September 23rd, 2011
Beauty
Weekend Makeup Idea: Satin Finish Foundation
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

The latest craze in foundation is the satin finish. Not quite dewy, not quite matte, satin. The look allows for a bit of a glow something similar to what you’d get after a quick run. It’s totally natural and just about every skin type can rock it.

It was also the look celebrity makeup artist Mally Roncal, who celebs like Beyoncé and Jennifer Lopez have called on for their signature makeup looks, created for the Tracy Reese Spring 2012 runway show. Using her Perfect Prep Poreless Primer (my FAVE primer of the moment) to prep the skin, Mally then continued with her Ultimate Performance Professional Foundation for flawless coverage, then her 24/7 Blush to create a natural flush, and set it all with her Poreless Face Defender, the world’s first clear setting powder. The finished look is pictured above and below.

You can get the look at home by following Mally’s tips, but you can also recreate it with your liquid foundation and using powder just on the T-zone to get that satin finish. Don’t forget a coral blush (the darker your skin, the brighter the blush) to create that gorgeous flushed looks all the models rocked at Tracy Reese. Since the emphasis is on the skin, you can do little else with the rest of your face—some mascara and gloss will do ya.

Satin Finish foundations to try:
Make Up For Ever Face & Body Liquid Makeup
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15
Stila Natural Finish Oil-Free Makeup
Black Opal True Color Liquid Foundation

For more info on Mally Beauty products, check out MallyBeauty.com and QVC.com.

Would you rock the satin finish look?

~Danielle

Image via beautylogicblog.com

Posted In
49 comments

49 Responses to “Weekend Makeup Idea: Satin Finish Foundation”

1. EntertainmentsFuture says:

Looks cool. I got something new to try this weekend..

2. jillibooboo says:

gorgeous! i hate foundation thats too matte…looks artifical

3. Monica says:

im trying it too.

4. Jihan says:

that model in the first photo is absolutely stunning. I could look at her all day!

5. I love the natural look but what about women like myself that has sensitive skin and doesn’t like foundation(powder/cream). I like to be as natural as possible and use blush, bronzer,highlighter,mascara,etc to enhance my own features. I feel foundation can be a little bit too much . The most I use on my face is Ponds Cold Cream to remove makeup and Eucerin or Olive Oil to moisturize my face . Any ideas for a chica that doesn’t like foundation to set.

6. Follow Us! http;//theabsolutemost.wordpress.com

7. @Jihan, I concur. She is gorgeous. Beautiful everything.

8. dyhnic says:

Nice that you can fake a smooth skin without it look like you have too much makeup on. Only the blush is too much on the models faces.

It’s worth trying

9. Caribbelle says:

the usual then…I don’t like the matte look on myself and dewy is a joke to my skin lol

10. Coco says:

Hmmm would this work with incredibly oily skin tho? My skin is a real oil slick by midday, this seems like it’ll get me there much earlier..

11. Danielle says:

@theabsolutemost to get a finish like this without foundation is tough unless your skin has a natural radiance to it. You can use a liquid highlighter like Benefit Moon Beam to highlight the tops of the cheekbones, the bow of the lips, and the tip of the chin, but you’re not going to get the same effect without foundation.

Satin finish foundations tend to be much lighter in coverage than other finishes though so I don’t see them being “too much” unless you actually use too much…lol. Or you can use a tinted moisturizer. Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, MAC, and others make good ones.

12. Danielle says:

@coco if you have very oily skin, a matte finish foundation would be better along with a good primer underneath to help it last the day. It’s going to look satiny and “luminous” anyway from your skin’s natural oils…lol. Or keep blot powder and blot papers handy for touch-ups throughout the day.

13. Danielle Monifa says:

I agree with Danielle’s comment to Coco. I have combination skin and opt to wear matte foundation only because it eventually ends up looking satiny in my oilier areas which I love. I make sure to go light on applying the foundation to my drier areas just to avoid that artificial “I put this on in the dark” look.

I occasionally mix my dewy and matte foundations (same brand & line) to achieve a satiny finish whenever I grow tired of the matte look on certain areas of my face. It’s sometimes a hassle when you’re running late so you can opt to pre-mix your foundation in a separate and much smaller jar. Otherwise I think it’s worth a try if you have several foundations lying around and want to test out the satin finish before spending the money on a new formulation.

14. LawyerChic says:

Love this post! Mac Mineralize Satin Finish plus MSF on top are my go too night foundation and powder. They make you look absolutely radiant!

15. I live in Florida so, I’ve never been a fan of heavy makeup due to the heat and humidity. This is look is perfect for the weather here.

