December 16th, 2011
Christian Louboutin, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Don’t you want to jump into the Obama‘s family portrait?

The first family sat down in the Oval Office for photographer Pete Souza, and this is the glorious result. Sasha and Malia are growing up so fast, it brings a tear to my eye! (The YBF)

• No common towel from Macy‘s is fit to dry Kanye West. His bathwater is far too rich. But this $395 Versace towel set might do the trick. The rapper tweeted a photo of the luxurious cloths yesterday, saying, “ALL I WANT 4 XMAS.” The man doesn’t ask for much. Someone indulge him. (Upscale Hype)

PYNK magazine goes inside Emily B‘s expensive shoe closet which consists mostly of… you guessed correctly, Christian Louboutins. I’m thinking of a word. It starts with “b” and ends with “asic.” (Necole Bitchie)

WWD reports that Jack McCullough and Lazaro Hernandez of Proenza Schouler are in the process of opening a standalone store of their own. No word on where it will be, but the design duo is said to be eyeing a space on Madison Avenue. (WWD)

Mary Katrantzou SS 12

Mary Katrantzou, Roksanda Ilincic, and Nicholas Kirkwood are three of the nine designers shortlisted for the BFC/Vogue Fashion Fund! The nominees will compete for a £200,000 prize and a mentorship from a well-established designer. Good luck to all the nominees! (Racked)

Abercrombie and Fitch is asking the judge to throw out the lawusit Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino filed against them. If you remember, Mr. Sorrentino is suing the retailer for using slogans “The Fitchuation,” and “G.T.L (you know the deal),” on a few t-shirts sold in store. Not only has Mr. Sorrentino only just applied to copyright the phrases, A&F also claims the suit is unfounded as they t-shirts are a parody, which is protected under free speech laws. (TMZ)

• Social Maven Bevy Smith talks about how she made it in this fun series on Styleblazer (Styleblazer)

~Jihan

42 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: The Obama’s Official 2011 Family Portrait, Emily B’s Extensive Louboutin Collection, and The BFC/Vogue Fashion Fund Nominees”

1. Caribbelle says:

the first family is SHARP!! Loves them so much, and the girls are growing up so fast ;_;

2. Lisa B says:

I agree Jihan, a house full of Christian Louboutins does not make you great! It is really basic because they are trendy and EVERYONE owns a pair. You got the the local hood girls sitting in a dark room because they spent their rent money to get a pair. Come on Emily B. step your game up! You suppose to be a “stylist”

3. terilili says:

I heart the Obamas! What a beautiful family!

4. T1K says:

LOL@ b……asic! I love my first family! They are all gorgeous.

5. SimplyMe says:

phahahaha! you put it perfectly “b….asic” I agree with Lisa B, I expect more from her because she’s a stylist. But, hey she’s NO June…..

6. Dobe says:

The Obamas are simply lovely.

7. ---- says:

I dont think Em is basic for owning a lot of Loubs… The shoes are cute! Plus she mentioned in the article that she owns more than just CLs that’s just all they focused on… but ur right, that pic is a basic chick’s dream lol

8. sun.kissed says:

Loves the Obamas! LOL at b….asic. That’s not even a magazine worthy shot of her. She looks like she’s scared to smile.

9. bougiehippie says:

Emily can afford them, I think the basic would be the people who are buying them and still renting.

10. JR says:

The Obama portrait looks amazing!! Casual and chic. A lot better than last years.

11. loverly says:

the dress Malia is wearing is from Anthropologie and I wanted it in brown! So cute. I’m kinda glad I didn’t get it though.

