September 23rd, 2011
Fashion News, Kanye West
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• The Nelson Mandela Foundation has launched a sportswear line, 46664, named after his prison ID number. While I haven’t rocked a polo in a minute, Mr. Mandela might be getting me back into the trend with these bold hues.

Think you would wear his gear ? (Jezebel)

• Don’t you wish the CFDA would stop commissioning designers to make fab capsule collections and limited edition pieces? As part of their CDFA/Vogue Eyewear 2011 project “The City,” the council has called upon Rebecca Minkoff to design a pair of sunglasses worthy of shading the eyes of any platform wedge teetering fashionista. Minkoff offers these “The Bowery” shades, named after the famed New York City street that used to be a mecca for drunk hobos, but now boasts overpriced real estate, complete with the most trendy roaches and rats the city has to offer. If anything, these sleek shades make perfect eye-guards for those mornings after celebrating The Bowery’s true roots. Get yours starting September 29th at Sunglass Hut. (Fashionista)

• Here’s a piece from The Muppets x Opening Ceremony collection. It is, as I’m sure you expected, mostly just some tees and sweatshirts (and a sprinkling of button downs) with Muppets on them. (Fashionista)

• And now, some vintage Kanye West, performing a poetry slam version of “All Falls Down,” complete with the staccato meter and renegade vocal inflections we expect from the genre. Kanye West: transcending all genres from the very beginning. (Refinery29)

• In collaboration with Italian mosaic artist Sicis, Christian Lacroix has created a furniture collection I imagine one might find in the townhouse of Absolutely Fab’s Edina Monsoon. Yet Lacroix used a more obscure reference as the inspiration for his design, as he tried to “imagine how a modern-day Theodora would decorate her home.” Theodora, by the by was the daughter of a bear trainer who grew up to be a courtesan and a political and women’s rights activist. Would you put any of these pieces in your home? (Racked)

~Jihan

12 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Nelson Mandela’s 46664 Clothing Line Launch, A Look at The Muppets x Opening Ceremony Collection, and Christian Lacroix’s New Collaborative Furniture Collection”

1. EntertainmentsFuture says:

Amazed at Kanye’s clairvoyance. Thats determination, drive and passion. Because even back then he knew he was going to be a problem..

2. Joan says:

Nelson Mandela clothing line? Who is behind all of this?

That clip of Kanye is so circa early 2000′s he is not the same person today.

3. All types of YES for vintage Kan, the Louis Vuitton Don!

4. Savage says:

Nelson Mandela’s clothing line which is named after his prison number..I mean if someone is going to capitalize off of his pain suffering it might as well be him..But if he really needs the money he should just ask..dame shame

5. dyhnic says:

The colors with black and floral motif make chairs the interesting.
    Miss Piggy goes stylish!!!!!!!!

Nelson Mandela clothing line? Who is behind this? if a part goes to a charity then it is something different.

Cat eyes stunnaz

6. sun.kissed says:

I’m really interested in seeing who will be rocking Mr. Mandela’s clothing line. The sunnies are cute and I’m digging the furniture. Kanye is definitely not the same person he was back then. Same cocky, same drive amped on heartbreak and crazy.

7. Natalia says:

4 666 4…hmmmmmmmmmm

8. TheDoll says:

I love Lacroix! Kudos to Jihan for putting me up on “Absolutely Fabulous!” She’s a wreck!

9. Jihan says:

@TheDoll, I WISH you knew how many AbFab moments I had during #nyfw (darling, sweetie, darling). Except I had no Patsy Stone to share them with. I was the lone black Edina!

10. DoubleR says:

Um…I’m obsessed with those Christian Lacroix chairs. I would definitely put that in my home, zero hesitation.

11. The T says:

Dear Ikea, please un-deliver my living, bed, and dining rooms. Mr. Lacroix, please deliver one of each number urgently. Just given the profound symbolism of Mr. Mandela’s mission, life, etc., I would support the line. I haven’t looked into the origins/ownership of the line yet, but on a whim/without the deets, I’d incorporate it into my collection for a worthy cause. Throwback Kanye…gotta love it. Opening CeremonyXMuppets…very reminiscent of the old Ice Berg collaborations and so forth via my high school days. It’d be interesting to see again paired with school uniforms (to annoy the principal and break dress codes LOL), but I need something a bit more “serious” for my wardrobe now.

12. LinLin says:

I would def wear what Mr. Mandela puts out!