16. Coco says:

Lol at luminous…yea right now my skin does look luminous, & but by 1 it’ll b in its oil slick stage but I will invest in some oil blotters…usually i just steall extra napkins from Starbucks to do the job!

17. Savage says:

My oily skin makes me glow anyway..which I have finally won the battle over!!!

18. Belle says:

Riiiiight @ Jihan! I litterally uploaded this girls pic as my dp on my bbm and tumblr page. When I saw that first pic I was in awe! The rest of the models look GORGEOUS! I always want to try this look. I just recently bought a cream foundation from Kifahri and it looks amazing now I need some blush….

19. Danielle says:

@Coco omg—I do the same with Starbucks napkins! Best oil blotters on the go…lol.

20. Indigo says:

Toliet seat covers make great blotter paper… Save the middle part.

21. Brandi says:

covergirl’s naturelux foundation has an awesome satin finish too. i totally recommend it, plus it’s cheap.

22. Tracy says:

Cannot wait to try this! Even though, I have oily skin so I have to be careful that my after run glow does not end up like a sweaty mess lol!

23. dyshaun says:

i love Mally Roncal! She gives great great tips whenever she is on QVC.

24. Mocha says:

Omg.. I just bought Nars Sheer Glow yesterday.. it’s amazing! I barely feel that I have it on. it’s not shiny, the color is perfect and you only need a small amount. My skin is dry especially in the winter so if there are any ladies with dry skin Please try Nars! you won’t be disappointed.

25. [...] is the original post: Weekend Makeup Idea: Satin Finish Foundation « The Fashion … • Posted by admin • Friday, September 23rd, 2011 at 11:58 am • (0) Comment [...]

26. binks says:

Cute look, will have to try this not fan of matte foundation

27. kayla says:

Danielle what is a good day time moisturizer to use on your face? Do we have to change it because of the change of weather?

28. Danielle says:

@kayla what’s your skin type and concern?

Yes, typically as the weather cools, you may need to change your moisturizer depending on your skin type and of course the climate of where you live. I’m oilier in the summer and drier in the winter so I usually need to switch. This past year though I’ve just used Perricone MD Face Finishing Moisturizer from Jan and throughout the year because the weather hasn’t been to harsh season to season here in NYC. Normally I use Face Finishing in spring and autumn then I would switch to Cosmedicine Medi Matte in the summer and would use Perricone MD Olive Oil Face Hydrator in the cold winter. I apply SPF via a mineral sunscreen when my moisturizer doesn’t have one.

A good daytime moisturizer will contain SPF and will hydrate the skin. All skin types need moisturizer. A good night time moisturizer is typically heavier than the day time one and contains ingredients like antooxidants, glycolic acid, DMAE, Vitamin E, Vitamin C Ester, etc.

29. kayla says:

My skin is just like that. But im looking foe a mosturizer that will moistjrize well but wont make my skin more oily

Would perricone be a good day time moisturizer?

30. kayla says:

I live in the bronx btw..

31. I might have to try this type. I have really oily skin so I try and stick to matte types.

32. Siyam says:

I would definitely rock that look :) I feel like that’s the look I’ve been trying to achieve and I kept getting either that dewy stuff or I was so matte I was flat. Thanks for the article Danielle!

33. Starla says:

I have been noticing it, but didn’t know what it was. Thanks for the info.

34. fashionismylife says:

so i looked in my bag after reading this post and i realized i already had the makeup forever foundation!! lolz…but anyways, i can definitely vouch for it for this look!! dewy without being oily and looks young and fresh! it honestly looks like you have no makeup on at all and it feels super light on your skin. also i feel like i dont need as much concealer. totally recommend :) and thanks for the post!

35. Danielle says:

@kayla I love Perricone Face Finishing Moisturizer—I’ve been using it for the last 6-7 years now. it definitely moisturizes without feeling heavy at all. It has DMAE and Vitamin C Ester in it as well. It’s not cheap though—I dish out $65 every 4-6 months for a new container.

Reviva Labs is a great brand that you can find in vitamin stores or online at http://www.revivalabs.com and they have products very similar to the ingredients found in Perricone and other high end products, but the price tag is more drugstore. Check out their Sun Protective Moisturizer or their Ultra C Cream. I LOVE their Vitamin C DMAE Alpha Lipoic Night Cream as well.

@fashionismylife woo hoo! Score for you!

Thanks, everyone! Now we all have to go out and rock our satin skin :)

One other thing—for those with very oily skin, see my comment above about how a more matte finish is more ideal for oily skin. But since the weather is cooling down in most parts now, you’ll be able to rock the satin look, too.