12. MsCorporate says:

I like Em but what is she going to do when Loub’s become too common, which they are on the verge of being labeled as if they aren’t already #notimpressed

13. Rebecca says:

Since when does having a show collection worth over 10 grand considered basic?? -_-

14. Empress says:

Loubs..Seriously? Basic is the word..Emily B: another chick who gets 5 mins of fame because she #%^*£€> with a rapper..NEXT

@Bougiehippie..Buying them and still renting? Do you not watch the show LoveNHipHop..Last time she said “got the keys from the landlord”. As rich as those celebs and wannabees seem..They are renting, leasing, financing etc! Even that Bentley she drives on the show. I doubt it’s paid for!

15. Empress says:

Btw…Love the Obamas! Beautiful family pic!

16. jamo says:

its incredible how east african the prez’s daughters look. and each have their own distinct look!

personally i think sasha is adorable (the youngest one) and the other one looks naturally graceful.

wow!

17. Madpet says:

Did we call Kimora basic when she showed the world her collection of Monogram Louis Vuttion bags? I wouldn’t label her as basic just because she has a collection of Christian Louboutins. Maybe she just likes them and want to collect. She probably hasn’t even worn most of them. Come on guys you gotta admit, those shoes are art (well maybe not her collection) and the man knows what he is doing.

18. Indigo says:

LMAO @ the usage of the word “basic” It’s always thrown out there by a black female to put another black female down. Another word that needs to be retired soon… Even though the word basic in fashion means it’s a must have. lol smh.

19. Indigo says:

I wish the whole “Red Bottom” hype would just go away… Too many sistahs and brothas believe the hype…

20. Miss Smith says:

Jihan almost had me hollerin over here! I definitely don’t think that Jihan is trying to put Emily down by using the word ‘basic’ though. It’s just that people are starting to act like Louboutins are the only shoes available in the world, and they aren’t even that amazing. As a stylist, you should have a variety of designers (and not just household names.)

21. kaliente says:

Exactly @ Rebecca and Indigo…

22. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

How tall is Malia, OMG! The First Family is BEAUTIFUL!

23. Miss Understood says:

So just because she has a ton of Louboutins that makes her basic? Ummm ooookay….*side eye* @ Jihan.

24. vee says:

do thing only become basic when black people start rapping about them? and where do yall see hood girls walking w/genuine Cls? lemmeknowsomething ladies

25. Jaz says:

I feel the word basic was used correctly in this context. Owning a bunch of CL’s is just the same as owning a lot of Herve Leger dresses. A lot of people (Black people, sadly) want to appear to have money, and since everybody associate red bottom shoes equal expensive, people (not everybody) buy them to show that they have money. Now, I love CL shoes, amazing designs, but that article does look like a basic, reality, video vixen, or whatever picture.

26. Jaz says:

Things become basic when everybody start buying them, just to seem rich or important. But see the fact that someone said “when does having 10 grand worth of shoes become basic,” because people buy them so people will think that, dang she got a pair of those, she got some money. So, people start buying them not because they a hot pair of shoes, but because they are expensive.

27. Danielle says:

I have to agree with Indigo. Idk Jihan sometimes the stuff you post has me wondering. Em looks cute in almost every picture/screen shot I see of her and if she finds that her “red bottom” go best with her outfit so be it.
    On top of that, who says the girl doesn’t wear anything but CL, maybe that’s what the article wanted to talk about and feature. Just saying…

28. Jihan says:

Putting black women down? it… was… a…. joke… like, as Baby Spice said in Spiceworld, “ha ha ha ha HAAA?”

I specifically write for this blog because I *love* black women. I AM ONE! My mother and grandmother, and her mother are black women! Why would I want to bring black women down? We already get enough flack FOR EXISTING as it is. If she was white, or Asian I’d still make the same joke. Because it’s funny! (or at least I think so) And I love Loubis! I write about them all the time in the news.

