October 17th, 2011
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm

Happy Monday Bombshells!
Hope you had fabulous weekends (I know I did!).

Let’s see what a few of our favorite celebs were up to, shall we?

The Black Girls Rock! Awards ceremony went down at the Paradise Theater in New York and welcomed stars like Taraji P. Henson, Angela Davis, and Erykah Badu. I love an animal print, so am totally feeling Taraji’s hot long sleeved snake patterned number! For Angela, an LBD is always chic, and I appreciate Erykah Badu’s eclectic gold boots and jacket. Hot!

Jill Scott was also in the building in all black everything. All black can be boring, but Jilly mixed it up with varying textures and pops of brushed metal accents with her long earrings and stacked bangles. Hot!

Model Alek Wek was also in attendance. Beautiful face, though I think a gown in a gorgeous bright color would have been more appropriate to show off her model body and flawless features. Hmm…

Estelle had the right idea in this flowing red satin gown by Ghanaian designer Mimi Plange. The color and dramatic neckline were the perfect combination for the awards ceremony. Hot!

Melanie Fiona posed with BET’s Debra Lee in a multicolored peplum Proenza Schouler frock and Sergio Rossi peep toes. I like how Ms. Fiona isn’t afraid to play with color. Hot!

Mary Mary looked classic and elegant in black sequins and a one shoulder red dress. Their looks say, “I’m grown and sexy.” Hot!

Po Johnson and Lala Vazquez posed for the paps, with Po in patterned pants and Lala in a white crochet gown and her favorite Nicholas Kirkwood lace ups. With Po, I would have removed the scarf and replaced it with a bib necklace, but Lala is hot! Love her bright lip color and the high slit on her dress. Work!
Over in Las Vegas….

Pharrell made an appearance at the Sugar Factory American Brasserie in a military inspired olive green jacket, white tee, and jeans. The outfit is cute enough, but check out those accessories! The Nerd belt is dope and I kinda like his Chanel shoes. They’re quirky, but fit his unique steeze.

Ciara wore one of her (and my) favorite designers, Helmut Lang, while running errands in LA. Loving how the high slit on the skirt reveals a peek of her Gianvitto Rossi x Altuzarra shoes (I’m a fan of those as well). Her outfit is super casual, but perfect for a relaxed day in sunny Cali. Cute!

Nicole Richie was also out and about in Beverly Hills, rocking her favorite Céline Spring 2011 bag with skinny black jeans and a coffee colored top. This is a classic example of when the accessories make the look. Her House of Harlow Nelly Lace up platform pumps are hot! Might have to get a pair.

Finally, over in the UK, Kelly Rowland flashed a pop of a black bra under a revealing slit front pink dress after taping the X Factor. Hmm…this looks screams for attention. And not in a good way. Ladies, you don’t have to show it all to be sexy. Better luck next time, Kells….
And that does it!
Who worked it the best this weekend?

35 Responses to “Weekend Hot! or Hmm…: Black Girls Rock! 2011, Plus Pharrell, Ciara, Kelly Rowland, and more!”

1. Estelle for the win! Total stunner in Mimi Plange!

2. sun.kissed says:

LaLa is stealing the show in this post! She looks all kinds of hot. Estelle looks good. Oh Erykah…

3. bougiehippie says:

Kelly looks like a slutty school mom…hated it!

4. Savage says:

Damn you Kelly..Not at all feeling LaLa’s lace tablecloth. Ciara looks wierd, like she almost got it .And Erykah can do no wrong in my eyes..EVER

5. Martinique_Fr says:

LaLa and Estelle are my top two on this post…. Oh and Nicole Ritchie’s shoes… HOT!

6. Jill Scott and Lala both look really nice.
    I love Ciara”s outfit! :)

7. Marthe says:

i love ciara’s outfit (I wish it was summer again, i’m walkin here in uggboots already…) , pharrells jacket and jills scott outfit. And oh yeah, Erykah is AMAZING. Always.

8. Personality says:

Necole Bitchie looks scary!

9. Mme CJ says:

Have to agree with @Personality. Necole Bitchie has that “deer caught in the headlights” look and those pink lips and that outfit are a bit much. She would look much better if she toned down a few things.

10. ohno says:

necole bitchie looks awful. time to keep it real, claire!

estelle looks amazing!

11. LocalCeleb says:

Not sure what’s up with Necole’s look, Love Mel. Fiona’s dress and peeps

12. Ladyshawann says:

Estelle,Mel F are doing it well. Mary Marys looks are aging them to me-both the dresses and heavy wigs.

13. Jaida says:

I LOVE Nicole Richie’s shoes! One word: HOT! Necole Bitchie looks a HOT. A**. MESS. The makeup looks kind of raccoonish and the dress reminds me of the Heatherette dress Teyana Taylor wore on her My Super Sweet 16 episode 5 years ago. NO MA’AM. Pharrell looked great as usual, Melanie Fiona looked gorgeous as usual and I loved Lala and Estelle’s looks!

14. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

I love Melanie Fiona’s makeup, and that racoon eye makeup on Necole is not the move.

15. Brittany...Proudly from the South says:

Can’t say that i love Necole’s racoon eye/pink lip combo….

16. Amer says:

Love Ciara look

17. LATINA says:

“Fellow blogger Necole Bitchie was in attendance in a lace A-line dress with a sweetheart neckline and a matching bolero. Necole always knows how to look youthful, fresh, and fun. Hot!”

Necole has a great blog, just not a great sense of style. It’s okay to say that…

18. Madpet says:

Black girls certainly do Rock!! My fav looks are Jill Scott, Mary Mary, and Melonie Fiona. And I love La La’s lipstick!!

19. Ashley says:

Sadly, I believe Kelly is trying way too hard.

20. SimplyMe says:

I actually like Po’s scarf, go figure.

21. SheQuin says:

What top is Alex Wek wearing? I must have it!

22. Mimi says:

Yall a clearly playing nice with necolebitchie cause she looks a mess!

23. Lula says:

i’m so over kelly.. smh

24. antiSOCIAL says:

Best:Nicole RITCHIE- She looks effortlessly sheik and those shoes…YES!!
    Worse:Necole BITCHIE- She has way too much going on with those raccoon eyes, pink lips, the big hair, AND the over the top dress-__- Choose one and tone the rest down!

25. whatevs says:

ok its reason most bloggers stay behind the scenes…

26. niksocool says:

I Looovvveee Necole Bitchie’s blog but she always looks like she just walked off the set of a Cyndi Lauper video

27. katie says:

1.I love that Estelle is wearing a dress by a black designer.
    2. THAT’S WHAT NECOLEBITCHIE LOOKS LIKE

28. Courtney says:

Wait… she said “Hmmmm” to Kelly, but she’s not gonna discuss Necole Bitchie looking a HOT steamin’ mess? I guess because that’s her friend. Oh.

29. Kishonda says:

I dont think any of them look great. Jill looks cute, but all black is a little boring for BGR

30. Yes: Melanie, Estelle, La La, and Nicole…RRRRitchie.

31. Msyenckopowa says:

Umm Alek looks weak in that outfit…. and Kelly? I over her looks..smh

32. Africaqueen says:

Kelly Rowland i love youuuuu……..but hate the outfit!

33. Africaqueen says:

Lvn Nicole Richie look.

34. EssDot323 says:

Necole needs a (new) stylist. Her whole looks is way too busy. She needed a an outfit to complement those fab tresses.

35. barleywinger says:

I hate it when magazine people act catty, and get their reasons wrong (showing a lack of understanding of fashion, colour theory and style) – and do it all to try and shame people.

Stop trying to create salacious headlines about Kelly Rowland, where there are none to be found. Exposing a black bra (even a fairly sheer and/or lace one) has been common fair even for average women since the early 1980s. Do you recall perhaps the “Madonna Wannabe” phase in which streets and clubs were filled with teens and 20 somethings wearing bras (with and without jackets) as tops? That was 30 years ago. It is not a shocking style to anybody who does not live under Sharia law or in a convent.

You are aware of which decade of which century this is?

That there is nothing wrong with partial or full exposure of anything (undies or body) so long as it is done in a manner where the style matches the venue (elegant styles to elegant locations, etc).

The only fashion problem here is one of incorrect colours.

In this bra exposing outfit, the problem is that the colours of the various elements do not all match one another or even all match her skin tone.

Her lipstick matches her skin tone. The earrings match her skin tone. However the lipstick and the earrings do not match fully. The bra picks up her hair colour perfectly (a lacier one would be better than a fully opaque and plain one). The effect is a bit jarring but mostly forgivable, until we get to the colour of the gown itself.

The only large fail here, is the colour of the gown itself. The gown clashes with her lipstick. The gown clashes with her earrings. The gown clashes with her with her skin tone (badly).

She needs a stylist with a comprehension of basic colour theory in fashion (and skin tones by season). Change the colour of the gown to one would look good on her, perhaps a semi-sheer emerald green, or a sheer lace gown with a nigh neck, or even a bronze tone gown with red under-tones. Then you would have a far more striking and flowing image (but only if you also fix the accessories to match as well).

But – and I cannot stress this enough – Kelly Rowland should never ever wear any garment in the general colour group of fuchsia, pink or salmon tones. Not ever.

Not unless she wants to hear people cry out, “My eyes! my beautiful eyes!” and leave us all with a pain in our retinas that lasts for several minutes after she has departed.

New stylist. Better colours. Please.