November 29th, 2011
Celebrity Style, Holidays, Shopping, Trend, Winter Wardrobe
Try a Fall/Winter 2011 Trend: Velvet Accents
By Jihan

You wouldn’t know it from the 60-degree weather we enjoyed this Thanksgiving weekend, but winter is on its way. And while some of us (myself) might dread the imminent chill, it’s hard to hate it entirely when it gives us the opportunity to rock rich, textured fabrics like velvet.

Nicole Richie in Emilio Pucci

While the thought of velvet might bring images of a sweating, trembling, Prince touching his chest ever so softly, (is that just me?) there are plenty of chic modern options that will have you looking lovely and luxe. Velvet is a cold weather staple, and made a bold appearance on the Fall/Winter 2011 runways with patterned looks from Proenza Schouler, liquid metallic hues from Alexander Wang, and in several offerings from Marc Jacobs.

Marc by Marc Jacobs
Proenza Schouler
T by Alexander Wang

Try a velvet (instead of sequined) dress at a holiday party, or throw on a sheer button down with a velvet mini and patterned tights. Or simply accent an everyday look with a hot velvet shoe, like Solange Knowles.

Velvet is also a hot look for the fellas, especially during this holiday party season. Velvet jackets are a great way to update the tried and true jacket-and-pants look. Trey Songz looked strapping in a brown velvet tuxedo jacket this weekend:

Here are some options for the fashion forward guy in your life:

I’ve got my eye on a jewel-toned blue or green velvet mini this season. Give this trend a try with these options:

Will you?
~Jihan

20 Responses to “Try a Fall/Winter 2011 Trend: Velvet Accents”

1. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

I’d go for the velvet black pants Zoe has on! Great post for upcoming holiday season!

2. Sharde Monet says:

@SHAQ NICHOLE I was just about to her velvet pants look so cute…and believe it or not I’ve even seen velvet leggings…I know alot of ppl on here throw shade at leggings but I would totally wear velvet leggings AS PANTS lol….

3. Kitty B. says:

Claire…any to clue to who made Kim K’s dress and where to get it?? If possible can you provide affordable options??? I already know her dress is out my price range.

Plz and thank you in advance :)

4. Kitty B. says:

@Sharde im with you on the velvet leggings **high5**

5. Sharde Monet says:

well two snaps for the velveteen leggings lol ^5 Kitty B!!!! ;)

6. Claire says:

@Kitty B as Jihan said, it’s Brian Lichtenberg. I’m wearing one of his dresses for New Years, weeee!

7. vanessa says:

Love Nicole’s dress and Zoe’s pants, i really, really love velvet!!!

espantajasandfriends.blogspot.com

8. Kitty B. says:

Thanks Jihan and Clair :)

@Claire owwwww…..

Now let me go in my corner and count my pennies, cause i NEED one!

9. la mala says:

i got the dvf cassiana in a mini version- i can’t wait to wear it out! it’s just the right amount of velvet for me.

10. Mona L says:

IDK if I can personally get jiggy with this velvet trend but its cute for others.

11. dyshaun says:

It is cute tho…

12. Daisy says:

I have a fitted velvet blazer from Theory that I have worn at least once during the holiday season for the past three years. I try and wear it different ways and I can’t wait to wear it this year!

Nicole Ritchie’s dress would look better if it was more form fitting. The dress is baggy and is hanging off her body. I also hate that she’s wearing those spring shoes with that winter dress. No bueno.

13. Kim ALWAYS gets it right!!! Yes honey!!!

14. Fashionista says:

Velvet mini dresses are hot

15. Gemini says:

Those purple velvets are so chic. Who designs them?

16. That first dress is absolutely amazing ! :)

17. Marthe says:

I hate velvet on myself, but i’ve got one legging in velvet from my mom, in the old times. It’s patterned with CHURCH WINDOWS. :| It’s one of the coolest pieces of clothing I have! Not that I wear it so much, for one reason or another I don’t find a good occasion for it.

18. Shantae says:

would you say that velvet leggings would still be in for spring/summer 2012?