October 20th, 2011
Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Winter Wardrobe
Style Inspiration: What to Wear for a College Visit

Veronikka says, “In November, I’ll be attending an informal open house at a college in Boston. I want to make a good impression, but not look like I’m trying too hard. Any suggestions as to what to wear (keeping the colder climate in mind)?”
Make a subtle splash during your college visit in a cape coat worn with skinny jeans:

Show off a bit of your style with either oversized glasses or a cold blocking hat; complete the look with chic booties:

The coat is a splurge, so we provided a few more affordable toppers; also wedges might be too much for walking around, so I’d actually recommend flat boots for your visit:

Stylist Marley Simone also put forth an idea, playing with browns and purples:

If you want to up the chic ante, slip on a pair of colored gloves and a matching floppy hat:

What do you think of these looks?

*See more of Marley’s style at www.marleysimonestyle.com.

21 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear for a College Visit”

1. let's eat cake says:

I would say no to stiletto heeled shoes.

2. LocalCeleb says:

Definitely something comfy on the feet, just went through this and we walked *everywhere*

Trying way to hard with these looks. I attend school in Boston. A majority of the campuses are open so no one is going to notice that one person with a splash of color. Just be yourself instead of being a “try hard”

4. shelly says:

Unless this is a private school visit where you will be getting interviewed and WONT be walking, I would do as the other posters said and just be yourself. Heels I feel are unnecessary, but a cute coat or bag, and a nice hairstyle will do =)

5. BeBe Jones says:

i love both looks, but HEELS on a college campus tour equals a bad idea *remembers cobble stoned walkways* I’d exchange the heels for flat boots, dope sneakers or comfy wedges *muah*

6. hehe says:

Everything is cute minus the heels not only because ” trying to hard” factor but a lot of college campuses are hilly and you’ll be walking a lot.

7. Claire says:

Sigh. I indicated in the original post that the stilettos (at least the Louboutins) were for illustrative purposes only and that I’d recommend flats or wedges for the actual visit. But since most comments seem fixated on the heels, I replaced the original graphic with a pair of wedges; the second widget also has flat options depending on your comfort level. x

8. classCie says:

Heels? lol. When I saw the title of this post, I was sure I was going to see some cute, comfortable, FLAT boat shoes or boots or something of that nature. Not heels.The rose gold watch is SUPER cute though…and i love elizabeth arden lip stick.

9. endESQ says:

Let’s talk about CAPES! I love love love love them for fall!

10. Mme CJ says:

No good deed goes unpunished, Claire. Now I need to know where to get those wedges that you replaced the heels with. I likey.

11. Claire says:

@MmeCJ The widget takes a while to refresh. You can get ‘em here:
    x

12. Dyshaun says:

Why is everyone so caught up with looking like they are “not trying too hard?” Colleges want you to try hard and they want you to think for yourself! Colleges are filled with pajama laden lazy bugs so if you have a head in fashion you will always look like you tried. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Effort is good.

With that said, Girl I feel you! Some women just have fashion on the brain all the time….Meeee too!

I love the capes and brimmed hats. Cute looks, Claire.

13. Crystal says:

i like both looks. love the pink gloves. i’m jealous of those that can and do wear capes. i cannot pull it off. not even a poncho sweater!

14. Aleet says:

Cape and skinny jeans; great advice. Lovvve that AK watch!

15. binks says:

@ Dyshaun agreed! Most colleges are starting to wish that their students dress up more and dress to impressed instead of wearing the “college uniform” i.e. some comfty pants/sweats, hoodie, and flip flops…lol I rather be overdressed to make a great impression. But Great looks Claire

16. Mz.Scott says:

Love it !

17. Sparkle Cupcake says:

Nix the jeans and present yourself in nice black slacks, printed top and cute flats or comfy wedges.

When you are visting campuses, please keep in mind that you are looking at your possible future and it starts with elevating yourself beyond your comfort zone, jeans are not appropriate.

Always dress for the next level

18. Brenda says:

Love it all, especially the camel swing coat with that awesome collar.

19. anonymous says:

Funny…a lot of the “lazy” people that I went to college with who wore sweat pants graduated and got their degrees. Lets not stereotype, people. I agree, it is good to look nice and professional for first impressions and when the time calls. But there is nothing wrong with wearing sweatpants and flips flops to class. The focus should be on the work, not the clothes.

20. Ty says:

4 in heels & wedges are too much. Its in your best interest explore the college during a visit, so that will require a lot of walking.

I think jeans are appropriate for an informal visit. Informal visit usually include a tour, a general overview of admissions, things of that nature.

21. binks says:

You go to college to get a degree so it isn’t a stretch that students who dressed in sweats and such get their degrees as well. There is nothing wrong with being comfortable when going around campus or to classes but you should always present yourself in the best possible light all of the time to go along with your hard work to set yourself apart from the rest of your peers.