January 5th, 2012
Fashion News, Kanye West
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Kanye West took to Twitter to explain a few things about the collection he dared to show in Paris this October, and the subsequent Twitter account that recently sprung up for it.

The rapper tweeted: “I appreciate everyone’s support for my clothing line but I wanted to clarify a few things… The name of the line is Kanye West, not DW… the DW was a design element placed on the invite in homage to my mom. I really appreciate the fake Twitter page (@DWbyKanye, which has since been removed) but since it’s not official, I can’t cosign any information on it.” That’s too bad. I followed the account in hopes that someone could explain why their Spring 2012 collection had so much fur. Maybe Yeezy takes climate change into account when he’s designing? (Fashionista)

Macy’s has created a workshop for multicultural women looking to build a career in retail. The Workshop at Macy’s offers courses taught by established retail experts and successful businesswomen of color, so that promising young women can get the head start they need to truly carve out a meaningful space for themselves in the industry. The course is once a year, 4 1/2 day training course, open to only 20 people. If you’re interested, you can apply for the program here. Good luck!

• Here’s a news item you won’t find on the newly launched Angelaandvanessa.com. Rev Run’s little angels have tax liens issued against them by the IRS to the tune of $450,000!  (Detroit News)

Vogue Italia Editor-in-Chief Franca Sozzani visited Ghana to mentor a few young designers from the country. After viewing a runway show they put together, Sozzani gave them valuble insight on how to grow their brands and appeal to international markets: “In designing your creations,” she advised, ” make sure that they feature not only references to Ghanaian culture but also have an international appeal so that your garments can also be successful abroad.” (Vogue.it)

David Beckham collaborated with H&M on a bodywear capsule for men, which is great, but I think we all can agree the most important thing about this are the glorious ads featuring the partially-clothed soccer star. Thank you, H&M, for reminding us all why we’d love to be Victoria Beckham. (Fashionista)

Paris Hilton‘s days of pop cultural relevance are far behind her, but her side projects have been adding to her already mountainous supply of cash. The socialite tells FHM that her fragrances have made her 1.3 billion since 2005. That much!? Who is buying all this perfume from Ms. Hilton? (JustJared)

~Jihan

18 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Kanye West Answers Questions About His Clothing Line, Franca Sozzani Visits Ghana, and Paris Hilton’s Billion Dollar Fragrance Profits”

1. Kitty B. says:

Oh yeezy baby how i love you so, but there NO explanation you can give me, that’ll make with agree with anything from your line…the ideas were all over the place and I agree Jihan what was up with the fur in spring o_O

Hey david…is that a sock in your pants or are you just happy I commented on this post, call me **wink**

2. Apple says:

The opportunity with Macy’s Workshop sounds great. Good luck to all applicants.

3. Caribbelle says:

Of the 1.3 billion that Paris’ fragrances have made altogether as a brand over the past 7 years, how much is her cut? I’m assuming that she just licensed her name like Jessica Simpson.

4. mY oPINION says:

WOW 1.3 billion Paris!!??! I would imagine she is taking home AT LEAST 30% of that (390 Million). I’m in the wrong line of business!!

5. Krystal says:

Hot Damn….Eye Candy so early in the a.m. My goodness, how you doing David????? You like chocolate?

6. Dom says:

As a former Macys fragrance dept employee I can tell you that Paris (and Jessica) are doing quite well. Their scents are some of the least expensive, usually come in a set for the same price as a single bottle, and have plenty of freebies. They stay racking up in ahem, “diverse” communities for that reason.

7. Kandi B says:

Jihan reading your writing is a pricless at work. I needed that lol. Now I gotta get back to work lol ;0

8. Jihan says:

@Kandi B: THANK YOU! Seriously, that means a lot!

9. Nickieluv says:

Love the pic of Becks!…mmmm….

10. Crystal says:

Jessica Simpson did not just license her name. Her clothing and fragrance line has made over a billion as well. And I believe it’s been in less than 7 years. Jessica is BALLIN’ on the low.

11. David says:

Ok Jihan there’s no such word as relevancy please proof read before posting

12. sun.kissed says:

Am I the only person who read the bit about the Simmons sisters? Whoa, that’s shocking coming from them. I bet they didn’t expect the public to find out either…

13. B. says:

I actually wish people would take climate change into account when designing! It has been a mostly cold summer in Australia (generally under 30 degrees Celcius which is about 86 degrees Farenheit, although we’ve probably had about 2 weeks worth of our usual 35+ degrees celcius/95+ degrees celcius weather). Mostly the summer wear in stores this season isn’t really appropriate for the weather we’re actually having. *Tear*

14. Miss Smith says:

Um actually relevance is a word.

Shout out to Franca for reaching out to the Ghanian designers. I would love to see their collections!

15. Grace says:

@David, you’re an idiot. I’m embarrassed for you.

16. DeBuzz says:

Franca is in Nigerian presently…she’s so nice!

17. Jihan says:

@David, according to respected Dictionary Merriam-Webster, it is: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/relevancy

18. dayuum_chelz says: