December 28th, 2011
Best of 2011, Celebrity Style, Trend
Take it or Leave It? Top Trends of 2011

It’s time to look back at the hottest trends of the year, and decide which ones we should bring to 2012 and which should be left in 2011!
20111228-150839.jpg
This year saw dozens of fads, but we’ve filtered it down to The Fashion Bomb’s Top 5:

1. Colorblocking

Few trends were as ubiquitous or wildly followed as 2011′s colorblock trend. The craze had fashionistas all over the world whipping out their color wheel, mixing and matching bold hues from primary to pastel.

Whether pairing pink and orange, purple and teal, or red and blue, colorblocking works and looks fab on everyone.

Photo from GeekyChic.ca

Let’s keep it going in 2012!
2. Totally Sheer Garments
Fashion Bomb stylistas got hip to the runways this year, rocking totally sheer garments as spied on the Fall 2011 runways of Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, and Givenchy.

While the look seems alluring in theory, it’s hard to pull off, and 2 out of 3 times this trend simply doesn’t work.

The odds are not in our favor, Bombshells. Let’s keep it in 2011!

3. Leopard Love
Leopard is a classic and has been around for decades, but in 2011 we saw both men and women truly taking to the wild print.

Though not everyone is a fan of the male interpretation, I personally think leopard works all the time. I can’t get enough of it, and it seems the stars can’t either.

All that to say: leopard is here to stay.

To 2012 it goes!

4. Hi Lo Hems
Hi lo hems appeared again on recent runways with Chanel’s Fall 2009 couture collection, but didn’t trickle down to the stars until this year. Numbers of celebs had no problem showing off their gams in dresses that were all business in the front, with a party in the back.

I personally adore plays on hems, and think this trend still has a bit more steam.

Yep. Let’s take it to the new year.

5. Super Platform Heels

2011 was undoubtedly the year of the vertiginous Christian Louboutin Daf heels. Whether in pump form or more demure in Mary Janes, everyone from Beyonce to Ciara to Jennifer Hudson simply couldn’t get enough of the chunky, super platform shoes.
For me, these heels look uncomfortable and clunky–the opposite of sleek and chic.

I’ll have my regular pumps back, please and thank you. Let’s leave these in 2011!

Which trends would you like to stay? Which should go? And what did we miss?

Smootches!

Posted In
59 comments

59 Responses to “Take it or Leave It? Top Trends of 2011”

1. Joyce says:

I disagree with you. I say the chunky platform shoes are here to stay for a while. Love them!

2. Len says:

I think we should keep them all however we can give leopard print a break..maybe because i currnetly put myself on punishment from buying anything leopard :(

3. bella says:

i love the dafs!!! i loveeee chunky platforms. colorblocking is my fav trend and it will continue in 2012. leopard print will never go out of style.

4. CG says:

I agree with Joyce & Len. I have so much leopard I cant stand myself. And I love a good chunky heel (only 5’3″).

5. Felicia says:

I say chunky heels should stay. I’ve seen women who wouldn’t usually wear heels actually getting into them. Also I loved colorblocking so that has to stay. Sheer dresses have to go I think we show enough its time to cover up. And I’m just really getting into to “Animal” print so it must stay until I’m done with it LMAO!!!!

6. FabBarbieKeya says:

I agree with everything you said except for the super chunky heel being left in 2011. I love em, I think they are fab. They should be brought into the new year. Also sheer is good but it has to be worn correctly. And it ain’t for everyone. So if you can wear it right, why not bring it into the new year.

7. Terysa says:

I co-sign with 1000000000% of EVERYTHING in this take it or leave it, except men in leopard…YUCK!

8. Dobe says:

Colorblocking has been around for years, and was increasingly popular this year. I think we’ll more of it in the next year.

I was never a big fan of leopard, but I do have a pair of platform leopard wedges that I barely wear. But, I will wear them more often in 2012.

Turbans are a look I’m not too sure of… I think it was a bit overdone in 2011, but I don’t think we should completely throw them to the side. Never was a fan of velvet anything, so I wouldn’t mind seeing it disappear, lol.

9. McKenzie says:

I’m sick to death of colorblocking, but I love it nonetheless, if that makes any sense lol. And Claire, aren’t thr YSL Tribtoos just as clunky as the Daffodils? Why pick on the CLs only? Anyhoo, I say bring them all into 2012, except the leopard looks on men, no bueno.

10. Dobe says:

I’d also like to see a shoe other than Louboutin make its way into 2012 and gain mass popularity. CL’s has a good run, but it’s time for someone else to shine.

11. cyd says:

I adore platform heels…lol they are the best thing going for little ole me 4’11″…i agree with everythign else

12. ICe says:

I’m 5’7 and the super platform shoes just make me look like an amazon in heels…that’s a no for me…However color block is my total fav! Will definitely keep that well into 2012 and as for the leopard print (I can’t overdo it with the leopard) ….so I only keep a few essential pieces such as a belt, sweater, and shoes and those are enough to keep it going. but very chic!

13. jasmine says:

i still want leopard,transparent clothes and high lo hems i want those to stick around for a minute

14. bougiehippie says:

Leopard is just a classic print it has always been around, same with platforms they come and go. I like when things from the nineties comeback like color blocking and it’s a easy way to be trendy yet simple . What I can leave is transparent tops! you need a hard body to rock that look and people fail to remember that.

15. Amanda says:

I personally will colorblock for the rest of my life. It makes any outfit look fresh and daring!

16. shelly says:

I love 4/5 of the styles (that high-low thing looks so CRAZY to me, lol) , and I think that those 4 should continue into the new year. As with everything, there is a good and a bad. You just have to make sure that it looks flattering on you, especially with the sheer clothing (LaLa and Jessica White look crazy in their outfits).

And to comment on the platform heels, a YSL platform and a Christian Louboutin platform look have a different style (the YSL pumps being a bit more sleek) and height (CL’s having a higher heel and platform).

Though I like both style of shoes, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Mary Jane style Louboutin (as seen on Kim and J. Hud above) go away. They look way too bulky and awkward.

17. Dom says:

I love a good heel. The platform look is here to stay, but those Daf’s are done to death. I appreciate the new way designers are doing platforms with the graduated heel like so: http://www.bcbg.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12400276&cp=4372846.2769059&view=all&clickid=cat_leftnav_txt&parentPage=family

Saw shoes like these in London years ago, so I’m glad they’re finally making their way to the states.

18. SideEye Mimi says:

FASHION is what YOU make it, I don’t go by trends, if i buy something, i plan on having it and working it in for a few seasons, and hopefully longer, to me its all about how yo rock it, these items are classic items, to me a trend would be “leggings” as pants which to me NEEDS to GO, and be banished from recycling itself. I’m not talking about thick legging/pants i’m talking about Sheer leggings that you can get for 10 bucks, and the kind were you can see your panties through it, and women are still rocking them like they are pants.

19. Caribbelle says:

Animal prints will never go out of style; classic staple, it’s just some of the interpretations that are horrendous.
    Has color blocking every really been out of style? I mean I’ve grown up around women who’ve been color blocking my entire life. *shrugg* I guess it just became trendy again.

I abhor those dual hem garments, just no lol

20. Caribbelle says:

Animal print is a classic staple, leopard print just needs to sit comfy where it is lol.
    I’m not a fan of dual hems, its like wearing uggs with hot shorts and a tank top; You hot or cold? Figure it out!!
    Can we really say that color blocking went out of style; I’ve grown up with women mixing amazing colors…I guess its just became a large trend again.

21. Savage says:

Color blocking needs to die a harsh tragic death, and leopard print is just like everything else, in moderation it can be fab..But when u od on it, it can be tacky as all hell. I guess its all in the execution. That Hi Lo hem is wack..lol I adroe a sheer top but everyone I’ve seen in a sheer dress just looks rediculous. And the super platforms?! I’m 5’10 and I wear my big heels PROUDLY!! No matter what the trend I’ll keep my heels and see thru tops.

22. LawyerChic says:

Am I the only person who didn’t realize color-blocking was a trend until it was a trend? I feel like I dressed like this before I knew what the heck it was! Anywho, I think platforms are here to stay; they’re just too darn comfy to give up. We can leave the sheer in 2011, tacky if you ask me. And leopard goes in and out, but I think it will always be a staple.

23. Jihan says:

Hi-lo (or as I like the call them, mullet hems) i think are my fav trend. I want my wedding dress to have a mullet hem :)

24. Tamisha says:

I loved colorblocking for 2011 and I think it should definitely stay there. So many people over did it and some colors did not look good together so let’s give colorblocking a break. However, I will keep my leopard print forever and always. Hi lo hems can stay, totally sheer can leave and never come back, and super platforms can leave and come on special occasions only. Can’t wait to see what 2012 brings.

25. ninjo says:

LOL @Jihan —> Mullet hem

Please cut the beanstalks.
    Color-blocking & leopard will live on. Sheer… not so much.

26. Brittany says:

Oh yes yes yes PLEASE leave the super chunky platform heels behind. They look awful. I’ll be glad when reasonable heels come back in style. I love a platform heel, but lets keep it to 3.5 to 4 inches.

27. Mima says:

I agree with everything. Leopard can stay for women. Men? Not so much. The chunky platforms can go. Btw, am I the only one that LOVES the yellow dress Solange is rockin’?? Love, love it!:)

28. Shae says:

Color blocking and leapard are the top trends and are here to stay. Color blocking is my fav right now. Don’t forget statement wedges were and still are a big trend. Platforms are obviously here to stay.

29. binks says:

I disagree with the hi-lo dresses to me it just looks unfinished like you couldn’t decide if you wanted to go short or long so we need to leave it because out of the examples Solange rocked it the best partly since its not a true hi-lo dress. And I would add a break from Louboutin’s next year!! Come on peeps let’s Rep something other than CL’ s on the feet.

30. Rebecca says:

I love platform but those CL’s have been rocked to death, I’m so sick of seeing them on celebrities. Also those shoes in particular seem to make feet look massive so if you already have big feet then you shouldnt be rocking them.

31. I love the Hi Lo trend :)

32. I love the Hem trend :)

33. Brandi says:

Animal print on men is WRONG!

34. NikkiBellaRay says:

I’m sorry but I’m taking it all especially the colorblocking and leopard print in love with it :-)

35. Tiana says:

I have agree with @ dobe, I’m ready for another shoe brand to step into the lime light. CL makes beautiful shoes, don’t get me wrong, but so does Brian Atwood. Everything else I love.

36. MissTrish says:

I love my platforms. Even though Im 5’8” I just love how tall they make you and how long they make ur legs look. Also platforms are so much easier to walk in than regular high heel shoes and they also don’t make ur feet hurt as much. I do agree that every other trend should continue to be warn in 2012, I just hope ppl find more creative ways to wear them.

37. Lauren says:

I love the Hi Lo hem and will always love leopard!

38. Shara says:

Color-blocking needs to stay forever!

39. Miss Understood says:

I agree with you on all counts, with the exception of super platforms. To 2012 they go!

40. DivaFabulosa says:

At 5’8, you won’t see me in heels over 4in. high. Standing 6ft. is my max in heels. I love the color blocking, I dress that way before it was a “trend”. I really don’t follow trends anyway. I wear what I want and am a trendsetter. If leopard went out of style, I’d still rock it, lol. ;)

41. ZaraChioma says:

I can leave the super platform heels. I’m already tall and I just really don’t need to be THAT much taller.

42. cre says:

Super cunky platform shoes are FAAAAAAR from sexy, ugh. It needs to stay in 2011.

43. Ayana says:

I love leopard but not really on men. I also love the platforms. The high low hems are okay and the color blocking is ok as long as the colors go well together. Complimentary colors are best.

44. jUICElOVE says:

I must say leopard and colorblocking are keepers for me. But the lady dafs have got to go too many people have them…A girl like me with wide feet needs a little platform though for comfort

45. LOLO says:

OK, first ii think sheer should go ASAP…..colorblocking can stay but i hope pple find MORE ways to color block using pastels, dark, etc. besides the usual: purple and orange, blue and green

thinks you missed? that fucking American Apparel bodysuit!!!!!!! with the mesh in the middle that eeeeeverybody has worn? that needs to BURN in 2011

and all those Poparrazzi earrings bootlegs with the beads strung on the hoops? im SO sick of those…..also, im sick of seeing feather earrings, the feather earring thing has been so overdone and iim over it

46. LOLO says:

and i agree with what someone else said about Christian Louboutins in general were played OUT in 2011, its not even really exciting to see a celeb where louboutins anymore in my opinion, bcuz they all get the same ones [or same styles]…..i want a different shoe designer to takeover in 2012

47. Mel says:

I love chunky platforms even though I’m 5’7 they make me feel powerful like I can take on the world lol. Those Louboutins are lovely but I feel they look best with jeans or pants. But truthfully, fashion is more fun when you make your own trends and not let others dictate to you what’s in or out.

48. Nali says:

agree with everything EXCEPT the platforms. Who doesnt love a tall heel??? TAKING IT TO 2012! i think we should retire/fall back in the CL rush. give the daffodils a break SHEESH

49. Claire says:

I’d like to redact my statement on super platforms. SOME are ok (i.e. the YSL tribtoos that I luv), but I really just had an issue with the Louboutin Daf pumps. I think those are horrible.
    AND how could I forget those Poporazzi earrings?!? Let’s leave those in 2011 too. Just my humble opinion! x