November 3rd, 2011
Beauty, Hair
Natural Hair Blow Out Tips Straight from Celebrity Hairstylist Gabrielle Corney
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Want to go from your glorious head of curls to some seriously sleek strands? I recently tapped into the expertise of celebrity hairstylist Gabrielle Corney (she gave Carol’s Daughter founder Lisa Price her bouncy, healthy blowout for an HSN on-air appearance and is also the master behind looks on celebs like Va$htie Kola and long time client “Love & Hip Hop”‘s Olivia) to give us the scoop on some natural hair blow out tips.

Getting started
First things first, if your hair is damaged (you can tell by gently pulling at a strand and if it feels gummy, mushy, and/or snaps off easily, you just might have some damage) heat could exasperate the problem. Plus a blowout on damaged hair won’t be as bouncy and vibrant. And then why waste the time and money for a so-so outcome?

While going to a professional is highly recommended, if you’re a whiz with some hair tools, Gabrielle says after shampooing and deep conditioning your hair apply a leave-in conditioner making sure to comb through for even distribution. To make blow drying (and therefore your life) easier, divide the hair into 2-4 sections.

Using an ionic blow dryer is suggested as they make the cuticles lie flat and impart shine. Gabrielle prefers to use a Denman brush in conjunction with the blow dryer (a feat of awesomeness I was able to experience her do live), but you can also use a comb attachment at home. Be sure to also use a heat protectant prior to using any heat appliance. Gabrielle loves Carol’s Daughter Macadamia Heat Styling Hair Spray and Macadamia Heat Protection Serum.

Blow drying the hair section by section helps to prevent applying excessive heat to already dried sections, plus it makes it easier for you to get the job done. Blow the left side of your hair to the left, and the right to the right. Once the hair is completely dry, blow dry it in the direction the hair is going to be styled.

Now comes the flat or curling iron. Gabrielle swears by ceramic irons by brands like Babyliss, FHI, and Rusk. For shorter hair or hard to reach areas, a mini flat iron is a curly haired girl’s dream. Getting kinky hair straight can be a challenge for some if you’re doing it at home, but work in very small sections and take your time. Glide the iron through the hair adding a little flick of the wrist at the ends for a bit of a curl or twirling sections of the hair with a rod for soft waves.

How to maintain your blowout
Wrapping or pin curling the hair at night with a 100% silk or satin scarf helps keep your style while you toss and turn. For a quick way to bring body back to a limp blowout, Gabrielle also suggests using hot rollers because the indirect heat source is less damaging on the hair and only takes about 5-10 minutes to set the curl.

What about heat damage?
It’s hard to make a blanket statement about heat damage and how it pertains to natural hair because it really depends on the individual. Many kinky haired girls have several different textures around sections of the hair so while one area will revert back, another may become permanently straightened. As with just about anything, moderation is key if you want your curls to spring back.

Check out a few of Gabrielle’s favorite hair products in the widget below.

When Gabrielle Corney isn’t flying to Los Angeles or across the globe to style her celebrity clients, she can be found at Styles New York Salon in Manhattan (212) 730-6488. Follow her on Twitter @gabidoeshair.

Posted In
16 comments

16 Responses to “Natural Hair Blow Out Tips Straight from Celebrity Hairstylist Gabrielle Corney”

1. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

This is so good to know! Thanks so much Danielle! As a person with natural hair, I always get scared to blowout my hair or even have it straight just because I’m scared of the heat or damage at that. But, this article has some great tips and makes me want to try straightening my hair! Danielle, quick question: What about “hot combs” lol…throwback style. Obviously, that can create some serious heat damage, but how to prevent it?? Any tips?? Thanks!

2. Shawn says:

Yea Im a natural hair girl..and I had my hair straightened for the first time in a year and all my curls didnt revert back:(, but thatnks for the tips!

3. S says:

my natural hair has been acting up.. the front is permanently straight from heat damage and my below shoulder blade hair is thinning from straightening… i need tips to thicken it up

4. I want to see someone with my type of hair up there, yaya, olivia, and Vastie don’t have this grain of Nap! I love my hair, but these blowouts are Not the business for me.

5. Danielle says:

@Michelle I feel you…lol. I have a very tightly curled textured myself. The pics of Olivia and Vashtie are up there because Gabrielle Corney did their hair and I couldn’t think of a celeb with a coarser hair texture with a blowout. I would have thrown my hair up there but I’m wearing weave now…lol.

@S there isn’t a way to thicken the hair back up permanently. You can do braid outs and twist outs to blend the textures better, but you’ll have to deal with it until it grows out. Sorry. But hey, you might start a trend ;)

@Shaq girl, you took it BACK! lol. I’ll ask Gabrielle what she thinks of hot combs. I haven’t personally used one since I was a wee lad, but know people who swear by them.

6. Danielle says:

@Shaq she responded really quickly…lol. She said she doesn’t recommend a hot comb for at-home use. Then when I asked if they’re used in the salon (she said yes) and if they’re better than the blow dry/flat iron (she said no)…lol. Welp….lol.

Heat damage is hard to make a blanket statement about because we all have different textures and sometimes an individual can have several textures on their head. You can have a looser curl pattern say in the front that doesn’t revert back like the tighter pattern in the back and vice versa. So don’t straighten the hair too often if you want to limit the risk of heat damage and be sure to use a heat protectant.

7. binks says:

Great article! LOL at Michelle with this grain of naps. Has anyone heard about using natural oil as a heat protective? someone told me about grapeseed oil because it can withstand higher temperatures but I just don’t know

8. shelly says:

@ binks…that is a good question! I was wondering the same about other oils as well. I’ve used a heat protectant/serum before, and I feel like it made my hair sticky/stiff.

9. Sonique says:

I use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine anti frizz serum and it is a great serum to use when straightening natural hair. It is night and light, not heavy at all.

10. Miss Smith says:

I swear FBD reads my mind. I was just going to send in a question about this. Thanks for the tips!

11. tnetiny says:

What about reversion? I always flat iron my hair, but as soon as I walk outside, it’s back puffy again. Are there any anti-humidity products you can suggest. I need my blowout to last longer because I’m tempted to get that creamy crack, but I don’t have the guts.

12. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Thanks so much for the info Danielle!! I’ll definitely won’t try the hot comb method…lol..thanks again!

13. Danielle says:

@Miss Smith *in Miss Cleo voice* Call me now for your free reading! lol ;)

@binks @tnetiny I’ll ask Gabrielle your questions and tell you what she says :)

@Shaq Nicole You’re welcome…lol

14. Sydney says:

I find when blow drying my hair, it’s better to use a round brush. Using a comb or the denman brush leaves the hair frizzy and makes the flat iron necessary. You can ultimately use less heat. Also, I’d blow dry it in many small 2 in sections as well.

15. Belle says:

I recently got my hair blown out at the dominican salon and I absolutely love it. If you’ve never had your hair blown out before I’d totally recommend it especially if you have natural hair (no relaxers) I made a quick video so I could show the results http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0UWOANpKY Thanks for post btw I’ll be sure to come back to see more!