am with you Anna, OBAMA 2012! I’ll be buying!

6. sun.kissed says:

Can’t wait to see the baby! It would be nice to see if Vogue would do a nice cover with Nicki, I’m not a huge fan of the magazine. Oh hell no to Willow in that wig. I can’t wait to see the polka dots. Sounds like it could either be beautiful or a disaster.

7. Crystal says:

If she named that baby after his albums…she’s nuts. Nicki foolishness is getting her further than I would’ve predicted so I can’t knock her hustle. Willow….

8. BG says:

I signed up for Runway to Win!

@Ta’s girl bye that same news station where that incident occurred replayed the behind the scenes foootage after all the controversary & showed Bey from all angles sitting down her dress was hella big so it folded (google the vid before stating ignorance) & plus swollen feet hands and faces don’t lie

10. I’m not the biggest fan of Beyonce’s choice of name. I kinda liked it more when everyone thought it was Ivy Blue… But whatevs lol Congrats Mr. & Mrs. Carter : )
    I don’t necessarily care to see Miss Minaj on the cover of Vogue bc something tells me this will turn into a mockery.. Ijs

11. BeBe Jones says:

I’m really trying to give this documentary a chance … it’s um, yeah!

12. Stacey says:

Congratulations to B and J. Children are a blessing.

Tas have you ever been pregnant/worn a maternity dress. . .which are designed with more fabric about the midsection (to accommodate a growing baby bump) which folded as Anonymous explained…

I am very excited for this Yayoi Kusama colabo by the way!

13. NikkiBellaRay says:

Congrats to Bey and Jay on their bundle of joy, she was born a wonderful day which is my birthday of course *bats eyelashes*, can’t wait to see pics of the famous Baby Blue Ivy.

14. NikkiBellaRay says:

*born on a wonderful day* that is!

15. lanenabuena says:

I’m so confused about beyonce.. not saying that she wasn’t pregnant because who knows but first off in September she said she was 3 months pregnant which would now make her only 7 months pregnant?.. why would she be giving birth already?.. Second There was talk that it was a planned C-Section provided by both of their reps but now via Mr. Carter and Mrs. Carters reps “it was a peaceful and natural birth” Plus you have to have seen the clip from the Australia interview, I wonder if she was pregnant did they put a fake bump on top to protect her incase some crazy people try to harm her unborn child or what the deal was with that. I’m just saying there is so many things that just don’t make sense. In any regards a new born child is a blessing and I wish them all the best and health and happiness for the whole family.

16. Erin says:

@ lanenabuena

Beyonce NEVER told the media how far along she was. NEVER gave a due date. So your whole little theory is BS. Use YOUR brain not the one misguided by the media.

Congratulations to The Carters on Blue Ivy.

17. Mona L says:

I just had to check a co-worker about this. A man no less! SMH the things people believe.

18. elis says:

vogue is supporting obama? seriously? it’s a fashion magazine. goodness.

no, i will not be supporting him.