September 26th, 2011
Celebrity Style, Obama Family, Shopping

Stacey wrote, “I have a formal event coming up and would really like to recreate the look First Lady Michelle Obama wore to the Black Caucus Phoenix Awards.”

“Who designed it? And can you please help with some more affordable alternatives?”
First Lady Michelle Obama wore a black double face paillette fishtail skirt from Michael Kors’s Fall 2010 collection to the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Annual Phoenix Awards dinner in Washington, D.C. While the skirt debuted on the runway with a deep v neck top, FLOTUS went for conservative with a crew neck and Peter Soronen corset belt.

Since the look is from Fall 2010 (and we’re in Fall 2011), it is no longer available, and unfortunately there isn’t anything quite like it on the market. You can get the sequined maxi look with this number by Haute Hippie, though it doesn’t come in black (and it costs $1,295, which is probably a deal breaker):

If you’re ok with a similar general look, ASOS might be your best bet with this $153 Sequin Side Split Maxi Dress :

And if any black maxi fishtail skirt will work, try these on for size:

Hope that helps!

Posted In
23 comments

23 Responses to “Wardrobe Query: First Lady Michelle Obama’s Black Caucus Phoenix Awards Michael Kors Fall 2010 Sequin Fishtail Skirt”

1. therealRealy says:

Also, that is a Peter Soronen corset belt. I think she looks great!!!

2. Brooklyn Lady says:

I saw this pic on another blog and just loved the entire look. So simple yet chic! The 1st lady looks SPLENDIFEROUS!

3. ShrenAKO says:

She looks amazing!

4. ummmm says:

U can find one kinda like it on Ebay (no idea what size ur looking for): http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICKY-MARTIN-Halle-BLACK-sequin-maxi-skirt-wrap-size-1-/360366449944?pt=UK_Women_s_Skirts&hash=item53e783a518

not sure if that helps…

5. Sing says:

Loved this look. So elegant.

6. Another suggestion would be to have it made. Sequin material isn’t the cheapest, BUT I’m sure it’ll be a cheaper option!

7. Claire says:

@Pink Panties & Leopard Lipstick Good point, getting it make might be the cheapest option. Sequins can be tres cher off the rack.

8. Fashion Boys says:

She shouldve left her boobs out ):

9. Martinique_Fr says:

FLOTUS looks amazing! Such a chic and simple look…BRAVO!

10. I prefer Michelle’s look to the runway models

Go Obama!

11. Lee says:

She IS STUNNING. He (Mr. Obama) must be so proud of her.

12. Cee Lo says:

Michelle looks amazing and Barack’s suit is so sharp, looks like great quality!

13. ladyshawann says:

Wow love this look on our Flotus

14. Schlap says:

Love this. Simple and chic. very effortless.

15. FiFi says:

Work it girl! she’ gorgeous yet reserved. Sexy yet consertive. She is the ish!

16. [...] 2011 in Michael Kors,Michelle Obama,Style with 0 Comments First Lady Michelle Obama wore a black sequined Michael Kors fishtail skirt from the Fall 2010 collection at the Congressional Black Caucus [...]

17. You can never go wrong in Michael Kors. The First Lady looked absolutely FAB-U-LOUS in this outfit. Now I’ve got to find myself a budget-friendly version of this skirt!

18. SxyDread says:

I’m LOVING that skirt. Michelle is just so chic, it’s fantastic! Obama’s suit is SHARP, very well tailored. he looks great! just adore these two.

19. GLAMORHOUS says:

if she had did an updo it would have set the whole look off.

20. Kahalia says:

Disagree at Glamohous. She went perfect with taht hair down. PERECT. Updo at a formal occasion is so overdone.
    She looks AMAZING! I gasped when I saw it on http://www.mrs-o.org.
    I am getting that outfit made, too, for a formal I have in the spring–down to the belt , honey!

21. Stacey says:

Umm and Pink Leopard. Thank you. The eBay skirt is beautiful, but not my size so I’m going to get it made.

22. Diggs says:

I saw this on another site and just knew FBD would have the info on that skirt. I think I could get it made too….also I love that racerback gold dress…I’m going to have to look back at the collection.

Barack looks great and Michelle looks AMAZING….she is stunning in this outfit!