Laugh! It won’t mess up your hair! :)

29. Ayana says:

Agreed with Jihan comment. I don’t saying the word basic is putting one down, its just EM being a stylist I think we all expected something more than the overly popular CLs. Yes having a shoe game more then 10k is quite impressive just wish they would have showcased a more variety. That’s all, and yes laugh a little everything don’t have to be soo serious or politically correct all the time. # shesh

30. PYNK magazine asked Emily B to use her CLs in the magazines. She has a wide variety of shoes from different brands, but the magazine probably knows that people would easily recognize the CLs from the signature sole. So that “basic” word you threw out at her was uncalled for.

And no matter how you try to spin it, the context that the word was used was a negative one. She meant basic as in Emily is basic for choosing to own so many pairs of CLs. If you’re going to make a comment, stand by it. Dont pull a NeNe and start backtracking once you feel some heat.

31. hehe says:

I find it funny ppl are calling Jihan when she has shown countless time how much she loves and respect black women. Now that photo was basic as hell whether it was Emily B or PYNK’s idea. I like CL but I hate how they become the defunt go to designer shoes when there’s so many impressiveness designers out there. Also for a Stylist Emily tend to dress basic as well. No creativity, all I see on her are bodycon dresses and “red bottoms”.

32. Grace says:

Perhaps Emily B should have spent her money buying some SELF RESPECT instead. Love and Hip Hop is my guilty pleasure and she indeed seems to be renting that new condo. Fine, perhaps “basic” is became as cliche as “hater”. Nonetheless, anyone who has spent thousands of dollars on shoes before owning a home and earning a lil equity, is well, BASIC ;-) Priorities….

33. kat says:

Where do you buy self respect? And given the current state of the housing market, renting is a pretty smart idea. I’m willing to bet that her monthly rent does not cover the owner’s monthly expenses. Hardly anyone is earning any equity these days. Besides, considering her situation, I hardly think that she is paying for any of those shoes :-/

34. I love the Obamas family picture.

35. LaLa says:

Love the Obamas beautiful family…I’m pretty sure Emily has other designer shoes other than CL (hopefully) & fyi: Emily is definitely Puerto Rican not black lol

36. Mona L says:

Em aint black Jihan is but Em aint and Em is very basic and it shows in more way than one!

37. Kitana says:

I looooove the first family’s pic. The epitome of class.

I don’t think Jihan’s comment was off base. It validates what true fashionista’s see her as. Her wardrobe is leggings, body con dresses and Louboutins. She has no range as a stylist. She always looks like she’s dressed for a King magazine shoot….

It seems like the fashion illiterate run to Louboutins as the status shoe now . We have the hip hop culture to thank for that, thanks Jay Z! these biddies never knew Louboutins existed until he mentioned them, Em included…

38. Jessica says:

Just because Louboutin’s have become trendy doesn’t mean that they are any less fabulous. The man can create a gorgeous shoe. If you spent your rent/bill money to buy a pair then yes you’re basic. However, if you have the means to AFFORD a closet full of them, maybe you’re just a fan of the designer. I would gladly take the entire collection and be “basic” too as you call it. We shouldn’t disregard the maker of a great pair of heels just because so many people have hopped on the bandwagon.

39. Afrikka! says:

Em is baisc cuz of who she is… i could care less bout her cl…and @ madpet i think its more cuz kimora was famous outside of who she has slept with…i think kimora is kinda basic too the things that come out of her mouth sometimes my goodness

@ kitana should we thank jay z for black people wanting to drive nice cars, live in nice expensive houses, etc. I mean I don’t get it, everybody makes it seem as if black people are trying to play catch up. if I want to buy something nice for myself, it should be assumed that I’m doing it to elevate my status or follow a trend…maybe just maybe I do it because I want too.

41. Afrikka! says:

oh and Bevy erks me a lil bit

42. IJT says:

I don’t know who this Emily chick is, but… if you just look at the shoes and ignore the CL prejudice, her shoe collection is quite lovely.

What “breaks” this photo for me is that this collection is photographed in a narrow undramatic uninteresting plain white stairwell.

One would hope that if she has a collection like that, she has a beautiful shoe closet in which to store them.