October 18th, 2011
Homecoming, Style Inspiration, What to Wear

We’ve received a record number of wardrobe requests for Homecoming 2011!
It seems a lot of you are going to step shows, football games, and dances afterwards.
Many of you e-mailed when I was in the midst of Fashion Week in Europe (so I may have missed the deadline)…but in case you still have a big game coming up, hopefully I can help!

Melonie says, “Homecoming is coming up soon and I will be attending as an alumni. I’m looking for some ideas. I want to look very chic and sophisticated but have a little bit of an edge. I will be attending a step show as well as an after party.”
You can easily achieve a cute and comfy look by pairing a patterned long sweater with a tank and jeans, and punching everything up with a pair of hot shoes:

Get the look here:

You can make the look dressier by wearing a black dress under everything, then simply slipping off the sweater for the after party:

Angela Simmons knows the score!

Next up, Taryn says, “With my college homecoming rapidly approaching, I am still searching for the perfect outfit to wear to the game! I tend to be on the preppy side and I wanted to incorporate my school colors of green and/or gold. Can you help me out with some ideas?”
I’d suggest slipping a green blazer over a simple white tank, and bringing out the gold with accents like a bib necklace. Complete the look with easy jeans, gold nails, and a statement handbag:

I’d personally suggest flats for this Homecoming excursion, but if you want a little height, go with a wedge:

Lastly, Aisha says, “ I am looking for a BOMB dress for my homecoming (NC A&T) and nothing is really tickling my fancy. I’d like something like Ashanti’s dress. “

“Help!”
No luck finding Ashanti’s exact dress, though we found plenty of saucy options that would be perfect for Homecoming festivities:

You can go for an LBD with a BAD shoe, or a funky patterned number with simple heels. Finish it all off with a chic clutch:

Get more nighttime looks here:

If your homecoming hasn’t yet passed, hope you can use these! And if it has come and gone, these looks can work for any fall event, from super casual to nice and saucy.
Smootches!

21 Responses to “Homecoming 2011 Style Inspiration: Navajo Sweaters, Green & Gold, Bomb Dresses, and more!”

1. 05girl says:

too bad a&t homecoming was last weekend………………..

2. Martinique_Fr says:

Loving the gray and black YSL ankle booties and the Navajo cardigan.

3. sun.kissed says:

Fab looks all around! Oh if I had an unlimited budget…

4. luxcheri says:

Um yeah, I may have to sew me up a dress similar to Ashanti’s. That dress is bad. Off to the fabric store I go!!

5. Dyshaun says:

Nice post claire!

6. iluvthissite says:

I highly suggest flats for homecoming too. All that walking around can be torture in heels, and nobody wants to have that horrible walk you get when your feet hurt.

7. binks says:

Forget homecoming I want to have some of these as my staple pieces those Kandee sandals are to die for!

8. MIssRich says:

They have similar dress with the mesh cut-out (Ashanti) on Asos.com! in 3 different colors too!

9. Aisha says:

Thanks Claire.. but like 05girl said our #GHOE (greatest homecoming on earth) = NC A&T just passed but I did find something real nice!! next stop is home, for HU’s this weekend though!!

10. Cara says:

Those Kandee shoes though..I think I’m in shoe lust.

11. Shari says:

LOVE!!!!! I’m all about those looks…love the green and gold….especially the Navajo look! :)

12. FashionGun says:

ashanti looks like a tacky mess from 2005. that horrible dress and 14yr old ponytail smh

13. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

You can always tell when its asos.com because of that one model with her right arm stuck out all weird.

14. So sad I’ll be missing SPELHOUSE HC this weekend. :’(

15. JaLissa says:

Ditto to 05girl… #ghoe’s deadline was last week. but I will mos def use the inspiration when the boo comes to visit from DC! Thanks fashionbombs!

16. Crystal says:

so cute! i love gray…it calms me.

17. I like the top 2 :)

18. Lee says:

Just when I thought, i’d never fall inLove again…. So FAB!!!

19. [...] devotee, and recently picked up a $40 zebra print club banger (I actually featured it in this Style Inspiration).  There’s a wide range on what I’m willing to spend–but I’m totally fine [...]

20. [...] devotee, and recently picked up a $40 zebra print club banger (I actually featured it in this Style Inspiration).  There’s a wide range on what I’m willing to spend–but I’m totally fine investing in [...]

21. tmarie says:

I love all your style inspirations Claire, but do you mind posting wardrobe ideas that are more reasonably priced? :-)