October 31st, 2011
Andre Leon Talley, Anna Wintour, Diversity, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

André Leon Talley is preparing his first exhibit in the gallery bearing his namesake at the Savannah College of Art and Design.

The exhibit will feature pieces from designers like Zac Posen, Oscar de la Renta, and Diane Von Furstenberg. And just in case your olfactory senses feel left out, Mr. Talley’s got that covered as well: “I want fragrance wafting through the ventilation system. Either Oscar de la Renta’s Live in Love, or Diane von Furstenberg’s Diane.” (NYTimes)

• Because all Latinas have brown skin, Temperely London thought it appropriate to name a pair of brown leather pants “Latino Leather Trousers.” The name of the pants has since been changed to “Lantino,” which in Latin means “latin,” so it’s pretty safe to say that Temperly just doesn’t give a damn. (Styleite)

• It’s high time Anna Wintour had her “The Help” moment, and Keli Goff over at Loop 21 will be damned if she doesn’t facilitate it. In an article listing the “Most Influential White Americans in Black America,” Goff cites Ms. Wintour, crediting her for “a number of covers featuring a diverse array of black women, among them Oprah Winfrey and First Lady Michelle Obama. Wintour also made history by featuring black women on the cover of the magazine’s September issue, first placing supermodel Naomi Campbell on the cover in 1988 (which Wintour has admitted sparked controversy) and later placing Halle Berry on the cover in 2010. Wintour is also credited with helping to establish black editors Andre Leon Talley and Edward Enninful as two of the most influential people in an industry not known for its diversity.” I wouldn’t dare diminish the moves Ms. Wintour has made to represent blacks in fashion. But if 12 covers in 23 years and 2 editors (one of which it’s safe to say the average black American has (sadly) probably never heard of) makes her one of the most influential white Americans to black American culture, then I guess Ms. Goff thinks it doesn’t take much to influence black folks. But, as they say, baby steps! (Loop21)

Thandie Newton, however, isn’t so impressed with the diversity of Vogue‘s covergirls: “Don’t get me started on black people being on the cover of big magazines. It’s so preposterous. I mean, I’ve been on the cover of Harper’s Bazaar four times; I’ve been on the cover of InStyle four times, but Vogue, not once. And people say to me, I mean literally, people have said to me, ‘What have you got against Vogue that you don’t want to be on their cover?’ And I just laugh. “ So she doesn’t cry. Ms. Newton blames the racial mood in the United States for this lack of diversity: “They [Vogue] don’t feel the need to represent because it doesn’t make any sense to them. It’s just baffling to me, but as usual America will dictate the ways things go and a magazine like Vogue will just follow America,” she said. “But it’s like, don’t you want to trail blaze?” While she makes good points, I think it’s important to note that Rihanna was the first black female in three years to cover British Vogue, and American Vogue has had at least four since 2008. (TVOne)

• Vogue had a couple of designers carve pumpkins for them. While many decided against making Jack-o-Lanterns (Nicholas Kirkwood, naturally, carved shoes into his pumpkins), this bespectacled, corncob pipe puffing gourd by eyewear designer Moss Lipow is my favorite. (Vogue)

~Jihan

13 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: André Leon Talley’s SCAD Exhibit, Temperly’s “Latino” Pants, and Anna Wintour’s Influence in Black America”

1. jasmine says:

savannnahhhhh! im a native so i love hearing about scad. i just hope its the one in savannah

2. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

VOGUE stopped being the litmus test of fashion to me a long time ago. The best fashion starts in the streets and makes it way up the haute couture ladder.

3. Shalanda says:

I hope to one day help create the Women of Color Equivalent to Vogue. Perhpaps I could team up with Fashion Bomb Daily ;)

4. I don’t know about Vogue but that pumpkin art is terrific!

5. Savage says:

LOL @ Jasmine for 1st!! But give me a damn break about Anna Wintour, I mean really? Are you f***ing kidding me? Like I am too damn done..And that makes her influential in the black community? She throws us a few covers and she sits next to that clown @ fashion week so she’s cool?

6. jasmine says:

thanks @ savage but i agree i just read the anna wintour thing and i feel like heres another reason to give some one the award for the great white hope. there are a lot of things that inspire us in fashion and just because she puts blacks on the cover to sell a few mags doesnt make her influential. its a marketing strat. big deal that doesnt mean a thing

7. NikkiBellaRay says:

Ha! They really used that word influential loosely didn’t they.

8. dayuum_chelz says:

i feel like anna is influential to black culture. every European and american person who is big in the fashion industry is influential to black culture. Modern day black women spend all their life trying to reach this level of “success” or “notoriety” in the Caucasian world so that they too can live like the white people. So they can lust after European designers who are openly racist and prejudice. So they can be even thought about by prejudice and racist magazine editors. So they can live lavishly like the white folk. Come on now this whole blog is a perfect example of why anna and others like her will forever influence black people.

9. Katie says:

Girl boo! @ Anna Wintour. Are you people out of your minds?! I can’t and I won’t with this garbage.

10. Miss Smith says:

Didn’t know Thandie had it in her to speak her mind like that. I like it!

11. Wuuuuuut? says:

LOL @ that Anna Wintour mess. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! The comedy.

12. lola says:

Anna, sit yo crusty alien bob down. I could, I should but I won’t.