January 5th, 2012
Beauty, Hair
10 Long Hairstyles to Try in 2012
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Whether you’ve grown it or you’ve sewn it, here are ten styles to try for long hair…

1. Flat twist-out. Another way to get awesome curls with little to no heat? Try flat twisting the hair while damp, unravel once dry, and then finger comb as desired.

2. Long spirals. Play up your own natural texture or take a trip down to a hair boutique and get bundles of hair or even a half-wig for a youthful spiral style.

3. Side swept bangs. Swoop bangs work on every face shape because the diagonal line they create helps to slim and soften the face.

4. Long and wavy with a center part. It may be winter, but you can still have some fun with beach weaves. You can get a look like this by using a curling wand or go heatless by rolling sections of the hair into knots overnight and unravel in the morning.

5. Big, bouncy curls. Get your hair set on medium to large size rollers and once the hair is dry, simply finger comb adding a little teasing at the crown for extra volume.

6. A twist-out. While hair is slightly damp, create several medium to large twists. Once dry apply a little coconut oil to your fingers and unravel. This is a style that tends to look its best on the second or third day so give yourself some time ahead of special events.

7. Retro. Give a nod to yesteryear with a cute retro look. To get this 40s-inspired ‘do, simply section off hair near the front of the head and roll into a tube. You may want to stuff the roll with sponge rollers that match your hair color to give it shape. Secure with hairpins.

8. Side braids. Add a little edge to your long ‘do with intricate side braids for a take on the faux hawk. Looks good on both relaxed and natural hair.

9. A blow-out. Slightly blow out your natural hair and let it flow free for a Diana Ross-esque look. This style looks best on trimmed and shaped hair, so be sure to hit the salon first for a good shaping.

10. Add a braid. A braid adds an element of boho-chic to your look and is also perfect for disguising growing out layers and bangs.

Tools of the trade:

Stay tuned for more!

13 Responses to “10 Long Hairstyles to Try in 2012”

1. Nikki K. says:

I really want to try the center part since I’ve been rocking the side part since high school. I have a rather round face and chipmunk cheeks. Can I still pull off the center part?

2. Kitty B. says:

@ Nikki you sure can!! i have an oval face with chubby cheeks and I wear a middle part…what i did i was layer the front and have everything connect into a V-shape in the back it. It will help those chubby cheeks look just a bit slimmer.

Its time for me to move from the side bang, I’ve been doing that since college to hide this 5-head of mine lol…and the braid thing, im done lol…may try the blow out and the bouncy curls more often for the new yet ;)

3. Crystal says:

That twist out is pretty! I just have to keep mine from frizzing up! #Teamchubbycheeks. :)

4. SideEye Mimi says:

i’ll be glad why i find someone who knows how to trim my natural hair…i’m still searching.

5. Nadege says:

I love the look Teyanna Taylor is wearing. She rocks big hair well.

6. gagirl87 says:

I love long hair whether it’s weave or natural :) but wait hole up the side braids look ghetto to me and hmmm so yeah :(

7. NikkiBellaRay says:

Is contemplating that retro-do, I like it!

8. Missus says:

Who is this VV Brown?!? I’m intrigued! I Wanna see more of her por favor!

9. shelly says:

@ Missus

Ditto…I feel like I’ve seen her before (probably on this site, lol), but yes, her look is gorgeous!

10. Danielle says:

@SideEyeMimi believe it or not I got my hair trimmed (I was at TWA status though) at Supercuts! The girl at my local one in Queens did a really awesome job and wasn’t nervous at all cutting it. She dug right in…lol. Of course I was the only female customer, but whatever…lol.

@Nikki K a side part would be ideal because it’ll slim the face, but go ‘head and rock your center part! Add a little volume at the crown to help visually elongate a round face.

@Missues and Shelly she’s a British singer. I did two posts on her awesome makeup looks here: http://fashionbombdaily.com/2010/10/20/get-glowy-cheeks-like-vv-brown-at-black-girls-rock/ and here: http://fashionbombdaily.com/2010/10/27/get-the-look-vv-browns-bright-lip-and-bright-cheek-combo/

11. Lili says:

Loving these looks! Great ideas for Fashion Bombers and Liberettes!

12. Although it’s almost too much hair on Ciara’s head, I like that style the best :)