December 30th, 2011
Beauty, Hair, Holidays
Your Five Beauty Commandments for the New Year
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

2012 will be our most beautiful year yet, Bombshells!
But first we must all (leave no fashionista behind) pledge to do the following…

1. Thou shall wear sunscreen every day even if it’s cloudy and even in the winter. Thou shall also not believe the hype that our darker skin tones protect us from the sun. Not only can harmful UVA and UVB rays break down collagen causing premature wrinkles and fine lines, they can also cause skin cancers that for women of color can be more severe than what occurs with our Caucasian counterparts.

And you know those pesky brown spots we’re prone to? They’ll only become more noticeable without proper sun protection. Needless to say, slather (or powder with a mineral sunscreen) up. See 8 Sunscreens That Won’t Make You Ashy.

2. Thou shall not be scared of color. Look folks, we’re like two seconds away from 2012 and if you’re a Black woman still afraid of wearing color on your face, STOOOOOOOOP. We look GREAT in color–and not just the same purples and golds that are almost always pushed our way. Need some ideas? Check out all of this year’s Weekend Makeup Idea posts and try out a few looks.

3. Thou shall wear blush. Sometimes just a simple mention of the word blush makes some women cringe and duck like it’s kryptonite. Perhaps there’s some urban legend out there that claims a woman accidentally put on too much rouge and an evil queen locked her away in a tower forever that has people so shook. Who knows? But read my lips—ok my font—you won’t look like a clown! Blush is your friend—it warms the skin, makes you look more alert and helps bring out your cheekbones which can also help slim the face.

Quick blush rule of thumb: the darker the skin, the brighter the blush. See more in Blush 101.

4. Thou shall have perfect brows. A beautifully manicured brow frames the face, can make you look younger, and makes your eye makeup looks standout. Having them professionally shaped is your best bet, but you can grab some at-home tricks in Beauty Bomb : How to Shape and Care for Eyebrows.

Severely drawn-in and bad-angled brows need not apply. EVER.

5. Thou shall have awesome hair. Whether your hair is relaxed, natural, or you wear wigs or weaves, having a great hairstyle that flatters your face shape makes you look more confident, more stylish, and more vibrant. Thou shall also have hair that complements your fashion style. Need some ideas? Check out the hair tag.

Do we all pledge to these resolutions? Want to add more to the list? See you in the comments section :)

~Danielle

Posted In
26 comments

26 Responses to “Your Five Beauty Commandments for the New Year”

1. Stephie says:

Thou shall Love you First… (after our good Lord) It’s ok to Love the person you are even if your not all that you want to be just yet. Know that your beautiful and amazing and worth it!!

2. endESQ says:

Shout out to Stephie!!! Now, that’s a new year’s resolution I can stand by! “Thou shall Love you First… (after our good Lord) It’s ok to Love the person you are even if you’re not all that you want to be just yet. Know that you’re beautiful and amazing and worth it!!” Woot!

Oh, and I pledge to keep these beauty commandments in 2012 – headed to Sephora & ULTA after work lol!

3. Deb says:

Add exercise. We need to be healthier. If you add workouts to your beauty regime, you will feel happier, look fantastic and improve your health.

4. Ay says:

Amen to Stephie & Deb!

5. Cole says:

YES, YES!!! Stephie, Deb I think we ALL agree…. We can do this 2012 ia going to be an awesome year for ALL. Be Blessed Ladies Have a fab/safe New Year!

6. Kimmoy says:

How about Thou shalt find the right shade of foundation and concealer? Love these beauty commandments Danielle! I’m excited to put more effort into my beauty in 2012 :D

7. Indigo says:

Thou shall remember,”That’s a music video” “This is reality” Keep video fashion just that…video fashion. Have a great one : )

8. 416 says:

Woooorrrdddddd

9. Belle says:

@Stephie I looove that ! Thanks for that girl :) This is an awesome post. Thanks Danielle. And @Deb I so agree with you. Ugh I think thats gonna be the hardest for me because I hate working out :( But I’ll try

10. Bella says:

i think wearing blush should be number 1. I LOVE blush it’s my favorite makeup item and i honestly think blush looks better on us black women. If you’re afraid of it or don’t want to spend a lot of money try any of the milani baked blushes. they look so good on all shades of brown.

11. Bella says:

ALSO beautyjoint.com is a great place for nyx, milani, and other makeup brands for less!

12. Englishvers says:

My brows are always perfectly-imperfect;-)

13. Dee says:

High five to all five!!!

14. Siyam says:

Thou shalt do your research. Test the theories and myths you hear and be INFORMED about what is going on your face, in your body and on your head. A healthy lifestyle and knowing your stuff will help all the abovementioned commandments have a firm platform on which to stand.

I will be going mostly makeup less ( vaseline and mascara are a MUST) for the new year, so thanks for the tips on blush and color, and I think I’ll pass those on to my homegirls :)

15. Marie-josé says:

I agree & Promise to do my best to to follow these rules!
    hahahaaha; It’s been a nice year discovering fashion bomb daily.com & all it’s fun. Let’s make it to 2012!

16. binks says:

Agreed especially with Deb and stephie! In 2012 be the woman you want to be instead of hoping to be, don’t be afraid of your own spotlight ladies.

17. shelly says:

Love them all!

18. Dnice says:

I would add making sure you add a caring dermatologist to your health care regimen – black women suffer from excess, psoriasis and other ail nets in silence. Vaseline doesn’t cure everything! Take charge a find a derm that is familiar with black skin- and pass along the tips to fan and friends.

19. Dnice says:

Dang autocorrect on this iPad! While we can suffer from excess it should say ECZEMA!

20. Joanne_ says:

love it, especially on the sunscreen!

21. Danielle says:

Thanks everyone! Have a BEAUTIFUL New Year! :)

Amen to that!

23. MochaBelle says:

Thou shalt address beauty from the inside out. If you want to truly be beautiful your beauty regime has to include a diet rich in a variety of healthy foods, vitamins, tons of water and exercise to rid your body of toxins.

24. JustDionne says:

Thou shall know what clothes compliement your body. Just b/c it comes in your size, doesn’t mean it’s for you!!!!

25. BellaNella says:

I think it is awesome you featured a woman with natural hair (shout out to my sistas with relaxed hair and weaves). We should celebrate whatever type of hair we have on our head and I just thought it was nice you had an alternative. Loving my natural fro!!