September 16th, 2011
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Instead of actually wearing the dress, Liya Kebede holds it up against her for the cover of Numéro China’s October 2011 issue. But since that cinched waist could only fit a five-year-old, it’s probably better she didn’t try to squeeze into it. (Beauty is Diverse)

• Unfortunately, the mesh crochet look seems to be trending for spring, and Loeffler Randall and Suno‘s macramé shoe collaboration will not be left out. While I would usually just ask, I’m stamping a “Hmm...” on these joints. Still… would you wear them? (Racked)

• While it is unclear which fantasies they’re portraying (and what exactly is going on), Prada‘s fashion film “Real Fantasies” is quite cool indeed. Check it out! (StyleCaster)

Time Magazine profiles Franca Sozzani, EIC of Italian Vogue. They say, “These days, the magazine’s niche readership — high-end fashionistas and arty intellectuals — gives Sozzani the freedom to experiment. She uses that power for good. “Franca sees the bigger picture. She always has done,” says Anna Wintour, Sozzani’s legendary counterpart in the U.S. “She completely and utterly understands that Vogue is about much more than editing a magazine every month, but that it has to play a vital part in setting the agenda for the fashion industry.” (Time)

• Added to the growing list of fashion insiders who don’t like to be comfortable is Jil Sander, who is open about her abhorrence for leggings. She says, “If I had the power, I would ban leggings.” Fortunately, she has no such authority. (Stylelist)

~Jihan

30 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Liya Kebede Covers Numéro China #12, Prada’s Trippy Fashion Film, and Jil Sander Also Hates Leggings”

1. ummmm says:

that Prada film looks like an acid trip from the 70s, shag clothes included!

2. Nessa B says:

Whats wrong with leggings? I don’t understand what there is to hate about them.

3. Tricia says:

Liya Kebede…gorgeous as usual

I kinda like the mesh shoes…

Leggings are fine…WHEN NOT WORN AS PANTS.

4. Bribri says:

Tricia I totally agree with your leggings statement.

5. T says:

But they are a pants of sorts!

6. Chandra TheStylist says:

:: I’m 6 months pregnant & never was a leggings fan b4 but I live in these suckers! I literally buy them every week! Lol

7. Crystal says:

you notice the people that hate leggings are like 250 years old? get over it! i’m sure i won’t be wearing leggings at a certain age either but i know back when jill was hitting up the clubs in her hay day she had on leggings and thigh high boots.

8. Savage says:

Lol @ Crystal!! I’m sure she hated pants like Coco Chanel hated jeans. I didn’t dig leggings til I had a crazy drop in weight and had to find a cheap substitute. Since then I now live in leggings. And Liya looks stunning.

Leggings = Lazy

10. Seek Selah says:

Jihan.

You are doing a great job! I’ve enjoyed all your posts. Keep up the good work :)

11. Kitana says:

Usually people that hate leggings don’t have the bod to pull them off. So hate on, but I’ll keep turning heads in mine. If leggings aren’t pants then what are they? I’m Laughing Out Loud at that one….

12. Tricia says:

***FYI FOR THOSE THAT DON’T KNOW***

Leggings as pants refers to wearing them with regular length or cropped tops. They are meant to be worn with tunics, dresses, long cardigans/sweaters, etc.

In short, when wearing leggings, COVER YOUR ASS!

13. Diggs says:

Thank you Tricia….I totally agree. I wear leggings, but make sure whatever I am wearing them with cover me all the way to my lower thigh. I have RARELY seen someone pull them off as “pants” without looking stank.

14. sun.kissed says:

LOL at the dress being for a 5 year old, that’s probably why she’s holding it up as strange as that looks. I like the shoes, just wonder how well they would hold up. Jil needs to have a seat and be more concerned with those crow’s feet cracking all over her face and that turkey neck. Hate that!

15. Crystal says:

so ya’ll must be talking about the target $5 leggings that i wear to bed? i agree @Kitana. there are different weight and fabrics in leggings and i wear some as pants. if i was just going to wear them under tunics and dresses…they would be called tights. i do too many squats to cover up my leggings. lol. this is the never ending legging debate! #teamleggings.

16. @Tricia, AMEN! I’m so tired of seeing my nubian sistahs out in the streets with a crop t-shirt, black leggings, n WHITE UNDERWARE for the world to see!

17. Tricia says:

tights have feet…like pantyhose

18. SxyDread says:

@ Crystal… AMEN. I’m not kicking my own ass in the gym daily to NOT be able to showcase my legs (they may not be as bad as Claire’s but they’re bad damn it!) and buying cheaply made leggings is a definite no-no but TRUST, I wear my leggings, proudly.

19. Lyn says:

Retire the leggings, you can be comfortable with jeans too! And if you don’t want to wear jeans, wear a dress, you can’t get more comfortable than that. Leggings are sloppy and lazy!

WEAR OPAQUE STOCKINGS WITH A DRESS!

20. McKenzie says:

I agree, leggings are abhorrent!

21. Mari says:

I like leggings, but i only wear them during the fall months when it starts getting a lil chilly to bare skin always with a top long enough to cover my butt and not because I don’t have the body for it. Bissh please, I’m just a lady :-). Shrugs.

Those crochet shoes are beyond ugly. Ugh

22. Savage says:

This is hilarious, pay the extra 20 or 30 bucks, get some thick, well made leggings and wear them how u want. I wear them as pants alllllllll day. And now its getting cool out? Baby Bye! lol Leather boots, black leggings sans my underwear peeking through, white tee and my motorcycle jacket..Boom

23. Kikidiva says:

I will wear my leggings regardless if they are “in fashion” or not. Eff it.

24. dyshaun says:

I love Jil’s clothes but Im pretty sure gravity has affected every where else….like it has her face and maybe thats the reason for a legging ban?

When ppl abhor something they usually dont like it for THEMSELVES then project that onto everyone else.

25. Bronze says:

Those who hate leggings are not real fashionistas. Be GONE!

26. Pink Crystal says:

When you dont cover your backside in too tight leggings or wear see thru ones you want everybody to notice. What we notice is how cheaply and unshapely you look in them.

27. dayuum_chelz says:

i say wear what the fuck you want because we live in a free country where we can do that shit.

28. Frost says:

I hate when women wear leggings and don’t cover their crouch and ass.

I’ve seen plenty of cameltoes and those are not cute on anyone.

29. Please says:

@Tricia PLEASE There are no rules in fashion! If you have a nice rear from kick boxing and cardio why shouldn’t you wear a crop top with your leggings? Have a seat. To the rest of ladies wear what you’re comfortable in. There are several opinions in fashion and few facts. The OPINIONS expressed here are not the rule.

30. A moes lolo says:

Not everything that you wear is comfortable.