August 31st, 2011
Celebrity Style, Men's style, Shopping
Men’s Wardrobe Query: 6 Cool Stores for the Big and Tall Guy

Jordan asks, “Where can a Big & Tall guy in his 20s get trendy, affordable clothes? I love stores like H&M and Zara, but – of course – there’s no need for me to even go in to look for myself. I don’t want to be stuck with the basic, dad/older uncle clothes. Please help!”

To answer your question, I contacted Rachel Johnson, stylist to basketball players Amaré Stoudemire , Chris Bosh, and Lebron James. She had the following recommendations. Check it out:
1.Ralph Lauren

She says, “Ralph Lauren is the ideal place to shop for polos, suiting, casual plaid shirts, cargo pants, outerwear coats.” Peruse their selection at www.ralphlauren.com.

Make a bee line for the big & tall section. Johnson says, “They’re fantastic for fall jackets, sweaters, denim, corduroy.” Order online at www.bananarepublic.com.

3. Levi’s

In addition to your typical denim, Johnson says, “They have jeans with inseams up to 38″!!” Awright! See more at www.levis.com.

4. Michael Bastian

Rachel says, “For investment pieces, check out Michael Bastian. His cuts tend to run long yet slim and fit guys as tall as Amar’e Stoudemire & Chris Bosh straight off the rack.” Find store locations at www.michaelbastiannyc.com.

Johnson explains, “For a gentleman who lives outside the retail range, custom is the way to go! Propercloth makes affordable custom shirts with stylish fabrics for under $100. Sleeve lengths up to 40″. Choose collar styles, buttons, cuffs and all!” Order your gem at www.propercloth.com

6. Indi Custom

She says, ” You can design your own jeans and ensure fit on this site. There are tons of washes to choose from, 10 fits, and 8 measurements they require. But don’t fret! Take the measurements from your favorite jeans for duplicity’s sake. You can also create the ultimate leather jacket on this site and choose your leather weight, color and lining!” Um, I want to use this site! Get your customized pieces at www.indicustom.com.

That does it!
See more of Rachel’s work at www.thomasfaison.com. Also be sure to tweet & follow her at @lovingrachel and @thomasfaison.

Do you guys have anything to add?
Smootches!

17 Responses to “Men’s Wardrobe Query: 6 Cool Stores for the Big and Tall Guy”

1. MissTrish says:

I am so glad you asked this question. My boyfriend is 7 feet tall and it is very hard shopping for him.

2. Rose says:

My ex is 6’7 and over 350 lbs ( think of Big from the show “Big and Rob”) His staple is a white T under any short sleeve button-up and over-sized jeans. I know this may be a long shot but are there ANY fashionable style options for him. Something comparable to the stylish fashions of any slim man yet flattering to his size. Please help

3. Siyam says:

This is amazing! I love this whole article. It was very much needed for the taller man. I used to date a tall men, and I wish I’d known about these sites. Thanks Claire!

4. Siyam says:

P.S. Rachel Johnson’s work is PHENOM!!! Can’t wait to see more of her work!

5. Jinx Moneypenny says:

Excellent, some of these aren’t really my s/o’s style but I’m working on it, lol.

6. Cmoni says:

@MissTrish Yikes I thought my man @6’5 was tall!

I think finding items for tall men depends on his style. Tons of “urban” wear is already large so it is relatively easy to find casual clothes (if that is his style). I have found that levis for jeans and RL work well. Honestly there is no simple solution but luckily most major department stores including Macys and Nordstrom have a big and tall section just expect to pay a little bit more.

There are more options for a tall man than a tall woman, I’m 6ft and have to go through hell to find proper fitting pants!

7. fashionrocks says:

Hey Claire, what about Boris Kodjoe’s clothing line “Alfa” which offers customer made items starting at $29 and up to $75?

8. Mona L says:

My 6’2 non balling fiance would love this! lol

9. bobcat says:

great post, claire! i am 6′ and date taller.. i just sent this to all my exes, lol

10. Wallflower says:

Aw! As a lover of the big boys, I’m really digging the article.

@Rose- Gap online makes larger sizes and – try not to be repulsed here- but Burlington Coat Factory makes big sizes. You can put a nice outfit together if you can find clothes without urban logos on them : /

11. RoxyDivine says:

My hubby is 6’6″ and 300 lbs (he recently lost 130 lbs!) and we are in love with Old Navy (check in store & online)! He has been able to get an entire new wardrobe and ditch the oversize streetwear he was forced to wear bc they do make them very big. I have even been able to get great pieces at thrift stores. Hang in there I do understand your delima.

12. Rose says:

Thanks a bunch @wallflower and @RoxyDivine

13. tiki says:

Kobe Bryant should be recognized for his choice in clothes. His style is a collection ov clean lines and less gawkiness. Why in the world LeLoser James’ picture is on this page is a mystery to me. He has no style at all.

14. Tall Man says:

I must say. You guys picked the best models for tall men. I am a fan of the NBA and by far I think these guys have make the best fashion statement for tall men clothing. Let’s just hope we see them play this year and not have this NBA strike go on forever….

15. Alden says:

I have a shop on etsy called Le Grand Garcon that caters to big and tall men.

16. Ed Rossiter says:

shirts do maketh a man…

17. James Warwick says:

If you’re in the UK – take a look at http://www.2tall.com. I’m 7 foot and they’ve got the best range of tall mens jeans i’ve ever found.