December 2nd, 2011
Celebrity Style, Fashion Bomb 101, Winter Wardrobe
Fashion Bomb 101: Nude Stockings for Brown Skin

So the weather is getting brisk, and cold blocking hose are beginning to become a necessity.
While opaque and patterned tights are fun, sometimes a skirt or dress will only look right with skin toned stockings.

Back in 2008, in a post titled, “Fashion Query: Stockings for Brown Skinned Bombshells,” we asked you guys to offer a bit of input on brands you like.
Reader Pamela said, “Hanes Silk Reflections in Barely There…perfect match for me…”. Thankfully you can get those for $9 at Kohl’s:

Anonymous added, “I think bare is sexy, but if you’re someone who really wants to wear stockings, Brown Sugar is a great brand. I am chocolate and they match me perfectly. They can be found at most Walgreens and stores like Target and maybe WalMart.” A quick search found these L’eggs Brown Sugar Regular Panty Sandalfoot Ultra Ultra Sheer Pantyhose for only $2.49.

With colors like honey brown, coffee, and jet brown, you can’t go wrong!
And our very own Danielle said, “Berkshire Ultra Sheer stockings in French Coffee (or Utopia) are perfect for darker skin tones! I’m about an NW47 (in MAC foundations) and when I used to wear stockings (I had to—I worked for a stuffy bank at the time…lol) they were so sheer and so close to my skin tone that I was often asked by management if I was wearing stockings. They work for caramel women as well.” Get ‘em for $7.50 at Macy’s:

So there’s quick rundown of hose you can wear this winter under your flirty cocktails to give off the illusion you’re not wearing anything at all:

What brands do you buy?

Posted In
30 comments

30 Responses to “Fashion Bomb 101: Nude Stockings for Brown Skin”

1. Apple says:

I seldom wear stockings but I recently entertained the idea of wearing nudes when I go to church. Thanks for your timely post.

2. Tressie says:

It is a shame we still have to look for this in 2011 but since we do I’m thankful that you’re on it.

3. Jennifer R. says:

Great Post! Do you know of any brands that have nude stockings but with a slight shimmer. Similar to the dance stockings that Beyonce wears? I’m going to a Christmas party in Boston next week so I really need to wear something on my legs.

4. SaintSasha says:

Thank you! I have been searching for this!

5. Crystal says:

i’m actually on the hunt for flesh tone fish nets. the darkest i’ve found was express and they were still a little too light. if i had some seed money i swear i’d open up a business for all of the everday things women of color have a hard time finding in the mainstream market. anyway, i haven’t worn stockings since my high school graduation but hanes has rich brown shades at kohl’s.

6. Truth Teller says:

YES YES YES I WILL BE BUYING THESE

7. Jessica says:

Berkshire (I wear Utopia) is the best brand. My mom, my grandmother and I don’t wear anything else. If you come across Givenchy stockings, they’re good as well, but I don’t see them as often anymore.

8. Candace says:

I wore Brown Sugar when I was younger and matched my skin perfect ( I’m in the Beyonce skin tone range) Everyone would always ask if I was wearing stockings….Now I rock Berkshire all the time during stocking season. They come in lots of tones, and a variety of sheers from lighter sheers to darker sheers. I also use HUE for opaque tights. They are at macys for 2 pair for $22, come in lots of colors, have lots sizes for my plus size booty, and last a long time!!!….like over 10 wears

9. sun.kissed says:

Brown sugar is the BEST as far as matching skin tone for me. They’re stockings not tights though which isn’t that great for colder weather.

10. Dom says:

I just saw that Tim Gunn said the stockings comeback is one of the worst trends of 2011. Clearly, Tim has never walked the mean streets of Boston on a brisk January morning in a work appropriate business skirt.

I digress. BrownSugar is my go to. They have shades that match me perfectly.

11. Nakia says:

Hanes has a color called gentlebrown perfect for us chocolate girls :)

12. K* says:

Grrreat post! I’ve been looking for some and my girl suggested “Silky Perfections in Sand or Sable” from Walmart.

13. covet says:

Thank you for this post Claire. When my mother was growing up she had to soak her stockings in hot water with a tea bag to get them close to her complexion. It’s great that these options are easily available now.

14. Dobe says:

Don’t forget to spray ‘em down, ladies! Longer wear, lol.

15. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Dobe- Spray them down with what? And I’ll be trying out those Berkshire stockings, I have to wear some to my promotion ceremony!

16. Katie says:

Nice post! My mother said they they would take their stockings and soak them in coca-cola to get their stocking close to their skin tone. It’s nice to have affordable option these days. I don’t wear skirts or dresses without stockings.

17. Ola says:

This is a very timely post. I have been looking for stocking that will match my skin tone. Thanks.

18. dyshaun says:

This is baloney. I love tight, stockings all of that but when Beyonce wore them y’all laughed and laughed and now look’a here.

LOL!

19. Lisa says:

Leggs silken mist, Hanes solutions (target), No nonsense perfect tones, and Sheer Intrigue ( k-mart) are some good choices and instead of 100% nylon go with Lycra sheer and go one size larger this will make them more comfortable and the will last longer

20. Lisa says:

I find that men love to see legs In hose I have nice legs and often get compliments

21. MeshaFenty says:

I love my berkshire tights!!!!

22. krystel says:

I wear nude stockings to work everyday with my suits…can’t live without them!

23. Brandi says:

Nude is essential for those who choose to wear stockings, a pair of black can also be done, however some still lean towards white or various other colored stockings , which I find utterly disgusting. Please post about the need for our ppl to pass on any other stocking colors such as: red, royal blue, purple, white etc…

24. cmbrown827 says:

I’ve always wear nude stockings during the winter months with suits and skirts in Michigan!

25. deb says:

donna karan, wolford and berkshire. berkshire fabric is not tops but it looks good

26. Pariss says:

Does anyone know of any in the UK?

27. Pamela says:

i’m still wearing the hanes silk reflections…maybe i’ll try one of these brands out as well!

28. Monica says:

I wear both stockings and pantyhose depending on occassion. When it’s hot outside I ususally wear hold-ups. Hanes is a good brand btw.

29. Frankie says:

Nice Post congrats.

I love the way my legs look when I am wearing hose – perhaps that is revealing too much personal info, but I always wear stockings when I attend formal functions. Wearing stockings under the dress you just bought for an evening gala where your husband will address his colleagues is always a turn-on.

Some women like me want to appear like they are not wearing any stockings, when they actually are. (Just to even out skin tone and hide a couple tiny spider veins.)

A Fashion Statement with Nude Pantyhose