September 14th, 2011
Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• We’re in the home stretch of Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week. Here’s what’s going on at the tents today:

Anna Sui Spring 2011 RTW

Norma Kamali 9-11AM, Rochambeau, 9:30-10:30, Michael Kors, 10AM, Nanette Lepore 11AM (streaming), Ports 1961 12PM, J.Mendel 1PM (streaming), Nomia 1:30-2:30PM, Chado Ralph Rucci 2PM (streaming), Milly by Michelle Smith 3PM (streaming), Shamask 5PM, Anna Sui 6PM (streaming), Juan Carlos Obando 6:20-7:30PM, Elie Tahari 7PM (streaming), B Michael America 8PM.

Don’t forget to catch those steams on LiveRunway‘s youtube. (MBFW)

• Ladies, W Magazine Creative Director Edward Enninful is not feelin’ your leather leggings. When asked which trends he would like to die in an interview with The Cut, he said: “We’ve got to retire the leather leggings. I don’t find them flattering. Personally, for me, a woman in leather leggings is not my kind of woman. They’ve been around forever, and there’s been so many different incantations of them. I just think we need a little break.” (The Cut)

• The first portrait painted of Anna Wintour will hang in the National Portrait Gallery in London, put on display just in time for London Fashion Week. Painted by Alex Katz in 2009, it’s a testament to the lady who has certainly changed the face of fashion publishing. Still, I think the artist could have given the inmitiable Ms. Wintour a more intense look in the eye. (AMA)

Essence Editor-in- Chief Constance White was honored last night at Emerge! with a Fashion Innovator award. The editrix was beaming as she was presented with the award by designer Tracy Reese. I chatted with the show’s producer, Tai Chunn who was only too happy to be part of honoring White: “When I first came into fashion as a little boy Constance and a few others welcomed me with open arms and showed me the ropes, so it is my duty to give back to them.”

• On the possibility of replacing Galliano at Dior, Marc Jacobs said: “It would be an honor… there’s no question that the two great couture houses in Paris are Chanel and Dior…. I think it would be a very hard thing to turn down.” Well, duh. But what everyone really wants to know is if you’re actually going to take the position? Is this beating around the bush driving you as nuts as it is me? (Racked)

~Jihan

15 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Edward Enninful Is So Over Leggings, Anna Wintour to Hang in The National Portrait Gallery, Essence Magazine’s EIC Constance White Honored as Fashion Innovator”

1. Mona L says:

I’d have to agree with Edward and Hip Hip Hooray for Marc!

2. Crystal says:

leather leggings have been around forever? umm, so have leather shoes…so now what?

3. BeBe Jones says:

LOL @ Crystal!!!

4. JuJu says:

Speaking of leather are these leather panel dresses “in” now? I feel like I am seeing them everywhere

5. yusufswifee says:

TEAM LEGGINGS….clearly this man has never had a baby or experinced fluctuating weight:-) I still need legging anon…Haven’t even been wearing them lately – but then it was summer:-)

6. sun.kissed says:

That portrait must be Anna 30 years ago. Team Leggings all day, especially since fall is here!

7. Miss Understood says:

Team leggings all day! Leather leggings??? Eh…..

8. dyshaun says:

Leggings FTW. Especially leather paneled ala Alexander Wangggggg. Boy, stop.

9. Miss Smith says:

Edward’s been in my head! DEATH TO LEGGINGS!

10. Bribri says:

So tired of leggings, especially when worn as pants. They Are Not Flattening!

11. SxyDread says:

Edward doesn’t have to like leggings since he’s not the one wearing them… next.

12. [...] at Barbara Bui in all black everything, pairing a textured leather top and leggings (undoubtedly to the horror of one Edward Enninful) with black and charcoal [...]

13. jstar says:

love leggings, love leather leggings! but Edward could be right in saying they are not flattering since a really good pair are hard to come by. but whenever i see a woman in them, i restart my search.

14. [...] semiannual EMERGE! Fashion show put on by the D. Williams Public Relations Group on February 14th. Past honorees include Constance C.R. White, Editor-in-Chief of ESSENCE magazine, who received the award last [...]

15. [...] semiannual EMERGE! Fashion show put on by the D. Williams Public Relations Group on February 14th. Past honorees include Constance C.R. White, Editor-in-Chief of ESSENCE magazine, who received the award last [...]