36. kayla says:

thank you sooooooooooooo much danielle! such a big help! :)

37. The T says:

Lovely! Thanks! I’ve been trying to explain this look to makeup counters across three states. LOL I wanted something minimal with colors that compliment my skintone that could go from day to evening without too much fuss. The satin finish is perfect. Gotta print this pic and get shopping!

38. Laddi Da says:

Please try using Milk of Magnesium to control oil! It is amazing at keeping you shine free for 8-12 hours. I have very very oily skin and this is amazing for me…just goggle it to get clear reviews and details on how to use.
    ..Danielle why not mention this to readers rather than hi priced primers all the time??

39. Aleet says:

What about napkins from Chipotle as oil-blotting cloths? lol
    I’m serious. I think they have a similar composition…

40. Danielle says:

@kayla you’re welcome!

@theT that’s awesome—glad I could help :)

@Laddi Da I’ll never mention a product I wouldn’t use on myself to others. I’m weary of using milk of magnesia because it’s used to treat stomach acid making it very alkaline. Not to mention it can get chalky and ashy under darker skin tones. Plus reviews for it seem to be mixed as some love it, but there are also some who say it’s not good for long term and it broke them out. Also any products I mention here are suggestions. I say things like “try an eyeshadow like”—doesn’t mean you must go out and buy that particular product–it’s just a suggestion. There’s also mentions of drugstore products in just about every post, but like with department store products, they’re only products that I’ve actually tried on myself or on my makeup clients.

@Aleet yes, Chipotle napkins (and the food) for the win!

Does anyone know if Nars foundation is better than Mac?
    Mac seems to make me break out a little, has anyone tried Nars and Mac and could give me some feedback.

42. Danielle says:

@Anonymous “better” is relative—depends on the look you’re going for, your skin type, and any skin issues. I do hear from a lot of people that MAC foundations tend to break them out. I don’t use their foundations regularly, but I do like their Studio Tech in my kit for brides or anyone having their photo taken, but wouldn’t recommend it for daily use as it can be a bit heavy on some skins.

Your best bet is to get a sample of NARS at Sephora (they’re happy to give them for any brand) and to do a spot test on your skin to check for allergies. I’ve found that foundations with Phenyl Trimethicone in it personally make me break out.

And if your skin is particularly sensitive, brands like Bare Escentuals and Monave Minerals make mineral foundations in a range of shades for brown skin. Might be worth getting a sample to try out :)

43. Maria says:

Great post Danielle!

44. Chemistry Major says:

@ Danielle i just want to enter the debate regarding MOM…..Any cosmetic product may cause break outs on various parties as skin sensitivities vary and LIQUID FOUNDATIONS & POWDERS are made up of CHEMICALS that are absorbed into pores…so every product you recommend has the risk of causing a break out. MOM is very alkaline however that in and of itself is NOT HARMFUL to the skin…their must be a reactant to produce ill effects..the contents of your stomach and the skin on your face have a different chemical makeup what happens with stomach acid will not happen on the face…simple terms MOM can be ingested..however LIQUID FOUNDATION CAN NOT. Any makeup can oxidize/turn ashy…however MOM can be lightly applied and alleviate that issue…ashiness only happens if TOO MUCH is applied. Still in the interest of providing un biases options this should be mentioned alongside ALL OF THE CHEMICAL PRIMERS YOU SUGGEST…all products dont work for all people..you recommend plenty of products you haven’t tried and you state you haven’t tried them so why should MOM be different?

45. Danielle says:

@”Chemistry Major” we can check IP addresses, you know. So I know you’re the same person as “Laddi Da” and “Sparkle Cupcake” amongst maaaaaaany other screen names. You even come to my own site under several screen names (same IP) to leave comments. Not sure why you feel you have to change your name just to have a conversation, but ok.

What are these “plenty of products” that I recommend that I say I haven’t tried?

For each category mentioned in a post, I provide at least two products I personally have experience with. The reviews on MoM are too varied for me and I would never use it on my own face. That’s it.

46. Keitha says:

I love foundations that have a satin finish. It give your skin great luminosity. My fav is NARS Sheer glow. Even if you have oily skin (like me) you can still use a satin finish foundation, you just have to prime your face correctly. I use Milk of Magnesia (yes, I know its a laxative and it sounds crazy but it works YouTube it) or you can use any primer that is designed to combat oiliness such as MUFE All Mat. Once your face is primed correctly I guarantee you won’t end up looking like a grease ball.

47. Pennie Hanson says:

awesome

48. GREAT! There are always some pretty things.

49. This web site definitely has all of the info I wanted
    about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.