October 12th, 2011
Fashion Bomb Exclusive, Fashion News, Rachel Roy

Designer Rachel Roy recently sat down with us to discuss her latest line of comfy tees and sporty jackets created in collaboration with basketball player Amaré Stoudemire:

The collection, which mixes soft masculine touches with fluid fabrics, is pegged for the tomboy who likes to look fly when keeping it casual.

About the unlikely pairing, Rachel says, “In my collaborations, I always look to partner with someone who is amazing at what they do in a field I don’t work in, to give my girls/customers a fresh outlook and introduce them to something they perhaps did not know much about. I think it makes things much more interesting and innovative when you bring 2 different viewpoints together, and I also am always looking to learn and then share what I learn. We both are visionaries and both have a passion for style and design. There are great team logo pieces but there are always just great pieces that don’t have NBA team logos on them. It works great anywhere – including courtside!”

About working with Amaré, she said, “The way that Amar’e infuses his own sense of style and personality into what he does was also a telltale sign that he is the best and has a passion for the art of fashion. It was a great opportunity to work with Amar’e to create something that is casual, sporty but still sexy and cool for women to wear not only to basketball games, but for sportswear as well. I’ve been a Knicks fan, ever since I moved to NYC, I love going to Madison Square Garden for the extraordinary energy it creates, the same type of energy you can literally touch that you also feel at fashion shows…”

Sounds good. A few items from the collection are above.
I’m definitely feeling the Letterman jacket.
Would you rock with this collection?
Stay tuned for more updates at www.rachelroy.com.

7 Responses to “Fashion and Basketball: Rachel Roy Discusses her Collaboration with Amaré Stoudemire”

1. Ladyshawann says:

I like the shoe & cuff, both are timeless. I hope it does well.

2. JR says:

Everything RR touches is gold!! Love this collab and collection!

3. mY oPINION says:

Looks boring. Depending on the price point, this may not do well.

4. Marsha D says:

Yawn…..

5. [...] rest is here: Fashion and Basketball: Rachel Roy Discusses her Collaboration … [...]

6. sun.kissed says:

I saw the collection at Macy’s yesterday and was not impressed. I don’t see why he or she couldn’t come of with this on their own. The pieces are common and they didn’t offer anything dynamic. I’d rather have the dress she’s wearing in the photo.

7. Jes says:

mail bomb on RR’s dress in the pic? please, please, please!