January 4th, 2012
Beauty, Hair
10 Short Hairstyles to Try for 2012
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

If you’re looking for new ways to style your short hair or planning a hot date with your stylist and a pair of scissors, here are ten short hairstyles to try this year.

1. A coil-out. If shrinkage has got you down, grab a curl cream like Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding, a parting comb, and put on your favorite DVD and get to coiling! Smaller coils will yield more textured results so be sure to carve out some extra time and start with slightly damp hair, add a little curl cream, and make very small twists around the head. Sit under a dryer or let your hair air dry—your choice. Once the hair is dry, you can wear the coils as is for a few days and then take them out to get a glorious ‘fro like Solange Knowles.

2. Side-parted natural. Need a fun way to wear your TWA? Head to the barbershop for a side-parted razor cut. As edgy as a cut like this is, you can still have some versatility in your wardrobe with both dressier and more causal outfits. Tolula Adeyemi worked hers with both jeans and shifts.

3. Curled out bob. Adding texture is the quickest way to change your style. You can get similar 1920s flapper-esque curls by using a small wand like the Conair Hot Sticks Curling Iron 3/4 inch.

4. Layered razor cut. If you want to soften a square-shaped face, a layered cut like the one Viola Davis is rocking is ideal. The bangs help to frame the face bringing attention to the eyes while the sides help soften the jaw line. Check out the subtle highlights at the ends.

5. The Wedge. This very geometric cut gives you a classic style with a little edge. Wear it flat to frame your face or add a few curls to switch it up. Do like Estelle here and add a deep cherry red to raven tresses for extra flair.

6. Curls with a streak of color. If you have short curls, get them cut into a shape that fits your face (the cut Kelis is rocking works for oval and heart-shaped faces) then have your stylist add a streak of color. Sure it’s a little Bride of Frankenstein, but with the right ‘tude it’s doable.

P.S. Don’t you love Kelis’s Grey Ant shades?

7. Short and curly with slightly buzzed sides. Take an otherwise safe cut to slight rocker proportions with buzzed sides. It’s like the perfect compromise between sassy and classy. Keep your edges put with a pomade like Dr. Miracle’s Edge Holding Gel.

8. Super short. The quickest way to make a statement is with very little hair. Plus doesn’t the idea of having to do very little with your hair excite you? To rock this look do like Chrisette Michele and keep your brows manicured and draw more attention to your face with a bold cheek and lip color combo.

9. A simple bob. Simple doesn’t have to be boring—Taraji P. Henson shows us just that with her bouncy take on the classic bob. You can wear yours straight, add some curls or waves, and even slick it back off your face.

10. Short cut with bangs. Draw attention to your beautiful eyes with a short bowl cut with bangs. It’s super simple to style (wrap your hair and secure with a satin scarf at night, then just comb down the wrap in the morning) and if you want a change from the bangs, just sweep them back. Simple and stylish.

Tools of the Trade:

Stay tuned for more hairstyle ideas!

23 Responses to “10 Short Hairstyles to Try for 2012”

1. #2 is my fave. I rocked a high top with tapered sides and a side part prior to wearing braids for the winter. It’s a great way to transition from a TWA to something with a bit more edge.

2. Apple says:

Perfect timing. I was just thinking of ways to spice up my short curls. My hair looks just like Kelis’ in the pic above, minus the blonde streak. Maybe I’ll do an auborn streak so I won’t look to much like I’m channeling my inner- Kalifa.

3. Danielle says:

@Apple dooooo it! @Amanda I’d love to see pics :)

4. Dobe says:

All of these ladies looks absolutely lovely! Great skin, smiles, and of course, hair! Estelle’s second look really suits her, and Solange’s hair is amazing.

Kelis’ glasses caught my attention right away… have to get a pair in my hands ASAPish, lol.

5. Christine says:

Don’t use Curly Pudding! It turns hair white the next day. I use Curls products now.

6. Apple says:

@Christine I love the Curls product line. I find that Kinky curly also turns your hair white arrgghh. I highly recommend using Organic Root Stimulator Products. They are amazing. The replenishing pak and soy oil are must haves. Their soy oils and jojoba oils give your hair moisture without that heavy greasy feeling. My secrest weapon for perfectly defined curls that smell great is, don’t laugh, just for me’s curl smoother creme. You are left with soft curls that look healthy. I loathe crunchy curls lol.

7. Apple says:

@Danielle I will do it by the end of the week :)

8. Danielle says:

@Christine I’ve used curly pudding and have never had that happen

9. yusufswifee says:

ladies the mixed chicks leave in is the truth…add a little gel with no alcohol and BAM!!!!

My hair is natural…I cut it all off every two/three months…and dye it myself and then sit back and enjoy it as it grows out and the color/texture changes…I’m gonna try the part thing.

@Amanada…I’d love to see pix – headed to your blog now

10. Englishvers says:

Adore the first and second images; such pretty faces and hair.

11. Dee says:

This post is right on time: I am in the twa stage and needed an idea or two. Loving number 2.

12. WestIndianGyal says:

What does “twa” mean?
    please and thanks :)

13. cyd says:

I LOVE ALL THESE STYLES ..I AM ALL FOR SHORT HAIR.. I THINK I AM BEING A BIT TOO NOSEY BUT DOES ANYONE ELSE PEEP RHIANNA’S STUDDED SHOULDER JACKET?? BADDDDD I NEED INFO ON THAT

14. Joanne_ says:

faces are B-E-A-T!!

15. lolodoll says:

Joanne…didn’t pay attention to that. Yes, their makeup is on point. I hardly ever wear makeup and would love how to apply it for those special occassions.

I wish I had the head for short styles. I have a big head.

16. Danielle says:

@WestIndianGyal TWA mean teeny weeny afro :)

17. My pick is a simple bob because it’s easy to maintain plus it’s very sassy. :)

18. 05girl says:

Was hoping this would be more about styling rather than cut options :/

19. Love them all, especially Kelis’s and Solange’s hair. Kelis rocks out whatever she wears. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in is what I’m using now to define my curls on my twa. I’ve used Miss Jessie’s Pudding and it didn’t leave my hair white. It depends on your hair texture and curl pattern etc. Hair products work differently for everybody. I also like Shea Moisture Curling Smoothie and Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic for my hair.

20. I will must use these haircuts in 2013 because these are so nice and amazing.I am so happy after visiting this blog .

21. Ping Mezza says:

Do think about returning to the color you had as a children. It’s most likely the most complementary shade for your skin tone.

22. Britta Selim says: