September 27th, 2011
Celebrity Style, Shopping, Trend, Winter Wardrobe
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

20110927-070307.jpg

You know what grinds my gears? The fact that there are so many hot and wearable fall trends this season, but no fall weather in sight. Grrrr. There really aren’t many more 80 degree and muggy days a girl can take, ya know!

Perhaps I need a glass of Gatorade for my extreme thirst for fall fashion, but when you see this round-up of 5 fall trends, you’ll see why I’m so anxious.

1. Color Blocking.

Don’t call it a comeback, color blocking has been here for years, but made a big splash last spring and is trucking along for fall. I actually read an article in the September issue of Vogue that discussed how fashionistas are flocking to color in droves and are seemingly ditching basic black which was once the “color” of choice.

While this season will call for deeper yet still bold pops of color, you can easily rock your spring color blocking gear into the cooler months. Seasonless fabrics help you get more bang for your buck—simply add layers like sweater coats and knit tights to keep out the chill.

2. Midi Skirts.

We saw a lot of “secretary chic” inspired style at shows like Tracy Reese and Milly and even some of those aesthetics mixed with a bit of grunge at Altuzarra. The biggest thing to come out of this is a skirt length that isn’t at the knees nor isn’t maxi—it’s midi! Hitting somewhere below the knee but above the ankles, this skirt length looks hot with everything from tough motorcycle jackets to tucked with a pussy bow blouse.

Since midi skirts can be a little tricky to rock because it hits at a point that can visually destroy the length of your legs, be sure to pair yours with your highest of heels and avoid any additional leg lengthening robbers like ankle boots or socks. Unless your legs rival Naomi Campbell‘s, of course.

3. Prints.

Bold prints hit the runway at shows like Sass & Bide, Diane von Furstenberg, and Stephen Burrows. The freshest way to wear prints this season is to mix them. Three foolproof ways to mix prints? 1. Stay in the same color family 2. Go opposite in scale (mix smaller prints with larger ones) 3. Pull it altogether with a solid color

4. Texture.

From wool pencil skirts to suede booties to leather to fur accents, texture is big this season once again. Keep it fresh and interesting by mixing textures like leather and lace or even chiffon with wool.

The cool thing about this trend is that if you’d rather not blow rent on a single item, you can easily find great pieces at your local thrift (no need to live in big cities like NYC or LA—turns out some of the best thrifting can be found in smaller towns or even online). You can also buy inexpensive accessories like patterned tights, wool over the knee socks (which I recently spotted at H&M for about $9), or add an inexpensive faux fur stole to last year’s trusty fall coat.

5. The Cape Coat.

Sometimes all you really need to update your fall wardrobe is a statement coat and this season the statement is being made with this very 60s silhouette. It’s part Twiggy, part military, but all fashion.

Which trends are you most excited about wearing this fall? :)

~Danielle

Images via Style.com, ELLE

17 Responses to “5 Fall 2011 Trends: Color Blocking Makes a Comeback, Midi Skirts, Bold Prints, and More!”

1. WaliyyahS says:

I definitely plan on wearing 70s-esque clothing plus all of the above. Finally got me a fur vest & I plan to add at least another fur vest to the wardrobe.

2. BlkRose says:

I think I’m going to raid my moms closet. She still owns loads of clothing from the 70′s. I can’t wait. Block makeup is a no no! a little too futurtistic and david bowie for me. It does look good on certain outfits though.

3. yusufswifee says:

all of them…but most excited that I already own clothes that will fit into these categories…I may purchase a leather skirt or some leather pants…

4. I am so ready to make my way to boutiques and vintage stores in Atlanta. I am really loving those prints and skirts. ASOS here I come.

5. Joslyn says:

Saw a fur waste coat and a Wilson’s leather at Goodwill in great condition for $25…who’s getting them? Me!

6. Savage says:

Ok..I am over color blocking!!!! And how does one under 30 wear a cape and not look like she’s playing dress up? Or since we’re on the topic of fur vest, I have a crazy fox vest but I still feel like I’m doing the most when I put it on..

7. hehe says:

I love everyone except color blocking. I hated it this summer and I hate it for the fall/winter.

8. JuJu says:

I love all but I am afraid of all that texture I cant rock leather skirts hats off to those who can!

9. binks says:

agreed Juju! I’ am going to have to see more examples of the mixing textures because that can go so wrong. I like the colorblocking for fall/winter in those months why wait to summer and spring to get out the fun colors

10. Nelly says:

Definitely gonna do the color blocking, excited that color is still incorporated into the fall wardrobe! I want to get a pair of red pants this season. Never been one to mix prints, but I’m gonna try. Hope it works…lol. I saw a midi skirt online that I was thinking about getting and a cute trench cape. Used to think that capes were only for old ladies, but some styles are really nice. I love ethnic prints and I’m going to get more of the Native American prints that are really big this year.

11. Crystal says:

i’m so over color blocking, been doing it since last fall and i’m done! i guess the only ‘trends’ i will be following is the prints and textures. i pulled out my leather leggings last night just to make sure they still fit. lol. i cannot rock capes but i’ve seen it done right. you have to put together just right and know how to pull it off. attitude will make or break any look.

12. Loved color blocking… now we’re print blocking. Glad its continuing on… though I would have been anyway!

13. Siyam says:

I’m excited about every single trend!!

14. Love your blog. I think the faux fur will continue to be big this year. Color blocking, well maybe only until November, then I think we’ll see a change.

15. [...] detour beforehand to catch the sunset by the Pier. For a crisp autumn day, I decided to hop on the cape trend by throwing a Via Spiga Asymmetrical Cape over an Elizabeth & James button down and Seven for [...]

16. [...] detour beforehand to catch the sunset by the Pier. For a crisp autumn day, I decided to hop on the cape trend by throwing a Via Spiga Asymmetrical Cape over an Elizabeth James button down and Seven for all [...]